ThiccThanos

Cégep student applying to McGill. What's my chances and any tips?

Greetings fellow Canadians🇨🇦

I'm a Quebec cégep student in the IB who's applying to McGill University's law school in a couple of months. According to McGill's class profile, 24% of its law students were directly admitted from cégep, which is way more than I believed. I thought that almost everyone does an undergrad before and that there is a tiny minority of Cégep students, so turns out I'm wrong lol. 

Here are my stats: 

- R score of 34.402 that should be able to get up to the McGill average of 34.87

- My letters of reference should be pretty good, one from my IB extended essay supervisor and one from my English teacher to flex my English

- My CV is excellent, lots of ECs and I did a 6 week internship at a charity in London this summer

- I haven't written my personal statement yet but I'm sure it will be very good, I write well and my aunt, who is a lawyer, said that she could take a quick look at the end to fix some stuff

- Perfectly bilingual in both French and English since birth

So what do you guys think are my odds? 

I'm also applying for Sherbrooke co-op, UdeM and Laval and I'm absolutely not doing an undergrad. If I don't get into McGill, that's really too bad, but I'll just go to UdeM or Sherbrooke, which I'm sure of getting in.

P.S- For people outside of Quebec who don't know what CEGEP is, that's normal, so here's the Wikipedia page to find out more about Quebec's weird education system: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP

Hi,

First of all, there is in fact a minority of students coming directly from CEGEP. The program has 180 places and in those 180 places there is only 40 places for CEGEP students (which is 22.2%). Back in June, I asked Admission how many CEGEP candidates had received an offer for the upcoming school year (2019-2020). Turns out that there were only 20-25 CEGEP students at the time. (It's possible that we are more now because some people were still waiting for an answer and some were still making up their minds about accepting their offer of admission). Most of McGill Law students have completed an undergrad. I also remember (I could be wrong) that the average age of the students is about 23 years old. (CEGEP students are usually 19-20 years old at the start of the program) 

You should be good with your letter of reference, your CV and your grades. Your PS has to stand out and show that you're mature enough because that's what the Admission Committee is looking for regarding CEGEP candidates. You should also take a look at McGill website to see what exactly they are looking for in general. It is recommended to answer the following questions in your PS  Why law? Why now? (why not wait to do an undergraduate first) Why McGill? I think it's not important that you start worrying about the interview for the moment but it is the biggest part of the admission process. Your grades, your PS, your letter of reference and your CV gets you to the interview, but the interview gets you into the program. I truly feel like it's THE decisive step of your admission.  Every CEGEP students have to pass one.  You do need to be well-prepared for it even though you won't know what will be discussed in those 20-25 minutes. But like I say, you still have until March 1st 2020 to apply and you still have a month or two after that to worry about the interview.  

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate if you have more questions.