Sign in to follow this  
s2019

Booking a trip for reading week

Hi guys, 

So in undergrad I would always go to the States and visit family over the February reading week, as I never actually really needed to do much reading over the week. I am a little nervous about booking a trip during reading week in law school though... I was looking for some insight as to how busy February is for law students and whether it would or would not be advisable to travel during reading week in 1L.

Don't do it for more than a weekend, at-least first year- because you don't realize how far behind you will fall in your other classes writing memos and preparing for moot. You don't want to fall behind and be cramming for finals. 

Just wait under April when your finals are done and go.  

Edited by SammyS
grammer

I went on a family trip for longer than a week during reading week in 1L and I thought it was fine. To be fair I did bring books and my laptop and made sure I would have internet access but I didn’t end up doing much reading (if any). It’s a personal choice and 1L is definitely a stressful time but for me having the mental break outweighed missing a few days of reading time! Wouldn’t recommend a wild party trip but something relaxing where I had the option to do some work if necessary was fine for me. 

My JP went to Mexico for a bachelor's party during reading week in 1L and did just fine. I stayed home so I got some studying done, but nothing too intense. Maybe a few readings.  I would play it by ear. If you're quite behind on your readings then I wouldn't go, but taking that week off most likely won't affect your grades so long as you're working at a steady pace for the rest of the semester.

Also know of quite a few others who went on vacations during reading week and it seems that they did well. TL;DR go see your family unless you're really behind.

in hindsight, the ideal time to vacation in 1L was during Jan Term 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this