Hi all, I have been offered admission to both TRU and Bond University (Australia).  I am from Vancouver.  I am in a slight dilemma about which school to attend as both offer their own perks. I was wondering if I could get some objective input from this thread.

For TRU:

*close to home 

*WAY cheaper 

*Canadian law school prestige 

Bond: 

* Experience of moving across the world

* my best friend would be going with me 

*only 2 years opposed to 3 here

any help or personal experience would help tonnes. Thanks 

Additional pro for TRU:
* actually learning the law of the country where you intend to be a lawyer (right?)

Additional cons for Bond:
* need to plan for about a year to get through the NCA process, mitigating the "two year advantage"
* employers will (understandably) suspect that you couldn't get into a Canadian law school

• Like 7

If you're considering Bond after actually getting into a Canadian law school, does this mean that you're considering practicing law outside of Canada? If not, then why Bond? 

P.S. are we still in high school to make important life decisions about where our friends, best friend, boyfriend/girlfriend (unless it's a serious relationship), unicorn, etc. are going to school?? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

If you're considering Bond after actually getting into a Canadian law school, does this mean that you're considering practicing law outside of Canada? If not, then why Bond? 

P.S. are we still in high school to make important life decisions about where our friends, best friend, boyfriend/girlfriend (unless it's a serious relationship), unicorn, etc. are going to school?? 

Some people place great importance on the law school "experience" and having a best friend there greatly adds to that experience. Who's to say whether they're right or wrong.

If you're well-off and the idea of not having a job after graduation isn't that big of a deal, then by all means go to Bond and enjoy yourself.

If not, then I think TRU is your best bet

• Like 1

If you're planning to practice law in Canada, this is a no-brainer. Go to TRU.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, blondcherry said:

Hi all, I have been offered admission to both TRU and Bond University (Australia).  I am from Vancouver.  I am in a slight dilemma about which school to attend as both offer their own perks. I was wondering if I could get some objective input from this thread.

For TRU:

*close to home 

*WAY cheaper 

*Canadian law school prestige 

Bond: 

* Experience of moving across the world

* my best friend would be going with me 

*only 2 years opposed to 3 here

any help or personal experience would help tonnes. Thanks 

Experience of moving across the world may turn out to be a nightmare

Your best friend will still be your best friend no matter where you are. my best friends are in the States.

Two years as oppose to three ? well... NCA will more than make up the one year difference and 

other hurdles you will face if you want to practice in Canada are unpredictable.

thanks a tonne! after being waitlisted for the second year and just recently getting accepted, I was getting quite warm to the idea of attending Bond and practicing law here in Canada. 

I think TRU is my best bet.  

• Like 3

Yeah. Without being mean about it, even a quick glance can verify that all of the "pros" associated with Bond are trivial and/or short-sighted. Count yourself lucky you got into a Canadian law school, and don't look back.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Diplock said:

Yeah. Without being mean about it, even a quick glance can verify that all of the "pros" associated with Bond are trivial and/or short-sighted. Count yourself lucky you got into a Canadian law school, and don't look back.

except that temperature and social life in kamloops will be 100x worse than living in warm temperature of the gold coast where there would much more diversity LOL other than that, i guess TRU is better in all other aspects 

Going to Bond will present many employment challenges for you when you return to Canada. A lot of employers won't take you seriously and won't value the degree in the same manner as they do a degree from Canada. The NCA exams are time-consuming and expensive and if you decide to do an LLM in Canada, that is more time and money as well. 

Do you have connections in the legal field where you can afford to go to Bond and easily land a job that you want in Canada? 

If you want to enjoy the weather, social life, and international experience of travelling to the gold coast, then take a few weeks off and go on a vacation. Heck, take a month off in August and go enjoy yourself or after your December exams are done. Otherwise, what's more important here - learning the law of the country you want to practice law in, making connections in that country's legal market, and getting a Canadian law degree to show that you actually got into a Canadian law school and have the Canadian experience...or going abroad to a law school that will accept literally anyone out of high school and a pulse, enjoying some nice weather, and having an extended vacation with your best friend?

Another question to ask - what did your best friend have to say about all this? Did he or she get into a Canadian law school? If they did get in, would they still be going to Bond, Leicester, Kent, Cooley, etc.? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, jayoh said:

Some people place great importance on the law school "experience" and having a best friend there greatly adds to that experience. Who's to say whether they're right or wrong.

If you're well-off and the idea of not having a job after graduation isn't that big of a deal, then by all means go to Bond and enjoy yourself.

If not, then I think TRU is your best bet

That's fair.  If your intention is to go to law school just for fun and you don't actually want to work as a lawyer, then Bond may not be a bad choice.  

