Sign in to follow this  
SELIM

Chances 158 LSAT, mature student

I'm applying to UofA, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and UBC.

3.8 Undergrad BA Business (2011), 3.08 MA Economics (2014). I'll have 4 years of small business banking experience by the school year start date.

What do you think ?

In Ottawa and Calgary (is your Undergrad L2 3.8 or higher?).

In UBC if your Undergrad GPA is 87% or higher (after drops).

First, congrats on a strong Undergrad GPA and respectable LSAT score! However, because of your MA GPA, I hate to say that your chances at the U of A appear to be slim to none.

The U of A Admissions is notoriously numbers-based and the following formula is a decent predictor for receiving an offer: GPA x 22.5 + LSAT = 242 or higher. It appears that your MA GPA would pull your index score too far down. The U of A calculates your GPA based on your last 60 credits of post-secondary - in your case, your MA and likely some of your BA (see the link below for further details). Even if your MA was only 30 credits and your last 30 (or so) BA credits were 4.0, your calculated index would still fall too far below 242 to be competitive. 

I suggest that you peruse the link below and the U of A “Accepted” thread to do your own calculations and predictions. You may find it more worthwhile to focus your applications to schools that use Masters grades as a “soft” factor. It may also save you $100 and a whole lot of heartache! 

Good luck!

On 7/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, TimTheEnchanter said:

First, congrats on a strong Undergrad GPA and respectable LSAT score! However, because of your MA GPA, I hate to say that your chances at the U of A appear to be slim to none.

The U of A Admissions is notoriously numbers-based and the following formula is a decent predictor for receiving an offer: GPA x 22.5 + LSAT = 242 or higher. It appears that your MA GPA would pull your index score too far down. The U of A calculates your GPA based on your last 60 credits of post-secondary - in your case, your MA and likely some of your BA (see the link below for further details). Even if your MA was only 30 credits and your last 30 (or so) BA credits were 4.0, your calculated index would still fall too far below 242 to be competitive. 

I suggest that you peruse the link below and the U of A “Accepted” thread to do your own calculations and predictions. You may find it more worthwhile to focus your applications to schools that use Masters grades as a “soft” factor. It may also save you $100 and a whole lot of heartache! 

Good luck!

UofA will likely only take into account undergraduate marks (although they require transcripts from all post-secondary insitutions), so I think OP is fine. From https://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=942

General Admission Requirements

In measuring the potential of applicants, the Faculty Admissions Committee relies primarily on the undergraduate grade point average (GPA) and the performance on the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

The GPA is determined by reference to the applicant's most recent ★60 of study in university credit courses, provided those units of course weight are completed by February 1 in the year in which admission is sought. The GPA and the LSAT will be used to create a Prediction Indicator to rank the Regular Applicants. In their assessment of the Prediction Indicator, the Committee may take into account exceptional circumstances that adversely affected particular grades or overall academic performance and/or LSAT score(s), but do not pose an ongoing issue in terms of the applicant's ability to succeed in law school.

In a limited number of cases, the Committee may consider a broader range of factors beyond the Prediction Indicator, including the difficulty and quality of the applicant's previous academic work, employment experience, extracurricular and community activities, physical and cultural factors, and economic disadvantage, in order to distinguish between applicants with similar or identical Prediction Indicators.

Edited by RGoodfellow
I hate formatting

On 7/30/2019 at 11:34 AM, RGoodfellow said:

UofA will likely only take into account undergraduate marks (although they require transcripts from all post-secondary insitutions), so I think OP is fine. From https://calendar.ualberta.ca/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=942

I had the same concern last cycle after reading the Calendar and spoke with Laura at Admissions to confirm their policy. Unless things have changed from last cycle (and I see no indication as such - the Calendar you refer to is dated 2015), Laura confirmed that they use the last 60 credits of your pre-law academic record to determine your Admissions GPA, and that it does not matter whether they are from a Maters or Undergrad program.

I agree that the wording in the Calendar is misleading, and even the Admissions website (link below) does not clearly state how graduate/post-graduate grades are taken into consideration.

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/jd/admissions

At the end of the day, I recommend that the OP do their homework and, if they don’t trust the authority of anonymous posters such as us (😊), they should call Admissions themselves. I can attest that they are lovely people and very helpful.

• Like 1