• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I can tell you all about it if you message me! Don't want to put too many identifying details about myself out there on the forum board.
    • My LSAT also hasn't been received/ processed! I have a feeling that it has more to do with McGill updating Minerva rather than actually receiving it. For reference, my Windsor account only marked my application as complete last Friday meaning that McGill will most likely update our accounts soon 🤞 
    • A good way to find the right answer to a question is to have someone post a wrong answer and wait for the correction. 🤣 I graduated without articles.  Although I had a handful of interviews so I won't presume to know what it's like for you.  Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, it was my demonstrated interests that helped me the most in getting interviews. (1) Demonstrated interest and (2) appear affable+competent.  Oh and luck.  Have you tried using your luck?  Don't spend all your luck in one place.  You'll still need some to find the right people in your personal life and get you out of sticky situations.  Luck is a huge factor in life.  Yes, very important.  Being at the time and place when opportunity spawns on the map.  I would highly recommend being lucky. If that sounds absurd, it's because it is.  Sometimes, putting in 100% good faith effort gets you 75% of the way.  You have zero control over the other 25%.  That's just the way things are.
    • To set yourself up for success in the articling recruit, I think it would be wise to take a 2L position that demonstrates interest in area(s) of law that you are interested in practicing at the start of your legal career. To echo the advice above, it would be good to reach out to profs who teach in an area that interests you for the possibility of an RA position. In addition, sign up for daily job alerts on popular job boards (like Indeed) so you are well-positioned to continue applying to new summer positions that open up. In my experience, February to early March is the time when you start to see quite a bit of movement in the general summer hiring job market outside the typical opportunities on the school career site. If you are interested in corporate, in-house summer positions would probably seem like a good fit on your resume. I've also seen some policy research analyst type jobs that open up, where law students seem to be preferred candidates. I'm not sure what kind of unpaid work you are considering, but there is no shortage of small firms or sole practitioners on  job boards that can't pay students a real salary but promise to offer practical experience. Admittedly it is exploitative and not ideal, but in the worst case, if you feel there is truly no better alternative than doing unpaid work, I would try to get as much legal work experience as possible. And, of course, make sure you negotiate upfront for flexibility during the summer for any networking and recruiting activities you will want to do for articling, and make sure you can get an amazing reference from the supervising lawyer. To help offset financial burdens, maybe consider taking on gigs/contract work like tutoring, TAing or other part-time work that pay a decent hourly rate to supplement your income while "volunteering" for the legal experience you want/need. Good luck!
    • You mean to ask who am I? That’s one secret I’ll never tell,  xoxo gossip girl