ishagol

Is there any non-articling positions available?

Hi all,

New to the forum, not sure if my topic fits into this category...

Anyways, I'm in the process of completing my NCA exams. I can only register for the March Bar exam so I got almost half a year to study which is too much.  I don't have an articling position yet and I heard some employers prefer candidates who have completed their bar before hiring.

So my question is, does anyone have similar experiences and if so, what kind of position could I look for?

Perhaps I have a better chance of securing an articling position if I work at a law office in a non-articling capacity prior to that...just my thought.

Any sort of advice or experience would be appreciated!

Thank you

Posted (edited)

I don't think I understand your question. Are you asking if there are ever positions available at law firms for individuals with law degrees from overseas,  other than articling positions? 

If that's what you're asking, then yes, absolutely. In fact, I would say that I have seen far more legal assistants/administrative staff with foreign degrees (mostly from mills such as Bond and Leicester) than I have seen practising lawyers with same. 

Finally, are you implying that you would do nothing but study for 6 months while waiting to write the (Ontario, I assume) Bar Exam(s)? I would get a job, legal or otherwise, regardless. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ishagol said:

Hi all,

Anyways, I'm in the process of completing my NCA exams. I can only register for the March Bar exam so I got almost half a year to study which is too much.  I don't have an articling position yet and I heard some employers prefer candidates who have completed their bar before hiring.

So my question is, does anyone have similar experiences and if so, what kind of position could I look for?

Perhaps I have a better chance of securing an articling position if I work at a law office in a non-articling capacity prior to that...just my thought.

Thank you

I cannot personally relate to you as I did not write any NCA exams and instead met my NCA qualification requirements by attending Osgoode for an LLM/ third year law. I also applied in the formal recruitment (Toronto and Hamilton) and accepted an articling position out of my offers. 

I do have some friends who have graduated from UK universities and are still in the process of writing their NCA exams. I assume you are talking about the Ontario Bar exams. In Ontario, you cannot "article" unless you have met the NCA requirements and are in the LSO lawyer licensing process. In the mean my friends currently working as legal assistants, law clerks, etc. However, most of my classmates participated in the formal recruitment and secured articling positions after their second year law (before writing NCAs). There are many positions available on Indeed, or on pages such as the TLA career page (check your local law association page). If you're looking to get your foot in the door and can't find a paying position, you can even reach out to local firms or Pro Bono Clinics and see if you can volunteer or shadow there while you complete your NCAs. If you or your friends/family members know any lawyers, I would even suggest reaching out to them to see if they need any help around the firm. Some firms hire outside of the formal recruitment, however you will want to make sure you read through the LSO website, the regions you are looking to apply to, and their important dates & deadlines for applications should you wish to apply to firms that participate in the formal recruitment. I believe a lot of the deadlines listed on the LSO have passed for applying to articling positions for 2020/2021, so you may want to keep an eye out for firms hiring outside of the formal recruitment should you want to start articling within the year. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Jacq

23 hours ago, ishagol said:

Hi all,

Thank you

Assuming you're in Ontario (I have no knowledge of requirements elsewhere), you don't have to complete the bar exams before articling. I personally wrote one of the two during articling, and my employer provided me with the necessary time off to study and write.