Jump to content
Smorr53

1L / 2L Summer Jobs in the States ?

Recommended Posts

Thoughts and practicality of trying to work 1L/2L in the states ? How would one go about trying to do this ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pzabbythesecond I would like to go into either Corporate Law, Litigation or Space Law, so I guess ones that will compliment my resume for when I apply to jobs after law school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the states? What school are you at? Based on what you just told me, your best shot is to just hope you've done well enough to get hired in the American recruit.

Litigation is too broad to allow me or others to give you any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@pzabbythesecond

 

Sorry I'm a 0L so you will have to excuse my ignorance. I go to Calgary and have family in California and have always wanted to move there eventually. I plan on completing my JD in Canada and then doing a LLM at a law school in Cali.

 

What/ when is the american recruit ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if any California firms do a Canadian 2L recruit. I've never heard it mentioned here. The organized 2L recruit for NY firms is done at U of T, Osgoode and McGill.  

Without dual citizenship, you're going to face difficulty being able to work in California in anything other than a similar organized recruit where the firms deal with visas/immigration issues. 

Your best bet if you want to work in the U.S. is to attend a U.S. law school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I don't know if any California firms do a Canadian 2L recruit. I've never heard it mentioned here. The organized 2L recruit for NY firms is done at U of T, Osgoode and McGill.  

Without dual citizenship, you're going to face difficulty being able to work in California in anything other than a similar organized recruit where the firms deal with visas/immigration issues. 

Your best bet if you want to work in the U.S. is to attend a U.S. law school.

I understand that in order to write the California Bar you need one year of a formal legal education. That is why I plan on doing a LLM there. I also have contacts in Corporate, Space and Entertainment law that I plan to use to secure employment and hopefully a sponsorship. 

Maybe I'll look into the NY recruit to at least get some exposure to American Law if I get a job. Do you know how competitive the NY recruit is/ what stats are competitive to get recruited ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should do more research on all this. As of now, no offence, but you strike me as someone who's done the minimal amount of work and are expecting us to inform you on topics easily researchable on your own.

Do more research and come back with questions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I don't know if any California firms do a Canadian 2L recruit. I've never heard it mentioned here. The organized 2L recruit for NY firms is done at U of T, Osgoode and McGill.  

Without dual citizenship, you're going to face difficulty being able to work in California in anything other than a similar organized recruit where the firms deal with visas/immigration issues. 

Your best bet if you want to work in the U.S. is to attend a U.S. law school.

I think two firms are participating in the NY OCI resume collect, and they are based in California and looking to fill their California offices. So it does happen... but it is so rare. I definitely think it would be easier to go to law school in California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

You should do more research on all this. As of now, no offence, but you strike me as someone who's done the minimal amount of work and are expecting us to inform you on topics easily researchable on your own.

Do more research and come back with questions.

I hate doing someone's work for them, but it took me less than a minute to Google it; as an example of things OP should research before asking questions, and to avoid the risk of their doing an unnecessary LLM (at least, unnecessary if they get called in Canada or another US state like NY first):

"...These guidelines do not apply to attorneys who are already admitted to the active practice of law in a foreign country or in another U.S. jurisdiction and are in good standing. These attorneys are qualified to take the California Bar Examination without having to complete any additional legal education...." [emphasis added]

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requirements/Education/Legal-Education/Foreign-Education

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Smorr53 said:

I understand that in order to write the California Bar you need one year of a formal legal education. That is why I plan on doing a LLM there. I also have contacts in Corporate, Space and Entertainment law that I plan to use to secure employment and hopefully a sponsorship. 

Maybe I'll look into the NY recruit to at least get some exposure to American Law if I get a job. Do you know how competitive the NY recruit is/ what stats are competitive to get recruited ?

The NY firms only actively recruit at:

McGill (5-10 students per year)

Osgoode (5-10 students per year)

UofT (20-25 students per year, top ~30% of the class)

Maybe UBC?

So it'll be a long shot from Calgary, but hey you could throw your hat in the ring for the external resume drops and see what comes out of it. However, yes, I agree with @pzabbythesecond, you need to do more research on this.

 

1 minute ago, wtamow said:

I think two firms are participating in the NY OCI resume collect, and they are based in California and looking to fill their California offices. So it does happen... but it is so rare. I definitely think it would be easier to go to law school in California.

I have not seen any Califiornia firms on the OCI resume collect, although for some reason there's a Houston office of a V25 in there. Cooley (HQ in Cali) is part of the OCI collect but it's for their NY office.

Canadian JD's can't practice law in California right out of law school so it'd be strange that they are recruiting from Canada (but then again, same goes for Texas).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xdarkwhite said:

The NY firms only actively recruit at:

McGill (5-10 students per year)

Osgoode (5-10 students per year)

UofT (20-25 students per year, top ~30% of the class)

Maybe UBC?

So it'll be a long shot from Calgary, but hey you could throw your hat in the ring for the external resume drops and see what comes out of it. However, yes, I agree with @pzabbythesecond, you need to do more research on this.

 

I have not seen any Califiornia firms on the OCI resume collect, although for some reason there's a Houston office of a V25 in there. Cooley (HQ in Cali) is part of the OCI collect but it's for their NY office.

Canadian JD's can't practice law in California right out of law school so it'd be strange that they are recruiting from Canada (but then again, same goes for Texas).

Knobbe Martens is recruiting for all their offices, including the four in California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • Hey all, Was hoping for some input on this as I've seen contradictory things and could use some advice. I've lived in Ontario my whole life and for various reasons am going almost certainly going to want to practice in Ontario after I finish schooling. I am however sick and tired of this place, and would love to spend the three years of law school in the glorious place that is British Columbia. I'm 99% sure I have the grades/lsat to get into UBC, but is it advisable to go to school across the country from where I plan to practice? I luckily have some sort of network here in Ontario already (Friend's family has a close relationship with a firm that operates in the exact field of law I'll likely be practicing in) but I'd rather not rely on that and would like some input. Thanks in advance, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but I'm either a moron or searching things is kinda hard here.  .
    • Hey guys! so unfortunately I was rejected to the schools I applied to for sept 2019 and will be re-applying. I am wondering if in my personal statement I should mention that I applied last year and what I have been doing since my last application that makes me different. Is it worth mentioning or would it be a red flag for admissions to read a personal statement that says I’ve already been rejected prior. Any info on this will help! Thanks guys!
    • Hi everyone, Today I have been opening up/ getting ready to open applications in 6 Canadian Law Schools, UVIC being one of them. I don't know why I expected there to be a place where they would ask for a resume/CV from me. But so far I haven't really seen such places on the applications I have opened. Is this normal? If so, do schools typically just want me to include all extra curricular/ achievements in my personal statement?  Don't know anyone else applying for Law school so any input is appreciated.  If needed for reference I am applying to UVIC, UBC, U of A, U of C, TRU, U of Sask. 
    • Thanks so much for the reply! That's good to know.
    • An A average on a dud candidate that doesn’t fit with the firm isn’t getting hired over the B average student with an infectious personality whom everyone loves.  An A average will assist with tied applicants between that particular student and a B+ student or anyone below that. It’s fairly intuitive. No one will or can provide advice as to exactly how much emphasis is being placed on what at each firm. It’s a contextual decision based on the students grades, personality, and how that meshes with the particular firm.
×
×
  • Create New...