Jump to content
student8866

Recommended Professors/Professors to Avoid

Recommended Posts

As many of us have gotten our schedules now, I'm interested in finding out from some 2Ls and 3Ls what professors they would recommend/avoid based on their experience at Osgoode.  

I'm aware that most professors are on ratemyprof, but I'd be interested in having a more conversation-like discussion on this topic!  

Any responses would be appreciated :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, student8866 said:

As many of us have gotten our schedules now

Our you an incoming student?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, student8866 said:

Yes. Starting 1L in August. 

Me too, but I haven't heard anything from Osgoode so far. When did they inform you of which section you are in and what the schedule is?

Edited by krnprykt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found out by logging onto Passport York and going under the "courses" tab/on the "plot my courses" tab on http://www.currentstudents.yorku.ca/home. If you don't have a Passport York account yet you can go here to set one up: https://computing.yorku.ca using your Osgoode student number.

I believe the letter (A-D) listed next to the names of your courses is your assigned section. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, student8866 said:

I found out by logging onto Passport York and going under the "courses" tab/on the "plot my courses" tab on http://www.currentstudents.yorku.ca/home. If you don't have a Passport York account yet you can go here to set one up: https://computing.yorku.ca using your Osgoode student number.

I believe the letter (A-D) listed next to the names of your courses is your assigned section. 

I really appreciate your help. Mine says A, so I suppose I'm in section A.

Just checked ratemyprof, and I hope it isn't as bad as they say.

Edited by krnprykt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you know what professors you have? My timetable on Passport York doesn't mention any

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, r430 said:

How do you know what professors you have? My timetable on Passport York doesn't mention any

Can you see which section you are in? If so, you can go to here and find out about your exact schedule and your profs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 4:40 PM, student8866 said:

Yes. Starting 1L in August. 

Even if your profs are absolute ghoulish devils you can’t swap classes as a 1L. You and everyone else in your section will take the classes assigned to you, by the profs assigned to teach your section. I don’t even think you can change sections without extenuating circumstances 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, sorry if this is a little off-topic but since you're discussing courses here, i thought i would ask. Do you know when we're gonna be able to pick our elective course?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bebe97 said:

Hi, sorry if this is a little off-topic but since you're discussing courses here, i thought i would ask. Do you know when we're gonna be able to pick our elective course?

Aren’t the 1L not allowed to select any courses, I looked at my schedule it seems full!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, student8866 said:

I found out by logging onto Passport York and going under the "courses" tab/on the "plot my courses" tab on http://www.currentstudents.yorku.ca/home. If you don't have a Passport York account yet you can go here to set one up: https://computing.yorku.ca using your Osgoode student number.

I believe the letter (A-D) listed next to the names of your courses is your assigned section. 

Hey, just had a question to what you posted. When I go to plot courses I see section B term F, and a week schedule. However, when I go to section B on this link: 

https://ozdomapp1.osgoode.yorku.ca/myosgoode.nsf/jdschedules.xsp

It’s different compared to the schedule I see when I click plot courses (for example on plot courses Friday is empty but on the link, Friday has classes). I’m kind of confused. 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lawstudentmikescott said:

Aren’t the 1L not allowed to select any courses, I looked at my schedule it seems full!

I believe we are supposed to choose between the Legal Theory Seminar and The Perspective Option (see:https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-program/first-year/)  as our elective course in first year. But I agree, my schedule seems to be full as well. 

 

4 minutes ago, lawstudentmikescott said:

Hey, just had a question to what you posted. When I go to plot courses I see section B term F, and a week schedule. However, when I go to section B on this link: 

https://ozdomapp1.osgoode.yorku.ca/myosgoode.nsf/jdschedules.xsp

It’s different compared to the schedule I see when I click plot courses (for example on plot courses Friday is empty but on the link, Friday has classes). I’m kind of confused. 😕 

I have the same issue! Also, I seem to be enrolled in Legal Processes I and II both in the winter term. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bebe97 said:

I believe we are supposed to choose between the Legal Theory Seminar and The Perspective Option (see:https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-program/first-year/)  as our elective course in first year. But I agree, my schedule seems to be full as well. 

 

I have the same issue! Also, I seem to be enrolled in Legal Processes I and II both in the winter term. 

Ok at least I’m not alone lol. I hope more info gets sent out regarding all this. Like an email or something 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bebe97 said:

Hi, sorry if this is a little off-topic but since you're discussing courses here, i thought i would ask. Do you know when we're gonna be able to pick our elective course?

