Majd3

Should I Change my mind? Western vs Queens

Hi guys, I had already committed to Queen's (paid the deposit and found a place to live so I paid rent for first and last month) so I already put down $2300. However, the other day I got an email from Western saying I have been accepted off the wait list. I initially would have preferred Western because its a bit closer to home (I'm from Toronto) but Queen's is an amazing school as well, they both are. I just wanted some insight, do you guys think it's worth it at this point to change my mind and go to Western instead? I have till Wednesday to let them know,

Thanks for any input 

6 minutes ago, Majd3 said:

Hi guys, I had already committed to Queen's (paid the deposit and found a place to live so I paid rent for first and last month) so I already put down $2300. However, the other day I got an email from Western saying I have been accepted off the wait list. I initially would have preferred Western because its a bit closer to home (I'm from Toronto) but Queen's is an amazing school as well, they both are. I just wanted some insight, do you guys think it's worth it at this point to change my mind and go to Western instead? I have till Wednesday to let them know,

Thanks for any input 

There is not enough information here to help you make a decision. Why else do you want to go to Western besides the fact that it's a little closer to Toronto than Queen's? Does this really matter given the fact that Western is still 3 hours away?

1 hour ago, Majd3 said:

/Hi guys, I had already committed to Queen's (paid the deposit and found a place to live so I paid rent for first and last month) so I already put down $2300. However, the other day I got an email from Western saying I have been accepted off the wait list. I initially would have preferred Western because its a bit closer to home (I'm from Toronto) but Queen's is an amazing school as well, they both are. I just wanted some insight, do you guys think it's worth it at this point to change my mind and go to Western instead? I have till Wednesday to let them know,

Thanks for any input 

For an incoming law student, I would say the only real and meaningful differences between Western and Queens that you may want to consider are:

1) Location - Would you rather live in London or Kingston? Do you have any special connections to either city? Do you have friends or relatives in either city? And maybe, as you noted, how far is Kingston from home versus London?

• From what I've heard, Kingston is smaller and more navigable than London so its easier to get around/more convenient as a student
  • London is a few hours closer to the GTA. If you plan to travel home every weekend this may be something to consider. Kingston is also somewhat close to Ottawa and Montreal, if that's your thing

2) Cost - What is the tuition like at Queens vs Western? Cost of living? 

• Tuition seems to be roughly the same at both schools
  • Living in Kingston may be a little bit more expensive than London though

3) Specialty - Western specializes in business/corporate law. Queens specializes in criminal law. What I mean by specializing is that these schools may offer unique opportunities in these respective areas which you might not receive elsewhere. This however doesn't mean you can't pursue business/corporate law at Queens or criminal law at Western

• Your chances at Big Law/Bay Street would be the same at Queens or Western. What would actually matter is you as an individual (i.e. your grades, resume, how well you interview, etc)
  • From my experience, Western's reputation as a business law school is well-earned. If you go there don't be surprised or complain that other areas of law play second fiddle to corporate or that the student body is full of Bay Street gunners

Aside from these three points, I think many others would agree that neither Queens nor Western clearly offers more in terms of the quality of education you'll get, employability, social environment, etc

• Thanks 1

^ London is 45 minutes closer to Toronto than Kingston, not “a few hours”.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jayoh said:

For an incoming law student, I would say the only real and meaningful differences between Western and Queens that you may want to consider are:

1) Location - Would you rather live in London or Kingston? Do you have any special connections to either city? Do you have friends or relatives in either city? And maybe, as you noted, how far is Kingston from home versus London?

• From what I've heard, Kingston is smaller and more navigable than London so its easier to get around/more convenient as a student
  • London is a few hours closer to the GTA. If you plan to travel home every weekend this may be something to consider. Kingston is also somewhat close to Ottawa and Montreal, if that's your thing

2) Cost - What is the tuition like at Queens vs Western? Cost of living? 

• Tuition seems to be roughly the same at both schools
  • Living in Kingston may be a little bit more expensive than London though

3) Specialty - Western specializes in business/corporate law. Queens specializes in criminal law. What I mean by specializing is that these schools may offer unique opportunities in these respective areas which you might not receive elsewhere. This however doesn't mean you can't pursue business/corporate law at Queens or criminal law at Western

• Your chances at Big Law/Bay Street would be the same at Queens or Western. What would actually matter is you as an individual (i.e. your grades, resume, how well you interview, etc)
  • From my experience, Western's reputation as a business law school is well-earned. If you go there don't be surprised or complain that other areas of law play second fiddle to corporate or that the student body is full of Bay Street gunners

Aside from these three points, I think many others would agree that neither Queens nor Western clearly offers more in terms of the quality of education you'll get, employability, social environment, etc

Thanks, this was extremely helpful, I'm  thinking of either going into business law or family law. I think as you said though, my chances at Big Law are the same from either school and what truly matters is myself as an individual.

Appreciate your insight 

17 minutes ago, wakawaka said:

^ London is 45 minutes closer to Toronto than Kingston, not “a few hours”.

I was speaking in terms of the total  extra hours you would be spending commuting back and forth throughout the school year

The time it takes to travel to Western proper and to Queen’s is basically identical. There’s a LOT more traffic west of Toronto, and main campus at UWO is incredibly far from the 401, it’s a good 20-30 minute drive through the city. Travel time is honestly a wash between the two. 

Cost is also a wash between the two, Queens with lower tuition but pricier rent. Just pick a city and go with it, both are fantastic options.