Jump to content
Fasht

Grade conversion of International applicants

Recommended Posts

Hi ,

I am currently a law student in France, I will apply this year to Mcgill and I am worrying about grade conversion.

In France we have an undergraduate law curriculum without any form of selection so professors do it with the help of grade deflation, approximately more than a half of a first year law class will fail, the same goes for second year and etc.

Therefore you can finish with a pathetic grade but nonetheless be in the top of your class, we are awarded grades between 0 and 20, the latter grade being the top grade and 10 the passing grade.

In my class the valedictorian did get a 14, as for me I am a 12.3 student BUT I am in the 90th percentile ( class of 224 student ) of my class this year ( second year ) and was in the 95th percentile ( class of around 550 or 600 student ) of my class last year.

If converted mathematically I absolutely don’t stand a chance for Mcgill but with the context of my rank I believe that I can be admitted.

So how do you think the admissions committee will convert my grades ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will need a WES evaluation of your grades to apply to Canadian law schools. Have a look at the law school websites to confirm, and check up on WES as well to see how they may look at your current university. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went on exchange in France in my undergrad at a notoriously difficult school. I was worried about the same thing. I got an average of around 17/20 though. 

I agree with Ryan - WES is your best bet. If it's any consolation, we have multiple students from France each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 5:33 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

I got an average of around 17/20 though

I believe then that you were on a hard science curriculum, in a law undergraduate there is no way to get an average of 17, if you did you wouldn’t have had to worry about, being first of your class..

Otherwise thanks for the advices, I will look on the WES website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fasht said:

I believe then that you were on a hard science curriculum, in a law undergraduate there is no way to get an average of 17, if you did you wouldn’t have had to worry about, being first of your class..

Otherwise thanks for the advices, I will look on the WES website.

Business.

You already have a law degree and now you want to come to McGill? For the LLB? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, Fasht said:

Hi ,

I am currently a law student in France, I will apply this year to Mcgill and I am worrying about grade conversion.

In France we have an undergraduate law curriculum without any form of selection so professors do it with the help of grade deflation, approximately more than a half of a first year law class will fail, the same goes for second year and etc.

Therefore you can finish with a pathetic grade but nonetheless be in the top of your class, we are awarded grades between 0 and 20, the latter grade being the top grade and 10 the passing grade.

In my class the valedictorian did get a 14, as for me I am a 12.3 student BUT I am in the 90th percentile ( class of 224 student ) of my class this year ( second year ) and was in the 95th percentile ( class of around 550 or 600 student ) of my class last year.

If converted mathematically I absolutely don’t stand a chance for Mcgill but with the context of my rank I believe that I can be admitted.

So how do you think the admissions committee will convert my grades ? 

According to McGill's website (https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/international/apply/equivalency), they generally calculate the average according to your overall standing.

I think the law faculty may consider your percentile, provided that they use the same method as graduate studies. You shouldn't worry too much about it. 

Edited by dilemma
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

You already have a law degree and now you want to come to McGill? For the LLB? 

Yes for their joint program, I would like to practice law both in France, Canada and maybe the US if I pursue with a JD degree or a LLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • On test day, I was under so much pressure that my brain went on auto-pilot and my ability to methodically break down each question went out the window, even though I'd spent hundreds of hours studying similar questions at home. If your goal is to start law school in 2020, I think it'd be worth it for you to experience that pressure before the do-or-die January exam. I started with a low 140s diagnostic and ended up with a 163 after a year of studying. 
    • Waitlisted today for the English common law program, I'll probably take myself off the waitlist since I firmly accepted at another school a long time ago.  cGPA: 3.57 L2: 3.61 LSAT: 162
    • I posted this question a few days back in a different part of this forum. Check out the answers:  
    • ^ I agree. This profession is already tough enough as it is. No one wants to deal with this type of arrogance. 
    • $75k is a lot of money. However, what's "manageable" isn't really something we can answer for you. It depends on many things, like your salary as a student/jr. lawyer, your risk tolerance, the type of lifestyle you're willing to maintain while paying off debt, parental or spousal support, etc.
×
×
  • Create New...