Adc

Spring Scholarships

Does anyone know if the spring scholarships have all been given out?  For example, the "highest mark in X class" awards?

Thanks!

On 7/22/2019 at 3:09 PM, Adc said:

Does anyone know if the spring scholarships have all been given out?  For example, the "highest mark in X class" awards?

Thanks!

I can't speak to whether all of them have but I can confirm that at least a few have been issued. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 10:06 AM, Alterion said:

Yea I received the LRW award last week 

Do you know if classes have multiple awards?

Edited by UAbear2018

this is somewhat related but if its not i apologize- when did they send out notices for recipients of the 1L awards in previous years? is it usually before september?

4 hours ago, UAbear2018 said:

Do you know if classes have multiple awards?

Crim does, but I think LRW has just the one. 

2 hours ago, bigfudge2017 said:

this is somewhat related but if its not i apologize- when did they send out notices for recipients of the 1L awards in previous years? is it usually before september?

I wouldn't expect to hear back before September about application-based awards. I think I received my award letter in early Nov last year...

31 minutes ago, somefakename said:

I wouldn't expect to hear back before September about application-based awards. I think I received my award letter in early Nov last year...

thank you :)  when/how did you receive the money from the award? was it just applied against your winter fees or did you get a cheque

13 minutes ago, bigfudge2017 said:

thank you :)  when/how did you receive the money from the award? was it just applied against your winter fees or did you get a cheque

No problem! :)

They split the money in half between the winter and fall semesters. Since I had already paid my fall tuition, that money was refunded to me sometime in November. You can add your bank account info on Beartracks to get a direct deposit; otherwise, it will be sent out by cheque. 

For the winter semester, the refund went through sometime in February. So, basically, you should be prepared to pay the tuition yourself and get refunded for the award later (after the term refund deadline passes). 

3 hours ago, somefakename said:

Crim does, but I think LRW has just the one. 

Assuming @Alterion isn't mistaken, which seems like an awfully safe assumption, there are at least 2 for LRW. 

Posted (edited)

Perhaps they have discretion where if multiple students at the top of the class have work that is essentially indistinguishable in quality that they can hand out multiple awards.

It would make sense especially in the context of LRW where work is graded by different people based on learning groups which creates a bit of a luck element when comparing students who are apart by 1% or less in their grade for the course

They could also just give a medal to the top three or one for morning and one for afternoon. *shrugs*

Edited by Toad

21 hours ago, UAbear2018 said:

Assuming @Alterion isn't mistaken, which seems like an awfully safe assumption, there are at least 2 for LRW. 

Yes there should be 2 LRW awards. There is a list somewhere on the website showing a total of $2500 and I received $1250.