darkangel45422

Best Resources to Keep Up On the Law?

I was just wondering what resources everyone uses to try and keep up on changes to the law - new statutes making their way through the legislature, new cases, etc. 

I feel like there's so much to keep up on, and that there must be resources out there so that you have sort of a one-stop place to go to catch up on what's new. I already subscribe to Supreme Advocacy to keep up on the SCC's comings and goings but how do people keep up with new laws that are being debated or coming into force, and caselaw in their relevant fields?

For reference, I practice primarily criminal law, but am totally open to more general suggestions too so that others can see the resources that exist.

• Like 2

Supreme Advocacy has a weekly newsletter that lets you know about the latest stuff coming out of the SCC. Great resource.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:21 PM, darkangel45422 said:

What do you have your alerts set to out of curiosity?

I practice in front of administrative tribunals and labour arbitrators, primarily. I'm also in Ontario. So I have alerts to relevant topic areas that I deal with set for the Divisional Court to capture any appeals or judicial reviews.

I also follow some of the big appellate litigation that will have labour or administrative implications (like the forthcoming standard of review change).

For criminal defence counsel, the listserve of your local defence lawyer association (eg CDLA in Calgary, CTLA in Edmonton, CLA in Ontario). 

And read new cases on CanLII.  And go to seminars and conferences. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Possibly! But on this forum you also can't account for equity and diversity considerations that are important to every university (in theory at least). There are of course considerations for race, culture, etc., but also for academic interests and life experiences. So it may be early offers had better personal statements or ECs, but it could also be that the university thinks their life experience/background will contribute greatly to the diversity of the class.
    • People here are getting all up in arms about $1000 shoes, but there are probably plenty of people at your offices every day who are easily wearing $2000 on them and you would have no idea - take a Hugo Boss/Theory suit and a shirt, quality shoes, watch/jewellery, and a tote. None of that is necessarily flashy or tacky.
    • I don't know enough about that school to comment, sorry!
    • thank you! I like many of these points especially the business oriented and technological aspect. And between Ryerson and Windsor, which one are you leaning towards if you don't mind me asking? 
    • I’ll go.  I wrote at the KPU testing centre in Surrey B.C.    Pros - Don’t have to drive all the way into Van if you’re from farther east.    - Next to Surrey central if you need to hit the mall or something. You can knock 2 birds with one stone and get your passport renewed.    - Not an overwhelming amount of test takers.    - Lots of parking.    - Friendly and helpful staff.  - Large and well-lit rooms, lots of natural light. Large and comfortable desks.  - Right next to the Skytrain.    Cons - Right next to the skytrain.    - It’s in Surrey so there’s lots of sirens.    - Easy to fuck up and go to the main KPU campus if you’re stupid like I am.    - Probably in a bad location for anyone not based in Surrey. Having to drive 90 minutes for an 8:30 test time wasn’t my favourite.    Overall it was fine, I’d easily recommend it if it was the only option, or the closest one, as it was for me. I only wrote once on the second iteration of the electronic LSAT, so my experience might not be representative.    Cheers, P&S