On 7/17/2019 at 5:00 PM, AZBrick said:

I've suspected this for some time now. It sounds as though they are interested in creating a well rounded class rather than focusing on merit at this point. Therefore, the likelihood of any one applicant being selected is dependent on the kind of student they are losing from the class and whether or not you'd be a good replacement.

Since it appears that classes are pretty much full across Ontario and most other schools (at least from reading forums on this website), the question is how much movement can we really expect from now until the start of classes? While I'm relatively new to this process, it seems like this year was a doozy of an application cycle and is in general difficult to compare to previous cycles. 

They do have a ranking but they just don't want to let you know. The previous year's wait lists were not ranked by merit only.

I hope uOttawa can re-consider this decision.

Hi~guys. I called the admin today. A nice guy picked up the phone and said the class is already full and the waitlist  will never be numbered this year. The chances of admission will depend on the persons who reject their offers from Ottawa. I do not know how to say about the suffering process. Why they make a big waitlist list and just admit a few guys? They really need to improve their admin efficiency. We paid our application fee for the service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, penguinh said:

What a disappointing waitlist this year... 

Make sure to ask for detailed feedback. Request an appointment, they will tell you the specific aspects of your application you need to improve on.

• Like 2

This advice by @capitalttruth is important. If you plan on reapplying in the next cycle, you should be addressing any shortfalls in your application package prior to the deadline. Applying again with the same app details is likely to bring the same disappointing result.

7 minutes ago, penguinh said:

I do plan on doing that but we have to wait until the end of the cycle- in September no? 

You don't have to wait for anything. You can get started on your new and amazing personal statement and LSAT studying today. 

Edited by Trew

On 8/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, Needmoreluck said:

Hi~guys. I called the admin today. A nice guy picked up the phone and said the class is already full and the waitlist  will never be numbered this year. The chances of admission will depend on the persons who reject their offers from Ottawa. I do not know how to say about the suffering process. Why they make a big waitlist list and just admit a few guys? They really need to improve their admin efficiency. We paid our application fee for the service.

You paid your application fee for their consideration which you got. Don't be bitter, be better

Edited by Trew

7 minutes ago, Trew said:

You don't have to wait for anything. You can get started on your new and amazing personal statement and LSAT studying today. 

I have, I was asking about asking for application feedback. For example, for Osgoode they said we have to wait until August 31st to ask. It's not technically end of the application cycle yet. 

9 minutes ago, penguinh said:

I have, I was asking about asking for application feedback. For example, for Osgoode they said we have to wait until August 31st to ask. It's not technically end of the application cycle yet. 

I asked for application feedback this morning. Received a reply, but it was very generic. It was not specific to my case, but nonetheless may provide useful information depending on yours. If you're curious, email them. 

1 minute ago, curiouslegal said:

I asked for application feedback this morning. Received a reply, but it was very generic. It was not specific to my case, but nonetheless may provide useful information depending on yours. If you're curious, email them. 

Well I'm still on the waitlist so technically the cycle is not over for me yet but I'm surprised you received a generic response. @capitalttruth says that you can book an appointment and that Ottawa is pretty detailed with their feedback..

Just now, penguinh said:

Well I'm still on the waitlist so technically the cycle is not over for me yet but I'm surprised you received a generic response. @capitalttruth says that you can book an appointment and that Ottawa is pretty detailed with their feedback..

This is true. I should have mentioned that I was not wait listed, rather I was rejected. Oh is that right? Interesting. 

1 hour ago, penguinh said:

Do you really need them to tell you what you did wrong? Just do it. For me, I had months in the summer to think about how I could improve my PS for the next cycle.

Edit: in fairness, I just saw they didn't number their waitlist this year so you probably had less understanding of where you stood and are just recently realizing.

Edited by Trew

7 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Do it when the cycle is over. Make an appointment. Speak to someone face to face.

I don't know if it was just me when I called and asked for an appointment and personalized feedback they said they wouldn't do that anymore due to the number of applicants. I sent an email to two different admissions officers and just recieved a copied and pasted a generic reply. 

This reply included a suggestion to get an additional undergraduate degree even with a 3.7 CGPA. 

It appears they had an extreme amount of applicants and got extremely overloaded.

Edited by SpaceLawyer
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Trew said:

You paid your application fee for their consideration which you got. Don't be bitter, be better

I think it's pretty fair to be irritable after this cycle. People paid money and It didn't make a lot of sense in regard to Ottawa U. 

Especially when they can't even provide feedback other than generalized replies targeted at everyone. 

@SpaceLawyer    Like I said, it's better to wait until the cycle is over. I know of two individuals who were told to call back in the first week of September to set up an appointment.

6 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

@SpaceLawyer    Like I said, it's better to wait until the cycle is over. I know of two individuals who were told to call back in the first week of September to set up an appointment.

I guess it was because I called before the cycle was over, it's frustrating that they would say otherwise in the emails.