LuckyCommander

What DID law school prepare you for?

^ I agree. This profession is already tough enough as it is. No one wants to deal with this type of arrogance. 

14 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

I'm honestly not trying to be snarky here. But if you're really acting the way you describe here (poking holes in what your mom's friend thinks about Celine Dion, saying "tell it to your therapist, this is completely irrelevant to me"), then you are going to do a lot of damage to your personal and professional reputation. If I heard a 1L talking like that, I wouldn't think they're confident and analytical. I'd think they're an arrogant prick. I'd avoid them. And if given the choice to work with them, I'd be concerned that they lack the basic social skills to function in an office environment and navigate a client relationship. 

same. also in a network based profession it seems ill-advised to offend everyone you interact with...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I want to piggyback off of this conversation by saying that there was a guy in law school who was very frequently arrogant. Honestly, I thought nothing of him. I thought he was smart and keen, and I remember him quite fondly. Didn't interact much with him outside of that. I'm not really the kind of person to negatively assign a reputation to someone I barely met, you know?

But my peers? I was shocked to hear what they thought about him. He definitely has a reputation, even two years later people remember him and joke about him. I'm sure his career will go on just fine but I can't imagine being that infamous.

If you think the "protect your reputation, don't be an ass" comments are just exaggerations, they aren't.

Edited by wtamow

I just wanted to chime in on the point @Hegdis made - don't discount the amount of black letter law that law school will actually teach you, and that you will retain!  I remember in my first few years being grateful I had taken evidence.  I was able to recall the rule in Brown v Dunn from law school.  I actually used my law school notes as a reference for my first few years.

• Like 3