SlickRick

Anyone else get a sketchy email from "Courtney Lauren Orser"

"This is your last warning your University of Western Ontario mailbox will stop sending and receiving messages in the next 72 hours. Kindly increase your mailbox size by filling out the necessary mailbox requirement. CLICK HERE to complete"

The IT department at my work has made certain that I don't trust e-mails like this, considering I haven't had a first warning, I am concerned with the validity of the email. That being said, perhaps it's perfectly legitimate. Anyone else? Upper year students?

• Like 1

When Western IT legitimately emails you, they'll use a subject line and won't link to a Weebly URL. You're going to get a lot of those "attention" and "emergency" emails (unfortunate because the spam system filters out legitimate emails while having these ones go straight into your inbox), you'll learn to spot them very quickly.

Welcome to Western. These emails will happen for the rest of your time there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I also got another email today saying:

Re: Refund Payment

A payment has been processed to you.  Attached is the transfer copy for your confirmation and digital signature.         

LOGON to complete.

Martina Marlene De Thomasis

For Account Payable / Controller/CFO

© 2019: Uwo College

I don't know what I would get money back for...I haven't even paid my full tuition yet. Can anyone confirm if this is fake?

2 hours ago, lawgal77 said:

I also got another email today saying:

Re: Refund Payment

A payment has been processed to you.  Attached is the transfer copy for your confirmation and digital signature.         

LOGON to complete.

Martina Marlene De Thomasis

For Account Payable / Controller/CFO

© 2019: Uwo College

I don't know what I would get money back for...I haven't even paid my full tuition yet. Can anyone confirm if this is fake?

It's fake. The attached zipped file is a giveaway. 

I’m shocked at the number of emails I’ve received of this nature in just the last two weeks. My undergrad email, in my entire four years of using it, only received one email like this. 

Surprised Western doesn’t have a better handle on this. 

14 minutes ago, TobyFlenderson said:

I’m shocked at the number of emails I’ve received of this nature in just the last two weeks. My undergrad email, in my entire four years of using it, only received one email like this. 

Compared to the rest of the past year that I've had a Western email account, the last few weeks have been very spammy.  From September to June/July I got like 5-10 of them total.  Don't expect them to continue to be this annoying.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TobyFlenderson said:

Right? I legitimately didn't receive one my entire undergrad. I've received 1-2 per day.

• Like 1

My two cents after graduating Western: Spamtrap is an absolute joke. The only thing it blocks is the typical "business opportunities" emails that look to scam you out of money. Phishing emails are rampant, almost all of them are the exact same "mailbox full" or "deactivated account", and people somehow keep falling for them. TL:DR, ANYTHING that asks you to log in is fake. Anything authentic can be accessed without clicking anything, but by going through OWL/student.uwo.ca

My workaround solution was to set everything to forward to my personal GMail (they disabled POP3 when they migrated to Office365). Every other competent email provider picks up on the phishing emails instantly and designates them as spam. Obviously, you'll have to send emails by actually logging in, but for the usual OWL notifications and whatnot, this works.

I've also noticed a drastic decrease in these emails since becoming an alumni (well under 1 a month), so I get a feeling the bot must be using a mailing list that only targets current students.

• Thanks 1