Hi all,

I am a 2020 hopeful and would love some opinions on whether or not my ECs are strong!

My experience is mostly in the nonprofit sector as that is where my passion has always been.

In terms of volunteer experience;

• Big Brothers Big Sisters- 5 years
  • Multicultural Program Coordinator at a Seniors Centre - 1 year
  • Program Director at Heart of the City (nonprofit)- 2 years

Paid Experience

• Settlement Assistant at Catholic Social Services- summer intern position 
  • Child Development Facilitator at Ability4Good (nonprofit)- current position 

Research Experience

• RA at a Cultural Psychology Lab- 1 year
  • RA at an Autism Learning Lab- 1 year 
  • Lead Investigator on a music therapy study- current project 

Any insight as to whether or not these experiences make me a competitive applicant would be extremely appreciated. Thanks! 

Your experiences are fine but not good enough to meaningfully increase your chances. What are your stats? That's all that will matter.

2 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Your experiences are fine but not good enough to meaningfully increase your chances. What are your stats? That's all that will matter.

3.8 gpa and 155 lsat! Will be retaking the lsat in September though as the 155 was done just out of curiosity with no prep. 

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

do you qualify for mature category?

No I do not- I’m in my final year of undergrad currently.

3 hours ago, daniellemree said:

3.8 gpa and 155 lsat! Will be retaking the lsat in September though as the 155 was done just out of curiosity with no prep. 

you need 157+ for Ottawa

17 hours ago, daniellemree said:

Hi all,

I am a 2020 hopeful and would love some opinions on whether or not my ECs are strong!

My experience is mostly in the nonprofit sector as that is where my passion has always been.

In terms of volunteer experience;

• Big Brothers Big Sisters- 5 years
  • Multicultural Program Coordinator at a Seniors Centre - 1 year
  • Program Director at Heart of the City (nonprofit)- 2 years

Paid Experience

• Settlement Assistant at Catholic Social Services- summer intern position 
  • Child Development Facilitator at Ability4Good (nonprofit)- current position 

Research Experience

• RA at a Cultural Psychology Lab- 1 year
  • RA at an Autism Learning Lab- 1 year 
  • Lead Investigator on a music therapy study- current project 

Any insight as to whether or not these experiences make me a competitive applicant would be extremely appreciated. Thanks! 

The 5 year commitment with BBBS stands out. Two years as a program director at a NFP is good too. EC's are about quality, not quantity, so if there is a check box for "applicant has real ECs", then it'll be checked off; they show you're a well rounded person with track record of getting involved, which could benefit the law school/your class, but as others have said, the real determinants are LSAT and GPA. 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, Luckycharm said:

do you qualify for mature category?

To be clear, there is no mature category at the U of C (there is also no access category).