Edited by Stark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Going to Bond will present many employment challenges for you when you return to Canada. A lot of employers won't take you seriously and won't value the degree in the same manner as they do a degree from Canada. The NCA exams are time-consuming and expensive and if you decide to do an LLM in Canada, that is more time and money as well. 

Do you have connections in the legal field where you can afford to go to Bond and easily land a job that you want in Canada? 

If you want to enjoy the weather, social life, and international experience of travelling to the gold coast, then take a few weeks off and go on a vacation. Heck, take a month off in August and go enjoy yourself or after your December exams are done. Otherwise, what's more important here - learning the law of the country you want to practice law in, making connections in that country's legal market, and getting a Canadian law degree to show that you actually got into a Canadian law school and have the Canadian experience...or going abroad to a law school that will accept literally anyone out of high school and a pulse, enjoying some nice weather, and having an extended vacation with your best friend?

Another question to ask - what did your best friend have to say about all this? Did he or she get into a Canadian law school? If they did get in, would they still be going to Bond, Leicester, Kent, Cooley, etc.? 

I totally agree with you on those points.  My best friend was happy for me.  She did not get into a Canadian law school, as she didn't write her LSAT. 

I think I have made my decision to attend TRU:) Thank you all for the wonderful input

20 hours ago, blondcherry said:

except that temperature and social life in kamloops will be 100x worse than living in warm temperature of the gold coast where there would much more diversity LOL other than that, i guess TRU is better in all other aspects 

I'm not a huge fan of Kamloops either but have you actually been to Gold Coast? It's like Vegas crossed with Miami but with less culture than either. 

2 hours ago, secondchance said:

I'm not a huge fan of Kamloops either but have you actually been to Gold Coast? It's like Vegas crossed with Miami but with less culture than either. 

I havn't been, but I mean that doesn't sound too bad.  I am also single LOL so thats kind of a factor.  I want to be able to get out and meet new people while I'm at school.

What was your experience on the gold coast? did you live there or were you just visiting?

• Like 1

One of my best friends went to Australia for one year and she loved it. It was one of the best experiences for her, and she found something there that she always felt was missing in Vancouver. 

It really depends on the kind of person you are. Kamloops is a great area but I would recommend making the trip up. There is not a whole lot going on, and if you’re use to the rush of the city it can be a big change. I personally don’t prefer it, as I’m a city gal. I could do a few days in Kamloops but not 3 years. 

I don’t think it’s silly that you’re basing your decision on the quality of life you’re going to have while you’re at school. If you’re happy and your content with your surroundings, it really translates into your school work. Just my opinion tho!

3 hours ago, blondcherry said:

I havn't been, but I mean that doesn't sound too bad.  I am also single LOL so thats kind of a factor.  I want to be able to get out and meet new people while I'm at school.

What was your experience on the gold coast? did you live there or were you just visiting?

Just visited. I thought it was kind of tacky but these things are always very subjective. 

Posted (edited)

Bond administration staff  will look forward to seeing you in fall, even you haven't sent in any transcripts. If you have gpa of  2.8-3,   3 is probably like auto acceptance. If you have bond degree on your belly , you study a bunch of Australian  law, ,which is  not so much relevance to Canadian law. You are likely to experience pain of fulfillment of NCA requirement and struggle to pass BAR by self study. ..Avoid those while you still can.

Joining Tru  exchange program if you really want to  experience of moving across the world.  you can go to Germany and France for a semester or a year, or even trip to places like the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg

https://www.tru.ca/law/students/international-connections/exchange-programs.html

https://www.tru.ca/law/students/international-connections/international-partners.html

Edited by akulamasusu
  • Like 1

Yet another reminder that more than one account isn't allowed, and it's not too difficult to catch with a first post. We have said this so often here, and pinned reminders in various forums, that no one should be surprised when they have the accounts merged by Morgan so that it is obvious who has posted under an alt. Please stop creating more work for the mod team and for the Admin. Thanks.

If your plan is to have A Really Great Time On The Beach And Travel And Stuff, then for God’s sake take a year and travel and do just that. Get it out of your system. 

If you are capable of slightly longer term planning and have decided you want to be a lawyer in Canada, then the answer is obvious. Go to a Canadian law school and learn Canadian law and get hired by a Canadian lawyer who won’t toss your resume as soon as they see the school you went to. There is a huge stigma for foreign trained lawyers for good reason. They struggle to find employment.

Decide what your goal is. If it’s to have fun in your twenties before you really start this adult thing, acknowledge that. Do NOT mix that up with career planning for your entire professional life.

• Like 6