Sign in to follow this  
rawadh

Impact of doing courses after my undergrad degree (open studies) to boost my average?

Hi guys, I'm looking to inquire on what schools in particular will consider any after degree (open studies) classes that I may take into my application average? Also, does taking 100 level courses still impact my average or do they only consider courses at the 200 level and above?

Some context: I completed a bachelor of science, majoring in psychology and minoring in biological science in 2017. I'm enrolled in summer and fall term open studies.

Thanks.

Most schools will accept open studies courses, UBC is a notable exception. I took a few semesters of open studies to bump my L2 and I was admitted to TRU, U of A, and waitlisted at Queen's and Western. My understanding is that they do look at the content of those courses and discourage - or outright ignore - any courses that aren't upper level (300-400 level). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know whether these courses have to be taken at the same university where you did your undergrad or can you do the courses at a different Uni ?

On 7/8/2019 at 10:52 AM, LawHopeful6 said:

Does anyone know whether these courses have to be taken at the same university where you did your undergrad or can you do the courses at a different Uni ?

As far as I know, the courses just have to be taken at a recognized university. 

Edit: There wouldn't really be a practical reason to mandate that these additional courses come from the same university as the applicant's undergrad. This quote is from Western's admissions page:

What if I take a fifth year to complete my degree or I take additional undergraduate courses after I graduate?  Will those courses count towards my “last two” years GPA?
Yes they will.

Edited by TheAEGIS

Will law schools care or look down at the fact that we're doing this purely to raise our cGPA?