Smorr53

1L / 2L Summer Jobs in the States ?

Thoughts and practicality of trying to work 1L/2L in the states ? How would one go about trying to do this ? 

@pzabbythesecond I would like to go into either Corporate Law, Litigation or Space Law, so I guess ones that will compliment my resume for when I apply to jobs after law school

Why the states? What school are you at? Based on what you just told me, your best shot is to just hope you've done well enough to get hired in the American recruit.

Litigation is too broad to allow me or others to give you any advice.

@pzabbythesecond

Sorry I'm a 0L so you will have to excuse my ignorance. I go to Calgary and have family in California and have always wanted to move there eventually. I plan on completing my JD in Canada and then doing a LLM at a law school in Cali.

What/ when is the american recruit ? 

I don't know if any California firms do a Canadian 2L recruit. I've never heard it mentioned here. The organized 2L recruit for NY firms is done at U of T, Osgoode and McGill.  

Without dual citizenship, you're going to face difficulty being able to work in California in anything other than a similar organized recruit where the firms deal with visas/immigration issues. 

Your best bet if you want to work in the U.S. is to attend a U.S. law school.

2 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I don't know if any California firms do a Canadian 2L recruit. I've never heard it mentioned here. The organized 2L recruit for NY firms is done at U of T, Osgoode and McGill.  

Without dual citizenship, you're going to face difficulty being able to work in California in anything other than a similar organized recruit where the firms deal with visas/immigration issues. 

I understand that in order to write the California Bar you need one year of a formal legal education. That is why I plan on doing a LLM there. I also have contacts in Corporate, Space and Entertainment law that I plan to use to secure employment and hopefully a sponsorship. 

Maybe I'll look into the NY recruit to at least get some exposure to American Law if I get a job. Do you know how competitive the NY recruit is/ what stats are competitive to get recruited ?

You should do more research on all this. As of now, no offence, but you strike me as someone who's done the minimal amount of work and are expecting us to inform you on topics easily researchable on your own.

Do more research and come back with questions.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I think two firms are participating in the NY OCI resume collect, and they are based in California and looking to fill their California offices. So it does happen... but it is so rare. I definitely think it would be easier to go to law school in California.

19 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

You should do more research on all this. As of now, no offence, but you strike me as someone who's done the minimal amount of work and are expecting us to inform you on topics easily researchable on your own.

Do more research and come back with questions.

I hate doing someone's work for them, but it took me less than a minute to Google it; as an example of things OP should research before asking questions, and to avoid the risk of their doing an unnecessary LLM (at least, unnecessary if they get called in Canada or another US state like NY first):

"...These guidelines do not apply to attorneys who are already admitted to the active practice of law in a foreign country or in another U.S. jurisdiction and are in good standing. These attorneys are qualified to take the California Bar Examination without having to complete any additional legal education...." [emphasis added]

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requirements/Education/Legal-Education/Foreign-Education

20 minutes ago, Smorr53 said:

I understand that in order to write the California Bar you need one year of a formal legal education. That is why I plan on doing a LLM there. I also have contacts in Corporate, Space and Entertainment law that I plan to use to secure employment and hopefully a sponsorship. 

Maybe I'll look into the NY recruit to at least get some exposure to American Law if I get a job. Do you know how competitive the NY recruit is/ what stats are competitive to get recruited ?

The NY firms only actively recruit at:

McGill (5-10 students per year)

Osgoode (5-10 students per year)

UofT (20-25 students per year, top ~30% of the class)

Maybe UBC?

So it'll be a long shot from Calgary, but hey you could throw your hat in the ring for the external resume drops and see what comes out of it. However, yes, I agree with @pzabbythesecond, you need to do more research on this.

1 minute ago, wtamow said:

I think two firms are participating in the NY OCI resume collect, and they are based in California and looking to fill their California offices. So it does happen... but it is so rare. I definitely think it would be easier to go to law school in California.

I have not seen any Califiornia firms on the OCI resume collect, although for some reason there's a Houston office of a V25 in there. Cooley (HQ in Cali) is part of the OCI collect but it's for their NY office.

Canadian JD's can't practice law in California right out of law school so it'd be strange that they are recruiting from Canada (but then again, same goes for Texas).

5 minutes ago, xdarkwhite said:

The NY firms only actively recruit at:

McGill (5-10 students per year)

Osgoode (5-10 students per year)

UofT (20-25 students per year, top ~30% of the class)

Maybe UBC?

So it'll be a long shot from Calgary, but hey you could throw your hat in the ring for the external resume drops and see what comes out of it. However, yes, I agree with @pzabbythesecond, you need to do more research on this.

I have not seen any Califiornia firms on the OCI resume collect, although for some reason there's a Houston office of a V25 in there. Cooley (HQ in Cali) is part of the OCI collect but it's for their NY office.

Canadian JD's can't practice law in California right out of law school so it'd be strange that they are recruiting from Canada (but then again, same goes for Texas).

Knobbe Martens is recruiting for all their offices, including the four in California.