LawyerOfTomorrow

Expected Salary-Boutique International Firm Downtown Toronto

Hello Everyone

Salary negotiations are coming up for me so just wanted to get an idea of what would be reasonable entering as a first year associate.

Like I said firm is super niche and based out of downtown toronto. But the work the firm does is internationally based and there are a few lawyers in the firm. There arent a lot of lawyers that practice in this area so the bar is really small.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

This just happened to me in firm with a niche practice area (municipal/land development/condominium). I just checked the going rates for the firms in the area using the ZSA chart, and some of the salary spreadsheets on this site to figure out a baseline. But, it might be worth figuring out what your area of law tends to pay in general if the practice area is really niche or in high demand. For example, I ended up getting about 30% more than the going rate because the municipal sector is really hot right now, and I wasn't a superstar candidate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adVenture said:

This just happened to me in firm with a niche practice area (municipal/land development/condominium). I just checked the going rates for the firms in the area using the ZSA chart, and some of the salary spreadsheets on this site to figure out a baseline. But, it might be worth figuring out what your area of law tends to pay in general if the practice area is really niche or in high demand. For example, I ended up getting about 30% more than the going rate because the municipal sector is really hot right now, and I wasn't a superstar candidate. 

Awesome thanks so much. Do you happen to have any links to the spreadsheets/discussions you found helpful on this site?

It will depend on the firm and practice area immensely.

International narrows it down but doesn’t really help me answer. American giant like Paul Weiss? American associate pay scale. Small offshoot insurance practice (Cozen or Clyde & Co for example) maybe 85k for a new call.

• Like 1