boat

Mentioning stories people told me in cover letter?

Hi Everyone,

Throughout networking with students in preparation of the upcoming recruit I've been fortunate enough to have some associates and students speak very candidly about some [good] things that have happened to them in their firm. The kind of things that make you want to work somewhere.

What are everyone's thoughts on specifically mentioning these stories in a cover letter as a reason you want to work at the firm? With the individual's permission of course.

I intend on being light on the actual details, so no more than a sentence dedicated to the story, but citing it as a reason I want to work there because it reflects some quality I believe the firm has

Thank you, and to those applying, good luck with the recruit!

It really depends on the circumstances, I don’t think anyone here would be able to tell you yes or no. Ultimately you have to use your own discretion. I would caution you on the safer side of not putting it in.

• Thanks 1

I'd err more to the side of the broad strokes than fine details. "When I spoke to your articling student Erica, one thing she mentioned that stuck out to me was the firm's commitment to getting students into court and on their feet as soon as possible. This excited me because..."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, whoknows said:

I'd err more to the side of the broad strokes than fine details. "When I spoke to your articling student Erica, one thing she mentioned that stuck out to me was the firm's commitment to getting students into court and on their feet as soon as possible. This excited me because..."

What about something along the lines of "When I spoke to your articling student Erica, she mentioned a time where she received one-on-one support from the firm. The firm's commitment to blah blah blah excited me because?"

Posted (edited)

I did this back when I was applying for a firm job. I wouldn't mention ppl by name, though. I like that way you phrased it in your post: "I've been fortunate enough to have some associates and students speak very candidly about some [good] things that have happened to them in their firm. The kind of things that make you want to work somewhere."

Edited by conge

6 minutes ago, conge said:

I did this back when I was applying for a firm job. I wouldn't mention ppl by name, though. I like that way you phrased it in your post: "I've been fortunate enough to have some associates and students speak very candidly about some [good] things that have happened to them in their firm. The kind of things that make you want to work somewhere."

Just make sure you don't forget to swallow the "else" at the end of that sentence!  Some things are better left unsaid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Sun Jul 21 2019 at 11:12 AM, boat said:

Hi Everyone,

Throughout networking with students in preparation of the upcoming recruit I've been fortunate enough to have some associates and students speak very candidly about some [good] things that have happened to them in their firm. The kind of things that make you want to work somewhere.

What are everyone's thoughts on specifically mentioning these stories in a cover letter as a reason you want to work at the firm? With the individual's permission of course.

I intend on being light on the actual details, so no more than a sentence dedicated to the story, but citing it as a reason I want to work there because it reflects some quality I believe the firm has

Thank you, and to those applying, good luck with the recruit!

I would not mention people by name.  It puts you and them in an awkward spot if you ask for their permission and they say no (speaking from personal experience here).