How does the cum laude distinction at UO law work? What percentage of the graduating class typically gets this distinction?

Posted (edited)

I think it's over 7.0 (about 15%), but check the 60 page handbook lol it's in there

Edited by Trew

Its always just a few google clicks away ;)

"At the Common Law and Civil Law sections of the Faculty of Law, citations are awarded according to the following cumulative grade point averages:

SUMMA CUM LAUDE:          8.50 – 10

MAGNA CUM LAUDE:          8.00 – 8.49

CUM LAUDE:                        7.00 – 7.99 "

Source (Section 13.5 Citations)

On 7/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, Trew said:

I think it's over 7.0 (about 15%), but check the 60 page handbook lol it's in there

I know that Dean's list hovers around a 7.5 and is the top 10%, so 7.0 being top 15% seems a bit high? I assumed a 7.0 was closer to top 20-25%, but can't find the numbers to back that up. 

7 hours ago, chaboywb said:

I know that Dean's list hovers around a 7.5 and is the top 10%, so 7.0 being top 15% seems a bit high? I assumed a 7.0 was closer to top 20-25%, but can't find the numbers to back that up. 

It's somewhere in that book, but yours is probably closer to the mark

11 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Dean’s List is now 7.5 and up and not linked to any class ranking. 7.5 was not top 10% for the 2017-18 1L class; top 10% was closer to 8.0, not sure how far below that mark it came if at all. 

18 hours ago, easttowest said:

Dean’s List is now 7.5 and up and not linked to any class ranking. 7.5 was not top 10% for the 2017-18 1L class; top 10% was closer to 8.0, not sure how far below that mark it came if at all. 

8.0 was top 5% in 2012

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 6:55 PM, Luckycharm said:

8.0 was top 5% in 2012

Yeah I was going to say - there has been some inflation in the grades there!

8.0 was pretty close to top 5% in 2016 as well (I think 7.9 was actually more on the mark around that time for top 5%). The only way to truly know is if you have an 8.0 and your ranking, but I find it hard to believe that over 30 students have over an 8.0 average. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheScientist101 said:

8.0 was pretty close to top 5% in 2016 as well (I think 7.9 was actually more on the mark around that time for top 5%). The only way to truly know is if you have an 8.0 and your ranking, but I find it hard to believe that over 30 students have over an 8.0 average. 

I had both and I can confirm 2012 L1 only. 

Edited by Luckycharm

Is there any way to know what percentage of students make the Dean’s list or get above the 7.5 threshold? I asked if they had a ranking and it looks like they don’t anymore (for the English JD anyway). I fell like giving out Dean’s list honours to anyone with a 7.5 kinda dilutes it’s value...unless a 7.5 truly is competitive (around top 10%.

any insight?

On 7/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, TheScientist101 said:

I think under 16 in my L1.  My friend got 8.0 and was around 5% and ranked 16.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SeniorLopez247 said:

Is there any way to know what percentage of students make the Dean’s list or get above the 7.5 threshold? I asked if they had a ranking and it looks like they don’t anymore (for the English JD anyway). I fell like giving out Dean’s list honours to anyone with a 7.5 kinda dilutes it’s value...unless a 7.5 truly is competitive (around top 10%.

any insight?

No, there isn’t, and you’re correct, they have stopped ranking the class. They untethered the Dean’s list from class percentile sometime around 2014 (based on the PDF of the old regulations you can find floating around). The only way I know of now to know if you’re 10% is if you get an invitation to apply to that scholarship from Blakes after 1L (only open to top 10% who are also, of course, Ontario residents).

Edited by easttowest