Sign in to follow this  
heavyindebt

upward trend GPA in the U.S.

Hi, I am sorry in advance if I am in the wrong place to ask this, but if someone knows this out there..

I know some Canadian law schools do consider an upward, or downward trend in CGPA 

for instance, UBC law excludes the worst 12 units in calculating GPA

question: Do U.S law schools have this kind of admit policy? do they consider all units as equal regardless of the trend in them? 

I did some research on a few U.S law, but have not found anything 

I assume you'd be able to find that kind of information on the school websites? If it's not there, they probably don't exclude credits. 

I have somewhat of an answer. US schools do not necessarily look at trends in GPA. However, in a recent Thinking Lsat Podcast, #201 I think, the hosts interviewed a 1L at Stanford who mentioned that he included an addendum on his application which pointed out his upward GPA trend. The hosts and the student agreed that if there is a noticeable improvement over many years the admissions committee likely takes the trend into account. That being said, an upwards trend would likely only be relevant to being admitted or not admitted if an applicant was on a borderline applicant.

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, heavyindebt said:

Hi, I am sorry in advance if I am in the wrong place to ask this, but if someone knows this out there..

I know some Canadian law schools do consider an upward, or downward trend in CGPA 

for instance, UBC law excludes the worst 12 units in calculating GPA

question: Do U.S law schools have this kind of admit policy? do they consider all units as equal regardless of the trend in them? 

I did some research on a few U.S law, but have not found anything 

Can you specify which US schools you are talking about?

School that excludes the worst 12 units is not looking at "trend". the 12 units could be your last 12 units