lookingforasuit

How are my grades?

UAlberta student here going into 2L. Want to work as a defense lawyer in BC, or crown in BC/AB, ideally after clerking at provincial (or higher) court in BC or AB. Most of  my classes had a 2.9/3.0 curve (B).

Crim B+

Contracts A-

Torts B

Property B

Constitutional B

Legal Research and Writing B+

With average ECs and having worked blue collar jobs for 5ish years before law school, how do my grades stack up? I have a 3.2 GPA, and am not interested in corporate law. Would like to do crim, or possibly labour or family. Haven't decided yet. 

Do I have a shot at clerking? Would law review help?

I’m only familiar with ON and federal clerkships but these grades would be too low in Ont. I doubt the west coast is less competitive 

Agree grades are likely too average. 

I'd focus on getting some practical summer or clinical experience, maybe mooting. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, lookingforasuit said:

UAlberta student here going into 2L. Want to work as a defense lawyer in BC, or crown in BC/AB, ideally after clerking at provincial (or higher) court in BC or AB. Most of  my classes had a 2.9/3.0 curve (B).

Crim B+

Contracts A-

Torts B

Property B

Constitutional B

Legal Research and Writing B+

With average ECs and having worked blue collar jobs for 5ish years before law school, how do my grades stack up? I have a 3.2 GPA, and am not interested in corporate law. Would like to do crim, or possibly labour or family. Haven't decided yet. 

Do I have a shot at clerking? Would law review help?

How do your grades stack up? Well you have three average grades and three slightly above average grades (good job in contracts). So I guess you're an average to slightly above average student in your class.

I believe judicial clerkships go to students with above average grades, so you're probably not competitive. Moots, working on a journal, and clinical experience would make you more competitive, all other things being equal.

You might as well apply for the clerkships you want; you never know what could happen. But be realistic with the fact you probably aren't a competitive applicant.

Posted (edited)

In Ontario competitive clerkship candidates have at least a high B+/A- average. I'm assuming it's the same across the country. You're below that with your average (but you can also bring it up in your 1L first semester) so clerkship may be a long shot but you might as well apply. You would be more competitive with law firm applications. In Ontario top firms tend to cut off at B+, but a B tends to be competitive for a lot of great positions. 

Law Review/RAing may help with a path towards clerkship. Mooting/Clinic would help you out with law firm applications.

Edited by TheScientist101

Your grades are fine/good for all but the most selective firms but not good enough for clerkships.

I've never heard of a clerkship at a provincial court. They tend to only be at the federal court level (so federal courts, superior courts, and appellate courts). 

I would take a crack at clerking - can't hurt - and if you bring your grades up in 2L you could try to clerk after you article. 

3 hours ago, Ambit said:

I've never heard of a clerkship at a provincial court. They tend to only be at the federal court level (so federal courts, superior courts, and appellate courts). 

I would take a crack at clerking - can't hurt - and if you bring your grades up in 2L you could try to clerk after you article. 

The Provincial Court of Alberta hires clerks: https://albertacourts.ca/pc/information-for/law-students.