dhkswjsdhkswjs

Chances..? 3.93 CGPA, 158 LSAT

Hi everyone!

Sorry to write another typical chances-me post, but here it goes.

I was stupid to consider only McGill and UBC for law schools, both of which I did not get in. Now that I have recently relocated to Toronto for my master’s degree at U of T, I realized York University is near and also has a very good law school program.

I have a 3.93 CGPA (3.94 L2, 3.98 B3) with a LSAT score of 158, which is a bummer.. (and got me thinking that law school is maybe not the right path for me..)

I can get 2 decent LORs from my professors who I did my honours research projects with, and have..mediocre ECs.

With these stats, do I have a good chance at Osgoode? Or should I just give up and do my master’s..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

P.S., is the personal statement option B mandatory? If not, would not writing it hurt my addmission?

35 minutes ago, dhkswjsdhkswjs said:

Hi everyone!

I was stupid to consider only McGill and UBC for law schools, both of which I did not get in. Now that I have recently relocated to Toronto for my master’s degree at U of T, I realized York University is near and also has a very good law school program.

I have a 3.93 CGPA (3.94 L2, 3.98 B3) with a LSAT score of 158, which is a bummer.. (and got me thinking that law school is maybe not the right path for me..)

I can get 2 decent LORs from my professors who I did my honours research projects with, and have..mediocre ECs.

With these stats, do I have a good chance at Osgoode? Or should I just give up and do my master’s..?

Thank you!

P.S., is the personal statement option B mandatory? If not, would not writing it hurt my addmission?

From what I know, Osgoode takes a somewhat holistic approach to admissions. Your extremely strong GPA will likely offset any concerns about your LSAT score (which you should know isn't extraordinary but also isn't terrible).

I think you have a good shot at every Ontario school other than UofT

No offence, but why do you want to go to law school? If you're that quick to give up on the idea simply because you didn't get into your top 2-3 choices out of the 20 schools we have here, that makes me wary about your reasons for wanting to go. Becoming a lawyer is a tough road and it doesn't get any easier when you start practicing. Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. 

You have a pretty good shot for Oz. But keep in mind that tuition now is like 28k/year so, again, make sure you know why you want to do this. 

Also, why would an LSAT score make you think that law school isn't for you? How relevant do you think the test is once you get into law school? Your ability to practice law? 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jayoh said:

From what I know, Osgoode takes a somewhat holistic approach to admissions. Your extremely strong GPA will likely offset any concerns about your LSAT score (which you should know isn't extraordinary but also isn't terrible).

I don't know why do you think OZ is holistic. The majority of the offers were based on merits.

Windsor is the only holistic school in Ontario.

6 hours ago, dhkswjsdhkswjs said:

Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Is your GPA 3.93 /4.0 ?

Your 158 is a bit low. 

Your stats is good for Ottawa and good chance for Western and Queens.

Ryerson Law school is in downtown Toronto too. 

Edited by Luckycharm

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

I don't know why do you think OZ is holistic. The majority of the offers were based on merits.

Is your GPA 3.93 /4.0 ?

Your 158 is a bit low. 

I didn't say Osgoode is holistic. I said Osgoode is "somewhat holistic", as in they care about stats but are a little more forgiving than say UofT when it comes to a weak point in an application. 

And you're wrong. Windsor is not the only holistic school in Ontario:

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/review-process/holistic-admission-policy/

Edited by jayoh

Posted (edited)

I got in with 3.61 cgpa 156 LSAT. Osgoode appears to be pretty holistic 

Edited by AJD19
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jayoh said:

Thank you so much!! This is great to know! :)

3 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

I got in with 3.61 cgpa 156 LSAT. Osgoode appears to be pretty holistic 

Of course some offers were based on something other than merits.

But the majority were based on merits.

3 hours ago, icecreamsandwich said:

I agree with the post above. You definitely have a strong shot at Osgoode.

Ah, thank you for your reply!! :)

12 minutes ago, jayoh said:

I didn't say Osgoode is holistic. I said Osgoode is "somewhat holistic", as in they care about stats but are a little more forgiving than say UofT when it comes to a weak point in an application. 

And you're wrong. Windsor is not the only holistic school in Ontario:

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/review-process/holistic-admission-policy/

Most Ontario school will admit a certain number/percentage of student based on reasons other than merits alone.   School like OZ will give out more offers than available spots in their first batch. The first batch of offers are straightly based on merits and will make up the majority of the class.

There may be an increase of offers based on"holistic" (up to 20% ?)in recent years, but the majority of the offers are still based on merits.    

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Deadpool said:

No offence, but why do you want to go to law school? If you're that quick to give up on the idea simply because you didn't get into your top 2-3 choices out of the 20 schools we have here, that makes me wary about your reasons for wanting to go. Becoming a lawyer is a tough road and it doesn't get any easier when you start practicing. Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons. 

You have a pretty good shot for Oz. But keep in mind that tuition now is like 28k/year so, again, make sure you know why you want to do this. 

Also, why would an LSAT score make you think that law school isn't for you? How relevant do you think the test is once you get into law school? Your ability to practice law? 

None taken! :)  In fact, I couldn't agree with you more and think I should have explained a bit more about my situation. I didn't apply for McGill University and UBC just because they were the top 2-3, but because I wanted to either stay in Montreal, where I did my undergrad, or move to Vancouver, which was definitely not a good idea..

Oh, and the reason why i was discouraged by the low LSAT score was that..While I was studying for the LSAT and deciding whether to pursue law or not, I have always felt worried that I might not do well in law school due to English being my second language; I was born and raised in another country, and came to Canada about five years ago for McGill. So, with my low LSAT score, especially in reading section, I just thought I might not be capable of pursing such an intense, advanced level of education in a language that I am not perfect at, not to mention the difficulty of practicing law in a second language. In the meantime, I applied for another master's program as a back-up, which I got into, so I ended up thinking that law was perhaps not meant for me and I am better off doing something else..! haha

Edited by dhkswjsdhkswjs

Posted (edited)

You're only three or four LSAT points away from being an excellent candidate at every school except UofT. 

You're way too close to getting in to give up on law school just yet, and your English is great for someone who moved to Canada only five years ago. Keep at it. 

Edited by Tagger

Hey I’ve only been in Canada for one year and don’t speak English as my first language. I finished my 1L with a B+ average. And I know a few people with similar backgrounds got even better grades in law school and secured jobs with renowned firms. 

13 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Is your GPA 3.93 /4.0 ?

Your 158 is a bit low. 

Thank you for your reply! Yes, it's out of 4.0!

21 hours ago, Tagger said:

You're only three or four LSAT points away from being an excellent candidate at every school except UofT. 

You're way too close to getting in to give up on law school just yet, and your English is great for someone who moved to Canada only five years ago. Keep at it. 

Aww thank you so much for your kind words!! mean a lot to me :)

16 hours ago, Mocha said:

Hey I’ve only been in Canada for one year and don’t speak English as my first language. I finished my 1L with a B+ average. And I know a few people with similar backgrounds got even better grades in law school and secured jobs with renowned firms. 

wow..that's very impressive!! Would you mind me asking how your 1L was? 

23 minutes ago, dhkswjsdhkswjs said:

wow..that's very impressive!! Would you mind me asking how your 1L was? 

Of course not! Just PMed. Let me know if you have further questions :)

On 7/19/2019 at 9:47 PM, Deadpool said:

But keep in mind that tuition now is like 28k/year

It's gone down to 25k this year, for 1Ls at least

4 minutes ago, thedraper said:

It's gone down to 25k this year, for 1Ls at least

So it's now cheaper than Ryerson law? Good to know.