 

17 hours ago, lawstudentmikescott said:

Aren’t the 1L not allowed to select any courses, I looked at my schedule it seems full!

You do get to pick an elective seminar which will be added to your winter schedule. If I remember correctly,  in October or November they release seminar descriptions and you have to rank your top 3 seminar choices. Hopefully you get into the one you want - but many people have to settle for their second or third choice. 

Your schedule may look full now - but you will have to add a seminar to winter semester. This is not so bad because its just one 3-hour class.

Edited by icecreamsandwich
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bebe97 said:

I believe we are supposed to choose between the Legal Theory Seminar and The Perspective Option (see:https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-program/first-year/)  as our elective course in first year. But I agree, my schedule seems to be full as well. 

 

I have the same issue! Also, I seem to be enrolled in Legal Processes I and II both in the winter term. 

Legal process I is basically legal research and writing. You take it full-year with all four sections in the moot court room. Pretty much no one actually attends this class.

Legal process II refers to civil procedure, which you take in winter semester only.  You will hear people refer to Legal process I as "legal process" or "LP" and refer to legal process II as "civ pro".

Civ pro is taught by a different professor than the one who teaches LP and each section takes civ pro individually, rather than as a group. At the end of the year, you have one mark for legal process which is worth a whopping 8 credits (most classes are only 4 credits). The mark is 50% your LP mark and 50% your civ pro mark. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, icecreamsandwich said:

 

You do get to pick an elective seminar which will be added to your winter schedule. If I remember correctly,  in October or November they release seminar descriptions and you have to rank your top 3 seminar choices. Hopefully you get into the one you want - but many people have to settle for their second or third choice. 

Your schedule may look full now - but you will have to add a seminar to winter semester. This is not so bad because its just one 3-hour class.

 

55 minutes ago, icecreamsandwich said:

Legal process I is basically legal research and writing. You take it full-year with all four sections in the moot court room. Pretty much no one actually attends this class.

Legal process II refers to civil procedure, which you take in winter semester only.  You will hear people refer to Legal process I as "legal process" or "LP" and refer to legal process II as "civ pro".

Civ pro is taught by a different professor than the one who teaches LP and each section takes civ pro individually, rather than as a group. At the end of the year, you have one mark for legal process which is worth a whopping 8 credits (most classes are only 4 credits). The mark is 50% your LP mark and 50% your civ pro mark. 

Thank you so much for clarifying all of this!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

Is it better to do the legal theory seminar (LTS) or the perspective option (PO)?

I find it a little strange that LTS is two semesters long while PO is only one semester. Does that mean if we do LTS, we get more credits?

Will appreciate any input, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, misssnowflakes said:

Hi guys,

Is it better to do the legal theory seminar (LTS) or the perspective option (PO)?

I find it a little strange that LTS is two semesters long while PO is only one semester. Does that mean if we do LTS, we get more credits?

Will appreciate any input, thanks!

Can’t speak about the content of LTS because I chose to do a perspective. There’s a wide range of selections for the perspective, so I would say if you don’t find legal theory particularly intriguing to you, do the perspective.

They are the same amount of credits, legal theory seminars take place every other week, so it’s the same number of class hours

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • hey! I am a 2L looking for a roommate. Message me if interested.
    • US JD Books  Property principles and policies third edition Legal writing and Research: ALWD 6th edition An advocate persuades A lawyer rights third edition Canadian JD Books Learning Canadian Criminal Law 14th edition  Canadian Constitutional Law 5th edition Property Law Case and Commentary 3rd edition  Contracts: Cases and Commentaries 10th edition Pick up in Windsor or I will be in Toronto next week.   
    • Choosing a school/program specifically to minimize one's chances of getting rejected from law school is not worth it, in my opinion. OP, if you do plan on going into business at U of A though, you should still look into the various leadership opportunities, case competitions, internships, and possibly the PRIME Program. Not because U of A law would be impressed by them, but because undergrad should be much more than just a pre-law program.  That being said, discrete math might be a course you would be interested in since it can be helpful for the LSAT. 
    • My OASIS updated on July 19th saying I’ve been removed from the waitlist due to accepting another offer. Bummed my Osgoode dreams are over but grateful to be going to law school. Wishing everyone still on the waitlist all the best  my fingers are crossed for you! Hopefully this opens another spot for you all. 
    • Has anyone lived in the single Laurier residence rooms for 1L? I just want to live on campus and due to the meal plan. 
×
×
  • Create New...