Sign in to follow this  
gammarays

Studentaid BC: did I mess this up?

Hi guys,

This was my first time applying for BC student loans and I think I may have jumped the gun on the application. I submitted it last week and was notified today that I will be getting $5.6k only. I was honestly expecting more so I'm trying to figure out if and where I may have messed up on the application.

The only weird thing I noticed was that on the assessment break down, Studentaid BC lists Tuition/Fees as $0. I'm not sure if this is a number that they generated through calculations on their end or received directly from the school. I know that the school (UA) filled out Appendix 3 for the application and confirmed the program and that I will be taking "100%" of the course load. However, I'm not registered for courses yet. Should I have waited until I'm registered in courses to apply for student loans? Was there something else I may have missed? If so, how do I fix or update my application now?

Thanks

Edit: I called Studentaid BC but received the message "we're sorry, the system is currently unavailable..." 

Edited by gammarays

I just received my assessment and I'm kinda dumb struck. I was offered 8.5K and my assessment says the same thing. I will be calling them tomorrow. I am also going to U of A. You shouldn't need to be enrolled in courses because I have applied before and I was not enrolled in undergrad courses at the time yet I have never received an assessment of $0 tuition and $0 books.

Not sure what's up with the funding this year but I'm definitely calling to find out what's going on here. I know I can cover costs with my LOC but in undergrad I'd get 10k in loans with 3k in grants. That is kinda where I expected to be, not at 8.5k.

Let me know if you get a hold of them, I'll do the same.

Edited by KJR
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply! That's really bizarre. I'll call UA student financial services tomorrow and see if they have any ideas from their end too. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gammarays said:

Edit: I called Studentaid BC but received the message "we're sorry, the system is currently unavailable..." 

Provincial Gov’t phone systems were malfunctioning today. Try again tomorrow, should be able to get through. 

Question for you guys, cause you seem more in the know about BC student aid.. I've been holding off on applying as I am in at one school (99% will be going) but am high on the wait-list for another option I am strongly considering. Do you know if it would make sense/be my only option to apply once I'm 100% sure about where I'm going? I'm assuming they ask the tuition amount, and the tuition for the two schools is substantially different. 

I'd hold off until your certain. Your application will need to specify what school you are applying to so they can assess the living, tuition, and book costs of the school you will be attending. I'm sure you could cancel one application and do another if you get in off the waitlist but it seems like a lot of extra work when you can just wait a little while.

• Like 1

Update on the original post incase this happens to anyone else.

The University of Alberta did not include tuition or book costs on the appendix they filled out for me and thus BC Student Aid assessed tuition and book costs as $0. 

37 minutes ago, KJR said:

I'd hold off until your certain. Your application will need to specify what school you are applying to so they can assess the living, tuition, and book costs of the school you will be attending. I'm sure you could cancel one application and do another if you get in off the waitlist but it seems like a lot of extra work when you can just wait a little while.

Thanks very much!! 

Update: talked to UA's student financial services and they stated that UA was not able to provide a tuition $ for Appendix 3 as I'm not formally registered in courses yet. They recommended two options:

A) contact the law faculty directly and get a letter stating the tuition amount I will be paying and send that to Studentaid BC for reassessment (have to fill out extra documentation) or

B) cancel my current student loan application and reapply in July once I'm registered in courses

They did also say that the time for reassessment may take longer than just cancelling and reapplying so I'm most likely going to go option B)

• Like 1