Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am trying to create a budget for first year and I was wondering if someone could give me an estimate of how much first year textbooks are going to cost.

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Osgoode has a page where upper years sell their books for much cheaper than the bookstore, if you're lucky you can find all your books there. I did that and it cost me around $500, including some new books I had to get from the bookstore. I also know people who bought ALL their books from the bookstore and that cost about $1000, but I can't speak to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1L was a while ago but I remember everything new costing me around $1000. I would also suggest buying used when you can, but as a 1L I wouldn’t suggest you buy old editions of books (as an upper year you can get away with it because you know what you’re doing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, healthlaw said:

but as a 1L I wouldn’t suggest you buy old editions of books (as an upper year you can get away with it because you know what you’re doing)

What do you mean? Is it cause editions are edited differently in different editions and/or the commentary (if any) is different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, thedraper said:

What do you mean? Is it cause editions are edited differently in different editions and/or the commentary (if any) is different?

It’s because cases might be missing and it will be harder to follow along. A new case can make old cases irrelevant so it’s not that you can’t use an old casebook, it just might make it harder to follow along (depending on how many changes there were)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 12:44 PM, misterorora said:

So Osgoode has a page where upper years sell their books for much cheaper than the bookstore, if you're lucky you can find all your books there. I did that and it cost me around $500, including some new books I had to get from the bookstore. I also know people who bought ALL their books from the bookstore and that cost about $1000, but I can't speak to that.

Do you have a link for the page where upper years sell their old text books? Hoping not to spend $1000 on books my first year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 11:30 PM, healthlaw said:

1L was a while ago but I remember everything new costing me around $1000. I would also suggest buying used when you can, but as a 1L I wouldn’t suggest you buy old editions of books (as an upper year you can get away with it because you know what you’re doing)

How do we know what books to buy used or from the store? Just based on if it's a recent edition or not? Are there certain types of books (I assume case books are like this) that it's less or more advisable to buy used or new?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Foggy2018 said:

How do we know what books to buy used or from the store? Just based on if it's a recent edition or not? Are there certain types of books (I assume case books are like this) that it's less or more advisable to buy used or new?

 

So professors will usually tell you which edition of the book to get, sometimes it's the same edition that has been used in the previous year and sometimes it isn't. When it has been the same edition as a previous year, I've just bought a used book because it's much cheaper. 

 

Hope that was helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, misterorora said:

 

So professors will usually tell you which edition of the book to get, sometimes it's the same edition that has been used in the previous year and sometimes it isn't. When it has been the same edition as a previous year, I've just bought a used book because it's much cheaper. 

 

Hope that was helpful!

Thanks, Mate! That was super helpful. I really appreciate it, as I'm sure others do as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • I think I once passed through Saskatchewan by train, and I've flown over it a number of times. But seeing comment excerpts in the sidebar attracted me to this thread. I was just wondering why OP is so against a lunch break. If she doesn't want to eat lunch okay, but why should other people be denied the opportunity?! Eating in class is problematic for multiple reasons (sound, smell, sight, spring to mind). And what's wrong with having a day off in the middle of the week, in which she could study all day at home, sipping old fashioneds?
    • I scored a 156 on the July LSAT and I'm seriously considering canceling my score. My poor GPA doesn't help my situation either. I consistently scored between 152-162 on PT's. My list of schools I'd like to get into goes something like this; McGill, Calgary, Queens, Dalhousie, Windsor and then Western. Any input, advice or general help would be amazing for me as I'm struggling with this decision.
    • Okay, listen here, ass hat. I like to do my reading at home, the way I've been doing it for the past four years during my undergrad. Obviously it worked for me since I got into law school. I'm not interested in lugging my books all over Hell's half acre trying to find a quiet corner of the library or student lounge to read in when I can do it from the comfort of my couch with an old fashioned. Furthermore, I don't need someone to block out time in the middle of my day for me to do my readings since I'm a night owl as is. It would be much more productive for me, and undoubtedly others, if we could set our own schedules. By the way, the period goes inside of the quotation mark. Idiot. 
    • On the bright side, having your thumb up your ass might prevent you from speaking out of it. 
    • At Dal we do not pick our own schedules in 1L. We're randomly assigned one of three first year sections (A, B, or C) and the schedule is completely determined for us. 
×
×
  • Create New...