student8866

Recommended Professors/Professors to Avoid

As many of us have gotten our schedules now, I'm interested in finding out from some 2Ls and 3Ls what professors they would recommend/avoid based on their experience at Osgoode.  

I'm aware that most professors are on ratemyprof, but I'd be interested in having a more conversation-like discussion on this topic!  

Any responses would be appreciated :) 

14 hours ago, student8866 said:

As many of us have gotten our schedules now

Our you an incoming student?! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, student8866 said:

Yes. Starting 1L in August. 

Me too, but I haven't heard anything from Osgoode so far. When did they inform you of which section you are in and what the schedule is?

Edited by krnprykt

I found out by logging onto Passport York and going under the "courses" tab/on the "plot my courses" tab on http://www.currentstudents.yorku.ca/home. If you don't have a Passport York account yet you can go here to set one up: https://computing.yorku.ca using your Osgoode student number.

I believe the letter (A-D) listed next to the names of your courses is your assigned section. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, student8866 said:

I found out by logging onto Passport York and going under the "courses" tab/on the "plot my courses" tab on http://www.currentstudents.yorku.ca/home. If you don't have a Passport York account yet you can go here to set one up: https://computing.yorku.ca using your Osgoode student number.

I believe the letter (A-D) listed next to the names of your courses is your assigned section. 

I really appreciate your help. Mine says A, so I suppose I'm in section A.

Just checked ratemyprof, and I hope it isn't as bad as they say.

Edited by krnprykt
  • Like 1

How do you know what professors you have? My timetable on Passport York doesn't mention any

1 hour ago, r430 said:

How do you know what professors you have? My timetable on Passport York doesn't mention any

Can you see which section you are in? If so, you can go to here and find out about your exact schedule and your profs.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:40 PM, student8866 said:

Yes. Starting 1L in August. 

Even if your profs are absolute ghoulish devils you can’t swap classes as a 1L. You and everyone else in your section will take the classes assigned to you, by the profs assigned to teach your section. I don’t even think you can change sections without extenuating circumstances 

• Like 1

Hi, sorry if this is a little off-topic but since you're discussing courses here, i thought i would ask. Do you know when we're gonna be able to pick our elective course?

12 minutes ago, bebe97 said:

Hi, sorry if this is a little off-topic but since you're discussing courses here, i thought i would ask. Do you know when we're gonna be able to pick our elective course?

Aren’t the 1L not allowed to select any courses, I looked at my schedule it seems full!

On 7/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, student8866 said:

Hey, just had a question to what you posted. When I go to plot courses I see section B term F, and a week schedule. However, when I go to section B on this link: 

https://ozdomapp1.osgoode.yorku.ca/myosgoode.nsf/jdschedules.xsp

It’s different compared to the schedule I see when I click plot courses (for example on plot courses Friday is empty but on the link, Friday has classes). I’m kind of confused. 😕 

6 minutes ago, lawstudentmikescott said:

Aren’t the 1L not allowed to select any courses, I looked at my schedule it seems full!

I believe we are supposed to choose between the Legal Theory Seminar and The Perspective Option (see:https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-program/first-year/)  as our elective course in first year. But I agree, my schedule seems to be full as well. 

4 minutes ago, lawstudentmikescott said:

Hey, just had a question to what you posted. When I go to plot courses I see section B term F, and a week schedule. However, when I go to section B on this link: 

https://ozdomapp1.osgoode.yorku.ca/myosgoode.nsf/jdschedules.xsp

It’s different compared to the schedule I see when I click plot courses (for example on plot courses Friday is empty but on the link, Friday has classes). I’m kind of confused. 😕 

I have the same issue! Also, I seem to be enrolled in Legal Processes I and II both in the winter term. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bebe97 said:

I believe we are supposed to choose between the Legal Theory Seminar and The Perspective Option (see:https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-program/first-year/)  as our elective course in first year. But I agree, my schedule seems to be full as well. 

I have the same issue! Also, I seem to be enrolled in Legal Processes I and II both in the winter term. 

Ok at least I’m not alone lol. I hope more info gets sent out regarding all this. Like an email or something 😕 

17 hours ago, bebe97 said:

17 hours ago, lawstudentmikescott said:

You do get to pick an elective seminar which will be added to your winter schedule. If I remember correctly,  in October or November they release seminar descriptions and you have to rank your top 3 seminar choices. Hopefully you get into the one you want - but many people have to settle for their second or third choice. 

Your schedule may look full now - but you will have to add a seminar to winter semester. This is not so bad because its just one 3-hour class.

Edited by icecreamsandwich
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, bebe97 said:

Legal process I is basically legal research and writing. You take it full-year with all four sections in the moot court room. Pretty much no one actually attends this class.

Legal process II refers to civil procedure, which you take in winter semester only.  You will hear people refer to Legal process I as "legal process" or "LP" and refer to legal process II as "civ pro".

Civ pro is taught by a different professor than the one who teaches LP and each section takes civ pro individually, rather than as a group. At the end of the year, you have one mark for legal process which is worth a whopping 8 credits (most classes are only 4 credits). The mark is 50% your LP mark and 50% your civ pro mark. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icecreamsandwich said:

You do get to pick an elective seminar which will be added to your winter schedule. If I remember correctly,  in October or November they release seminar descriptions and you have to rank your top 3 seminar choices. Hopefully you get into the one you want - but many people have to settle for their second or third choice. 

Your schedule may look full now - but you will have to add a seminar to winter semester. This is not so bad because its just one 3-hour class.

55 minutes ago, icecreamsandwich said:

Legal process I is basically legal research and writing. You take it full-year with all four sections in the moot court room. Pretty much no one actually attends this class.

Legal process II refers to civil procedure, which you take in winter semester only.  You will hear people refer to Legal process I as "legal process" or "LP" and refer to legal process II as "civ pro".

Civ pro is taught by a different professor than the one who teaches LP and each section takes civ pro individually, rather than as a group. At the end of the year, you have one mark for legal process which is worth a whopping 8 credits (most classes are only 4 credits). The mark is 50% your LP mark and 50% your civ pro mark. 

Thank you so much for clarifying all of this!

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Is it better to do the legal theory seminar (LTS) or the perspective option (PO)?

I find it a little strange that LTS is two semesters long while PO is only one semester. Does that mean if we do LTS, we get more credits?

Will appreciate any input, thanks!

6 hours ago, misssnowflakes said:

Hi guys,

Is it better to do the legal theory seminar (LTS) or the perspective option (PO)?

I find it a little strange that LTS is two semesters long while PO is only one semester. Does that mean if we do LTS, we get more credits?

Will appreciate any input, thanks!

Can’t speak about the content of LTS because I chose to do a perspective. There’s a wide range of selections for the perspective, so I would say if you don’t find legal theory particularly intriguing to you, do the perspective.

They are the same amount of credits, legal theory seminars take place every other week, so it’s the same number of class hours

• Like 1