Sign in to follow this  
brokebutwilling

Is it possible to apply to law school after finishing 2nd year?

Hello, just a really broke undergrad student hit with osap cuts + deregulated fees. I was wondering if there are ANY law schools in Ontario that I can apply in the beginning of my third year? So due to my financial constraints (we *love* the new osap :)), it would make a great difference if I can attend law school a year earlier. I dont want to burden my parents further- they're already doing a lot for me to afford my post secondary education, and attending law school would mean that I would be able to obtain a line of credit to support myself.

I currently have a 3.78 gpa (1st and 2nd year combined) and will be writing the LSAT on January 2020 (which seems to be the last LSAT testing dates generally accepted by all Ontario schools). I currently PT at 163-65 range but I hope to raise this further (I know that my real LSAT scores may be different!).

I am curious if applying at the beginning of my 3rd year would be possible, especially pertaining to Western law. Western law website says:

"A competitive candidate in the General Category will have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate university study, (although most of our admitted students have completed a four-year degree), have an A- (82-84%) (GPA 3.7) average preferably overall, but particularly for the last two full years of study, and an LSAT score above the 80th percentile (160 or above)."

If I apply in the beginning of 3rd year, I will have 3 years of undergrad under my belt as of April 2020. Does this mean I will be eligible to apply in my 2nd year? Are there other schools (hopefully in Ontario but I'd love to hear other options as well) that accept applications as a 3rd year student?

Thank you in advance!! xo

In third year you can apply but usually they only take students with very very high GPAs (and likely high LSAT scores)

• Like 1

I applied to two Ontario law schools in my third year with a slightly higher GPA but a lower LSAT score. I got into both schools I applied to, and if anything, I regret not applying to more schools. At the time, I didn’t really think I’d stand a chance as a third year applicant and didn’t want to waste the money. Most schools require you to have 3 years of full time undergrad studies before starting law school. If you’re already writing PTs in the mid 160s, think about writing the LSAT sooner. With those stats, and a good personal statement, I think you’d have a good shot at most schools in Ontario, except U of T. And if you’re really worried about finances, U of T might not be the best option for you anyways. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

You may want to also consider the fact that the average age in law school is around 25-27, and it may be good to take a year or two off to travel and work before you go. Once you start law school, the hustle and grind is never-ending. This is coming from a K-JD. I don't regret going to law school right out of undergrad, but I was definitely one of the youngest in my class and one of the youngest lawyers in the field. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to enjoy the simple pleasures in life before I made this leap. 

• Like 2

@astrath, thank you for your kind reply, would you be willing to share what law school you applied to? 

also I do wish I could take the lsat earlier however due to some family circumstances I can only take the January one 😕 do you think this would affect my admissions? 

39 minutes ago, brokebutwilling said:

@astrath, thank you for your kind reply, would you be willing to share what law school you applied to? 

also I do wish I could take the lsat earlier however due to some family circumstances I can only take the January one 😕 do you think this would affect my admissions? 

I applied to Western and Windsor. I got into Windsor in January, and Western in June off the waitlist. My best LSAT was 157 though, so if you pull off a 163-165 I imagine you’ll have a good shot. Try and keep up your grades (or improve them) in third year! My CGPA was 3.8 and L2 3.85 (including 3rd year). I don’t think Windsor accepts the January LSAT, so that may affect your chances there. For other schools, I would imagine 3rd year applicants are accepted later in the cycle anyways so it wouldn’t matter too much. I’ve heard of 3rd year applicants getting into Queens and Osgoode, so maybe try applying to those schools!

Edited by astrath
  • Like 1

I applied to law school when I was in my third year of university for the latest admissions cycle (2019). I got into Queen's, was waitlisted at U of T, and I didn't wait long enough to hear back from Western. This means I'll be going into 1L without an undergraduate degree. @astrath and @wtamow are right, you need either a standout GPA or a standout LSAT score (if not both) to pull this off. It can definitely be done though, so if you're determined and confident I urge you to go for it! 😊

Feel free to DM me if you want more information about my experience or if you want any advice about the process. 

• Like 2