Fasht

Grade conversion of International applicants

Hi ,

I am currently a law student in France, I will apply this year to Mcgill and I am worrying about grade conversion.

In France we have an undergraduate law curriculum without any form of selection so professors do it with the help of grade deflation, approximately more than a half of a first year law class will fail, the same goes for second year and etc.

Therefore you can finish with a pathetic grade but nonetheless be in the top of your class, we are awarded grades between 0 and 20, the latter grade being the top grade and 10 the passing grade.

In my class the valedictorian did get a 14, as for me I am a 12.3 student BUT I am in the 90th percentile ( class of 224 student ) of my class this year ( second year ) and was in the 95th percentile ( class of around 550 or 600 student ) of my class last year.

If converted mathematically I absolutely don’t stand a chance for Mcgill but with the context of my rank I believe that I can be admitted.

So how do you think the admissions committee will convert my grades ? 

I think you will need a WES evaluation of your grades to apply to Canadian law schools. Have a look at the law school websites to confirm, and check up on WES as well to see how they may look at your current university. 

I went on exchange in France in my undergrad at a notoriously difficult school. I was worried about the same thing. I got an average of around 17/20 though. 

I agree with Ryan - WES is your best bet. If it's any consolation, we have multiple students from France each year.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:33 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

I got an average of around 17/20 though

I believe then that you were on a hard science curriculum, in a law undergraduate there is no way to get an average of 17, if you did you wouldn’t have had to worry about, being first of your class..

Otherwise thanks for the advices, I will look on the WES website.

4 minutes ago, Fasht said:

I believe then that you were on a hard science curriculum, in a law undergraduate there is no way to get an average of 17, if you did you wouldn’t have had to worry about, being first of your class..

Otherwise thanks for the advices, I will look on the WES website.

Business.

You already have a law degree and now you want to come to McGill? For the LLB? 

On 7/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, Fasht said:

Hi ,

I am currently a law student in France, I will apply this year to Mcgill and I am worrying about grade conversion.

In France we have an undergraduate law curriculum without any form of selection so professors do it with the help of grade deflation, approximately more than a half of a first year law class will fail, the same goes for second year and etc.

Therefore you can finish with a pathetic grade but nonetheless be in the top of your class, we are awarded grades between 0 and 20, the latter grade being the top grade and 10 the passing grade.

In my class the valedictorian did get a 14, as for me I am a 12.3 student BUT I am in the 90th percentile ( class of 224 student ) of my class this year ( second year ) and was in the 95th percentile ( class of around 550 or 600 student ) of my class last year.

If converted mathematically I absolutely don’t stand a chance for Mcgill but with the context of my rank I believe that I can be admitted.

So how do you think the admissions committee will convert my grades ? 

According to McGill's website (https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/international/apply/equivalency), they generally calculate the average according to your overall standing.

I think the law faculty may consider your percentile, provided that they use the same method as graduate studies. You shouldn't worry too much about it. 

Edited by dilemma
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

You already have a law degree and now you want to come to McGill? For the LLB? 

Yes for their joint program, I would like to practice law both in France, Canada and maybe the US if I pursue with a JD degree or a LLM