stmn0066

What schools to apply for?

I am an Ontario Resident, and would ideally like to stay in Ontario, but am willing to consider other options within Canada as well. Was wondering where people thought I would have my best shot?

I have a 156 LSAT.

I have a 3.9 GPA (but it's from a college degree program - so Law School's weigh it as they see fit, not according to the OLSAS standards).

I'm currently doing my Master's of Criminology (in which I was awarded a federal tri-agency scholarship - not sure if Law School's care about that)

I am working as a Research Assistant for a lawyer now, which I will be using as a reference. 

I have a good amount of volunteer experience as well.

I would love to get into UofT or York, but I'm assuming with my LSAT score it won't happen. 

Just looking for opinions on where best to spend my money applying! Thank you :) 

You'll never know what can happen if you don't apply. Take a chance and apply to your dream schools as well as some safety options. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

You'll never know what can happen if you don't apply. Take a chance and apply to your dream schools as well as some safety options. 

Let’s be honest here... unless OP has unlimited funds there’s no point throwing away money applying to schools that are clearly out of reach. 

Edited by Johnappleseed
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You have a college degree and are working towards a master's -- do you have a bachelor's degree from a recognised university?

Edited by Tagger

4 hours ago, stmn0066 said:

I am an Ontario Resident, and would ideally like to stay in Ontario, but am willing to consider other options within Canada as well. Was wondering where people thought I would have my best shot?

I have a 156 LSAT.

I have a 3.9 GPA (but it's from a college degree program - so Law School's weigh it as they see fit, not according to the OLSAS standards).

I'm currently doing my Master's of Criminology (in which I was awarded a federal tri-agency scholarship - not sure if Law School's care about that)

I am working as a Research Assistant for a lawyer now, which I will be using as a reference. 

I have a good amount of volunteer experience as well.

I would love to get into UofT or York, but I'm assuming with my LSAT score it won't happen. 

Just looking for opinions on where best to spend my money applying! Thank you :)

All Ontario law schools would not consider academic records obtained from colleges. I think that the exclusion of college records may apply to other law schools in this country as well.

Yet, you are doing an MA degree and you have an LSAT score of 156. I have no idea whether you may be eligible to apply under Mature, Access, or Special consideration categories or not. If you fall into those categories, I would suggest you apply to Ontario law schools under the categories.

Otherwise, you need to earn at least two years of academic records for full-time undergrad studies.

Given that you have achieved a 156 LSAT score without undergrad studies, I am quite sure that you will be able to garner a higher score on the LSAT than your current one if you further pursue undergrad education along with LSAT preparations.

Certainly, doing at least two-years of full-time undergrad studies will be a waste of time and money. However, if you really wish to attend U of T Law or Osgoode, you need to obtain strong undergrad academic records.

Good luck!!

6 hours ago, Johnappleseed said:

Let’s be honest here... unless OP has unlimited funds there’s no point throwing away money applying to schools that are clearly out of reach. 

You can get into Osgoode with a 3.9 cGPA and 156 LSAT. People have reported getting into U of T with LSAT scores that low as well, though it would be much more challenging. That is if the schools accept OP's college degree at face value. 

More information is needed. You may want to read up on each schools admissions page and/or contact the admission offices to see which of your credits they will actually use to calculate your GPA. Then you can also provide us with additional information like your CGPA, L2 GPA, B2 GPA, GPA with 10 drops, etc. 

If you actually end up having a 3.9 156 for GPA purposes you'd have a number of schools you have a chance at: Ottawa, Windsor, UNB, UAlberta, UCalgary, TRU, and possible a few others. 

7 hours ago, Tagger said:

You have a college degree and are working towards a master's -- do you have a bachelor's degree from a recognised university?

Some schools in Ontario (UofT, Osgoode, Queens, Windsor) and schools outside of Ontario (TRU etc.) do not require a bachelors from a university to apply. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, emtee said:

Some schools in Ontario (UofT, Osgoode, Queens, Windsor) and schools outside of Ontario (TRU etc.) do not require a bachelors from a university to apply. 

Yes, you're right, but it sounds like OP only has college grades and not undergraduate university grades, which would rule them out of several schools. 

Edited by Tagger

Posted (edited)

Y'all realize that several colleges grant Bachelor degrees, right? OP is currently doing their MA so they likely have an undergraduate degree. 

3.9 out of 4 or 4.3? A higher LSAT would put you in a more comfortable position. You may want to figure out you best 2 and last 2 years. Ottawa is more GPA focused, which would be better for you.

Look through the "accepted" threads of each school here. You'll get a glimpse of various stats.

Edited by artsydork

On 7/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, Tagger said:

It's a bachelor's degree, a four-year undergrad from Humber College. It's recognized as a B.A.A.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stmn0066 said:

It's a bachelor's degree, a four-year undergrad from Humber College. It's recognized as a B.A.A.

Okay, so you have a Bachelor of Applied Arts from a college and not a Bachelor of Arts from a university. You need to check with the schools you're interested in because some of them may not accept your BAA and/or MA. 

Edited by Tagger

On 7/26/2019 at 2:05 PM, stmn0066 said:

Hey! That's exactly what I did. PM me. I will love to help. When I was applying and asked my question in this forum, the only thing everyone focused on and bombarded me with was where my degree is from. I only got into TRU after applying to a few other schools, but I'm going to law school nonetheless. With my BAA from Humber College and a 150 lsat lol.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:44 PM, Tagger said:

Okay, so you have a Bachelor of Applied Arts from a college and not a Bachelor of Arts from a university. You need to check with the schools you're interested in because some of them may not accept your BAA and/or MA. 

Some schools in Ontario (UofT, Osgoode, Queens, Windsor) and schools outside of Ontario (TRU etc.) do not require a bachelors from a university to apply- and a BAA is sufficient.

There are schools like Lakehead, UNB, Western (and more) that will straight out say no, we only accept Uni BA's.

I actually emailed every single school in Canada and complied a list of who accepts degrees from Humber College (or any BAA for that matter). PM me if you want it. I'll also post it here publicly if that's of any interest. 

Of course i didn't go into undergrad knowing this would be a hurdle (I was not the most proactive in high school and didn't have any support when applying for undergrad) so YES, I really did regret not doing a uni BA and YES it was an uphill battle with a lot of schools. But I'm admitted to a Canadian law school. If I can do it, you can too. 

It is possible to attend (some) Law schools in Canada with a sole undergrad degree from college. Note that I am not including DIPLOMAS in this statement.