krnprykt

Why ppl sell law school books?

Posted (edited)

I've seen on numerous occasions that people are trying to sell their law school books, aren't they going to be useful in practice? It feels weird to sell books after the semester ends, I mean that are those books only useful for their related courses and nothing more?

I appreciate all the comments.:)

Edited by krnprykt

If you’re at a big firm it will have a library. If you’re never going to practice in the area you don’t need it. Many textbooks have electronic versions. Many students don’t care and just need it for the course. Money is nice. I’m sure others will chime in. 

Posted (edited)
  1. Most law school books are obsolete a few years after publish. Unless you have the seminal treatise on a general subject, like contract law for example (and even those typically get updates every few years), you'll be missing key recent cases and statutory amendments, etc.
  2. Texts have their max resale value the semester after use...every year after that they approach zero dollars. Not only is it not weird, it is the most rational time to sell your books.
  3. If you work for a firm, government, or other organization, you'll probably get updated versions of the texts you need.
  4. Westlaw/Lexis have lots of great texts and resources if you have access. CanLii offers good free resources from time to time.
  5. If you don't work for a firm, government, or other organization, and live in a large city, you can hit a law library as needed. Most courthouses have a dece library.

Sell those suckers I say. 

Edited by FineCanadianFXs
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As stated above, the common law is in a constant state of evolution and so it's not uncommon for a casebook to become antiquated within a few years, if not less.

Edited by harveyspecter993

Sold them because I couldn't stand the sight of some of these textbooks (looking at you Constitution and Admin). The only alternative is to burn them.

• Like 1

I should have sold mine, and eventually they became garbage. In the area that I practice, the few books I genuinely want and need get updated regularly. In the many, many areas I don't practice, a text book with selected case law that's more than a few years old is worse than useless. Even if I might be tempted to consult one of them, it would really just be professionally negligent to rely on anything I found there.

Seriously. Not selling old textbooks for whatever you can get for them is just an absolute waste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diplock said:

I should have sold mine, and eventually they became garbage. In the area that I practice, the few books I genuinely want and need get updated regularly. In the many, many areas I don't practice, a text book with selected case law that's more than a few years old is worse than useless. Even if I might be tempted to consult one of them, it would really just be professionally negligent to rely on anything I found there.

Seriously. Not selling old textbooks for whatever you can get for them is just an absolute waste.

I have a few boxes of law books that are gathering dust.