Sign in to follow this  
AZBrick

Differing Reasons for Deferrals?

Currently playing the waitlist waiting game and found myself pondering about the reasons people might defer from starting their 1L. 

For those of you who have deferred, or know someone who has, was the reason academic or work related? 

How common is it for prospective first years to defer for personal reasons such as travel, family, or simply getting cold feet? 

I suppose this inquire comes from my desire to assess the likelihood of movement on any given waitlist since it appears (based off reading the school forums) that most classes are full. Please correct me if I am wrong in thinking this. 

Posted (edited)

Which waiting list(s) are you on?

The likelihood for spots open up are  if someone receives an offer from another school or change their mind about law school. 

Edited by Luckycharm

Posted (edited)

Most schools only have a few people who defer, or less. Schools generally will only let you defer if you have some kind of personal or family emergency, or get a really amazing opportunity at your current job that would make you a stronger candidate.  

I have never heard of a school letting someone defer for travel or because of cold feet. I can't imagine them letting someone do that.  

Edited by Starling
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't seem like there's been much waitlist movement across the country this cycle. The fact that Ottawa and TRU's waitlists have barely moved is telling, and most people have probably started securing housing at this point.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Which waiting list(s) are you on?

The likelihood for spots open up are  if someone receives an offer from another school or change their mind about law school. 

Uottawa

16 hours ago, AZBrick said:

Uottawa

UOttawa's  wait list is very different from other schools.

I don't know if they will rank the list this year.

You will notice from prior year's wait list threads that some who was ranked over 100

on the initial list were given an offer. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

UOttawa's  wait list is very different from other schools.

I don't know if they will rank the list this year.

You will notice from prior year's wait list threads that some who was ranked over 100

on the initial list were given an offer. 

You are right in that the operation of Ottawa Law's waitlist pool quite differs from that of other law schools in this country. However, for the last year cycle, Ottawa Law actually gave offers to less than 80 applicants from its waitlist pool of 300 applicants. Unfortunately, for this year admission cycle, Ottawa Law's waitlist pool has barely moved so far.

For additional information, I have actually garnered a deferral of admission into the Common Law Section by one year to finish my current graduate degree in April 2020. Besides this academic reason, I have extenuating family issues, which Ottawa Law has taken into account as well.

For me, the process of requesting and garnering a deferral of admission into Ottawa Law has been pretty formal. So, I personally believe that just a few admitted applicants would request a deferral of admission.

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
editing
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

You are right in that the operation of Ottawa Law's waitlist pool quite differs from that of other law schools in this country. However, for the last year cycle, Ottawa Law actually gave offers to less than 80 applicants from its waitlist pool of 300 applicants. Unfortunately, for this year admission cycle, Ottawa Law's waitlist pool has barely moved so far.

For additional information, I have actually garnered a deferral of admission into the Common Law Section by one year to finish my current graduate degree in April 2020. Besides this academic reason, I have extenuating family issues, which Ottawa Law has taken into account as well.

For me, the process of requesting and garnering a deferral of admission into Ottawa Law has been pretty formal. So, I personally believe that just a few admitted applicants would request a deferral of admission.

80 offers but probably less than 40 actual acceptance.

• Like 2