LawSchoolJock

Dal’s National and International Reputation

I have 2 burning questions that I wanted to ask surrounding Dal’s reputation outside of Halifax so I’ll post it here in case my situation is relevant to anyone else’s:

1-Dal having strong ties to the Toronto legal market. 

I’ve always wondered how true this is because after checking the Ultravires statistics there doesn’t appear to be too many Dal grads on Bay Street. Could it be that maybe the vast majority of Dal students are not interested? If you had to guess how many Dal students are interested in working on Bay Street and how likely they are they to make it there with average to above average marks what would the numbers hypothetically look like? How much of disadvantage would going to Dal be for personal reasons as opposed to attending Queens/Western when it comes to a career on Bay Street?

I focus on Bay Street but the same question(s) apply when it comes to Vancouver’s Edmonton’s and Calgary’s legal market.

2-Dal’s national/international reputation 

Like I said, I personally have no real desire to practice law in market as far west as Vancouver, but how high in their class ranking would a Dal student need to be in order to have a realistic chance of practicing law there? What is the perceived gap in terms of reputation and clout between Dal and a school such as UVic would have when it comes to their reputation in BC? 

Btw I have also heard rumours that Dal Law is relatively well known in the states of NY and Massachusetts and around the northeastern US. Is there any truth to this? Do you know of anyone who was able to able to practice law south of the boarder with a Dal law degree and if so how often/likely does this occur?

Again any and all feedback is appreciated. I know that it may seem a bit unconventional for someone with Bay Street aspirations to prioritize Dal over some of the Ontario law schools, but I personal circumstances have effectively tied me to pursuing my legal education in and around the Maritimes.

Have a great weekend! 

Posted (edited)

I graduated from Dal several years ago, and have been working in countries other than Canada so I might be able to provide some insight. Answers in bold below.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, LawSchoolJock said:

I have 2 burning questions that I wanted to ask surrounding Dal’s reputation outside of Halifax so I’ll post it here in case my situation is relevant to anyone else’s:

1-Dal having strong ties to the Toronto legal market. 

I’ve always wondered how true this is because after checking the Ultravires statistics there doesn’t appear to be too many Dal grads on Bay Street. Could it be that maybe the vast majority of Dal students are not interested? If you had to guess how many Dal students are interested in working on Bay Street and how likely they are they to make it there with average to above average marks what would the numbers hypothetically look like? How much of disadvantage would going to Dal be for personal reasons as opposed to attending Queens/Western when it comes to a career on Bay Street?

I focus on Bay Street but the same question(s) apply when it comes to Vancouver’s Edmonton’s and Calgary’s legal market.

Dal has grads across the country in all major markets; my impression is that is also has a good reputation across the country. For example, all major firms across the country come to Dal to OCI, which isn't true of other schools. However, all other things being equal, going to a law school in the city/jurisdiction you want to work in will always be advantageous (think practically about the ability to go to law firm events, not having to travel for in firm interviews, etc.).

2-Dal’s national/international reputation 

Like I said, I personally have no real desire to practice law in market as far west as Vancouver, but how high in their class ranking would a Dal student need to be in order to have a realistic chance of practicing law there? What is the perceived gap in terms of reputation and clout between Dal and a school such as UVic would have when it comes to their reputation in BC? See above; I don't think there is a "reputation gap"; but going to school in the jurisdiction you want to practice is always advantageous.

Btw I have also heard rumours that Dal Law is relatively well known in the states of NY and Massachusetts and around the northeastern US. Is there any truth to this? No, not in my experience. Do you know of anyone who was able to able to practice law south of the boarder with a Dal law degree and if so how often/likely does this occur? Yes. It's not very common. I think 2-3 people in my graduating class did it. A combination of good grades, starting a good/large firm, and good luck are needed, in my experience.

Again any and all feedback is appreciated. I know that it may seem a bit unconventional for someone with Bay Street aspirations to prioritize Dal over some of the Ontario law schools;, but I personal circumstances have effectively tied me to pursuing my legal education in and around the Maritimes.

Have a great weekend! 

Edited by conge