Sign in to follow this  
Ghalm

Bay street articling salary increases?

31 minutes ago, wtamow said:

Didn't say anything about paycuts or letting their pay fall below street. In the lawandstyle article that was posted about this, most Davies students said that the salary increase did not have a significant effect on their decision to go there. I really doubt anyone is choosing to work at Davies over Blakes because of $150 weekly salary increase. In my opinion, that is a really bad way to decide which firm you want to join. So I would assume you, Davies and I are all in agreement:

Is it good PR? Sure.

Would they attract the same caliber students if their weekly articling salary remained at 2017-2018 levels (i.e. what the rest of Bay St is at)? Of course they would.

As a fun exercise, I wonder how high articling salaries would have to rise in order for firms such as Davies to compete for the candidates that go to NY.

But to be more fair, narrowing students down to those who want to do corporate - I'm guessing many already decide to stay in Canada even though NYC is an option. I know of several myself.

14 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

They already do. Many students who can do better than either NY firms or Davies choose other opportunities.

Yeah, but at that point it is less about the money. Davies could increase their salaries to $5,000 a week and probably not capture those students.

13 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

But to be more fair, narrowing students down to those who want to do corporate - I'm guessing many already decide to stay in Canada even though NYC is an option. I know of several myself.

This is true, but there is still a significant enough amount of students that went to NYC this summer (20 from U of T, not sure how many from other schools). I don't think Davies is interested in competing for those students in the first place though.

Edited by wtamow

2 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Students frequently have an inflated sense of their value to an employer. This thread is no exception. ;)

Who is talking about value to their employer? Students are worthless. That doesn’t mean they have no leverage. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

38 minutes ago, TheAEGIS said:

Soooo ... are the increases a thing or not?

Yeah, they are but the size and application varies from firm to firm. 

6 hours ago, TheAEGIS said:

Soooo ... are the increases a thing or not?

Yeah, I believe it's confirmed.

Edited by CTerror

33 minutes ago, CTerror said:

Yeah, I believe it's confirmed.

Why is everyone so secretive?

5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Who is being secretive? 

Iunno, like the specifics on which firms have been increasing salaries?

1 hour ago, teg4455 said:

Iunno, like the specifics on which firms have been increasing salaries?

Student salaries have never been secrete. I’m sure your CDO will produce a list in the fall that lists all the OCI firms and the weekly salary they pay 

18 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

Student salaries have never been secrete. I’m sure your CDO will produce a list in the fall that lists all the OCI firms and the weekly salary they pay 

Yeah. And then they'll mail them out to all students in a plain brown wrapper. And include a box of kleenex and hand lotion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Might as well start your career pursuit with a feel good moment.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 9:55 PM, Ghalm said:

Rumour has it that one large bay street firm has increased their articling salary from 1450 a week to 1700 a week. Also, Law and Style magazine reported a month ago that Bennett Jones and Davies raised their articling salaries to 1850 a week (https://lawandstyle.ca/law/on-the-record-why-did-bennett-jones-and-davies-reward-their-articling-students-with-a-raise/).

So, what do we think? Is this an indication that the large firms on Bay street will increase their articling student salaries? What does it take for that to happen? Is one firm moving away from the norm enough?

Actually hearing another bumped to $1900 per week now. 

17 hours ago, Blurg said:

But apparently cut other amounts they would otherwise have given to the students, so grain of salt when looking at that number.

What other amounts do you mean?

7 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

Read the article.

Oh, I just saw. $1,700 is still better than $1,450, so I guess it is still a step in the right direction?

Wow. Does that mean Mcarthy's will be raising their grid again? If not there's only $11K difference between associate and student salary. 

Edited by TheScientist101