KingOfFailures

Low GPA (2.92/3.15) - Should I even write the LSAT?

Completed my degree from Simon Fraser University last month with a CGPA of 2.92 and my L2 is 3.15 I believe. My first year i had terrible grades (F's, D's and C's), but I picked them up starting from my second year with lot's of B's, B+'s and A's, however, the effect of my bad first year is obviously still there. Generally, excluding my first year, my transcript is mostly B's-A's with a few C+'s spotted in there. I'm wondering if I should even bother writing the LSAT or is it just a waste of time and money at this point. I'm not picky about which school I get into so I don't mind the "lower tier" schools like Windsor, Lakehead, TRU etc. If I write the LSAT, I will be doing the Sept. 21 sitting this year in hopes of applying before the Nov.1 deadline at most schools. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

My advice would be register with a local university to take a semester of open studies courses to bump your L2 GPA. I did that and it worked out for me with a similarly bad CGPA

2 hours ago, KingOfFailures said:

Completed my degree from Simon Fraser University last month with a CGPA of 2.92 and my L2 is 3.15 I believe. My first year i had terrible grades (F's, D's and C's), but I picked them up starting from my second year with lot's of B's, B+'s and A's, however, the effect of my bad first year is obviously still there. Generally, excluding my first year, my transcript is mostly B's-A's with a few C+'s spotted in there. I'm wondering if I should even bother writing the LSAT or is it just a waste of time and money at this point. I'm not picky about which school I get into so I don't mind the "lower tier" schools like Windsor, Lakehead, TRU etc. If I write the LSAT, I will be doing the Sept. 21 sitting this year in hopes of applying before the Nov.1 deadline at most schools. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

What's stopping you from taking one test? Nobody here can predict anything without an LSAT score. If you can't be bothered to write it, then the answer is no, you never really gave yourself a chance. 

8 hours ago, KingOfFailures said:

My GPA is lower than yours. I chose to try to go to law school a few years after graduating, wrote a very high LSAT, and was accepted as a Mature candidate at two Ontario schools. I was waitlisted as a regular applicant at UVic the year before I was eventually accepted. It's not impossible to overcome. Not likely by any means, but not impossible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingOfFailures said:

Imo I think you should write the LSAT if you’re legitimately interested in law, I got accepted to 3 schools with worse GPA numbers. Obviously an uphill battle, but if you never try you’ll never know

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, Oilersfan94 said:

Imo I think you should write the LSAT if you’re legitimately interested in law, I got accepted to 3 schools with worse GPA numbers. Obviously an uphill battle, but if you never try you’ll never know

I guess I'll give it a shot this September and see how it goes from there. What were your gpa/lsat numbers and where did you get in?

1 hour ago, KingOfFailures said:

I guess I'll give it a shot this September and see how it goes from there. What were your gpa/lsat numbers and where did you get in?

CGPA was around 2.8, L60 was 3, LSAT was 169 and got in at u of a, u of s, and u of m.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, easttowest said:

My GPA is lower than yours. I chose to try to go to law school a few years after graduating, wrote a very high LSAT, and was accepted as a Mature candidate at two Ontario schools. I was waitlisted as a regular applicant at UVic the year before I was eventually accepted. It's not impossible to overcome. Not likely by any means, but not impossible.

What schools were those?

On 7/8/2019 at 9:04 PM, Oilersfan94 said:

CGPA was around 2.8, L60 was 3, LSAT was 169 and got in at u of a, u of s, and u of m.

Did you apply as regular stream? 

10 hours ago, FutureLawStudent123 said:

What schools were those?

Western and Ottawa.

Yes! Absolutely. 

Study hard, do not give up! You can do it. 

Some of my friends have retaken courses where they received Cs. I know that a bad mark can weigh down your GPA. Is it viable for you to retake your 3 worst courses? Maybe consider that. It is a bit more work, but I think it would better your chances (it shows a change in you, and that you are putting in effort and motivated to succeed, or so I heard and believe). 

Keep studying for the LSAT though. Never give up if law school is your dream!

• Like 1

I find it's generally easier to improve your GPA than your LSAT score. If you are not in a hurry to graduate, maybe take an extra year/semester to increase your GPA (take some easy classes). 

My $0.02.

If you'd prefer to start law school sooner rather than later and don't mind the occasional random online poster calling your school "lower tier", then write the LSAT, target those schools and convince them that there's no place else you'd rather be. 😝

But if you have a strong preference for the level of "prestige" you'd prefer your institution to exude (most students do, nothing against that), then you've got to raise your B2/L2.

I strongly considered this at one point, but based on a number of factors not the least of which were time and cost, I decided otherwise. For me, the math didn't make sense. I'd have needed to do a full year of courses maintaining 3.6 or higher to raise my L2 from a 3.2 to about a 3.4, which yes was an improvement but not enough to make me want to wait a full year. So part of this might also depend on how the numbers work for you. If your L2 was something like a 2.6 in 3rd and then a 3.5 in 4th, adding one year of courses while a stellar GPA will work wonders for your prospects in L2 schools. But if like me, you tended to follow up your A's with some C bombs or worse in the same year,  then the bump from an extra year might not be that significant. 

Also consider the time you'd have to take off work to do the courses. If you're working full time, like I was at the time, you might be giving up a chunk of money to chase a higher GPA. 

That said, as someone who ended up going to law school later in life, I can tell you that the process is a marathon, not a sprint. So take your time and think through what you want and what makes sense for you to do. You're certainly not out of the running yet. It's just that from where you are, it'll be a bit of an uphill climb. But it's a very climbable hill.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

Definitely write it. Ive seen people get in this year with worse stats and average lsats somehow. Legit someone recently got into Windsor with <3.0 cgpa and L2 and a 157. You can still write the lsat as well after application deadlines. 

Edited by AJD19

It's doable. Read my post history for my stats. If you're really worried, take one year of undergrad to bump your GPA up. If you have been out of school for a few years that's a plus. I'd just apply to law schools and to undergrad at the same time if possible, that way youre still on track even if you don't get into law this cycle.

22 hours ago, AJD19 said:

Definitely write it. Ive seen people get in this year with worse stats and average lsats somehow. Legit someone recently got into Windsor with <3.0 cgpa and L2 and a 157. You can still write the lsat as well after application deadlines. 

Hahah that was me! I re-read my essay questions I sent to Windsor and wrote a lot about my dedication to community service and desire to contribute to social change due to personal experiences, so I guess they liked that. I also had extenuating circumstances during my undergrad that I explained in the last essay question, and I'm a mature student with international work experience.