bhaywardio

Course Selection

Hello all, 

Going into 2L at QL, and am having a bit of an overwhelming experience trying to pick my courses. I am leaning towards family law/contracts, and am wondering just what I should be taking. I have enough sense to take any family law course I can with Bala (which is in the winter term this year, locking me out of any courses that require it as a prerequisite until 3L...unless I take it with not-Bala). Do any current family law lawyers or upper years have any suggestions for good courses to take? I figure estates and whatnot may be useful in a family law context, but I'm not certain. 

Thanks!

Trusts, estate, family law and real estate.  Tax would probably also touch on those subjects.  Contracts is mandatory if not definitely take that.  I didnt go in Ontario so not sure how specific the classes go but those are the broad ones I can think about.

• Thanks 1

Family lawyer. Take any mediation/negotiation courses, children & law (most schools don't offer it though), bankruptcy, trusts, wills/estates and any litigation-type course. Oh, and basic tax too.  Also, criminal law/procedure (lots of overlap).

I get by without taking trusts, wills and tax. In retrospect, I should have taken these classes though.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:40 PM, Bure10 said:

Trusts, estate, family law and real estate.  Tax would probably also touch on those subjects.  Contracts is mandatory if not definitely take that.  I didnt go in Ontario so not sure how specific the classes go but those are the broad ones I can think about.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, artsydork said:

Family lawyer. Take any mediation/negotiation courses, children & law (most schools don't offer it though), bankruptcy, trusts, wills/estates and any litigation-type course. Oh, and basic tax too.  Also, criminal law/procedure (lots of overlap).

I get by without taking trusts, wills and tax. In retrospect, I should have taken these classes though.

Thank you for the replies - I did take contracts in 1L, should I be taking advanced contracts? So far I have alternative dispute resolution, trial advocacy, family law (with Bala), tax, evidence and legal research. There is a children's law course offered but you need intro as a prerequisite and it runs in the winter term 😕. Thought about wills and estates, I might wait for 3L to take that so I can keep my three day weekends :P 

I’m almost 100% sure that Family law is a pre/co- requisite to Children’s law, meaning you can take both at the same time. As someone who’s taken Children’s, I know there were several people in the class who were also taking family that term (and one person who didn’t even have family law but got an exemption to take children’s without it)

On 7/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

I’m almost 100% sure that Family law is a pre/co- requisite to Children’s law, meaning you can take both at the same time. As someone who’s taken Children’s, I know there were several people in the class who were also taking family that term (and one person who didn’t even have family law but got an exemption to take children’s without it)

Interesting, I didn't know that! As you took it, would you recommend taking them concurrently or did you find that it was easier having taken family law beforehand?

Hard to say because I also worked with the Family Law clinic, so I had that background as well. I don’t think it would be difficult to take them together. The second half of Children’s Law is Youth Criminal justice, so the connection to family aren’t as obvious. The other thing is Children’s law is assessed on weekly journals that are about your reflections on the readings, whereas Family is more black letter law and case law. So if you were taking family at the same time, you might find yourself drawing on readings from that course in your Children’s reflections, which I think would actually be an asset. 

• Thanks 1