ssssssssid

Application Consultants

I had a consultant review my applications and resume and give me application strategies. I dont think I would have gotten in without it. 

1 hour ago, Yabbie said:

I had a consultant review my applications and resume and give me application strategies. I dont think I would have gotten in without it. 

Would you mind sharing your stats and which schools you applied to?

When in doubt, listen to the person who's reviewed, rejected, and accepted applicants rather than the individual applicant telling you what they did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yabbie said:

Waste of money.  Whether you get in is completely dominated by your stats (in fact, at some schools, it is determinative).  The consultant also has no control over your reference letters.  So, just out of curiosity, other than your personal statement, what could they possibly help you out with?  Also, what were his or her credentials to advise you about law school applications?  I also have no idea how you would possibly have any sort of confidence that you wouldn't have gotten in without the consultant.  How would you know this?

In short, I would very strongly advise students not to waste their money and time on these consultants, who I think are basically a scam.

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 5

I could see how a consultant could help if you were applying access and needed someone to help you make a compelling case and provide focus to your application. For most people it probably wouldn't help much if at all.

I had a 3.2 and a 162. I received an offer from TRU, and a waitlist from UofA. The consultant I used helped me craft killer a statement that brought out my best characteristics. I also learned which schools I would have a shot at, how and when to follow up with admissions, and explaining certain discrepancies etc  that admissions looks at. Was it worth roughly 300 dollars? Absolutely.

Edited by Yabbie

1 minute ago, Yabbie said:

I had a 3.2 and a 162. I received an offer from TRU, and a waitlist from UofA. The consultant I used helped me craft killer a statement that brought out my best characteristics. I also learned which schools I would have a shot at, how and when to follow up with admissions, and explaining certain discrepancies etc  that admissions looks at. Was it worth roughly 300 dollars? Absolutely.

You have no way of knowing the statement was "killer" other than you liked it.  How an admissions committee member reads a personal statement is pretty subjective.  You very well may have gotten in with whatever statement you would have written yourself.  As for which schools you would have a shot at, the consultant has no better knowledge of that information than you could research yourself.  As with many things we spend our money on, you can't really definitively say that it was worth it without knowing whether you would have gotten in without them.

8 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

You have no way of knowing the statement was "killer" other than you liked it.  How an admissions committee member reads a personal statement is pretty subjective.  You very well may have gotten in with whatever statement you would have written yourself.  As for which schools you would have a shot at, the consultant has no better knowledge of that information than you could research yourself.  As with many things we spend our money on, you can't really definitively say that it was worth it without knowing whether you would have gotten in without them.

No, I received positive feedback on my statement from exactly the right people. There is quite a bit of complexity in the admissions process: I know practicing lawyers who don't know that UofT and Osgoode are different schools, for example. I wouldn't have possibly known that Windsor Dual has easier entrance standards, unless I was previously advised. The other alternative is spend hours on this site, which I did anyway, but most people have lives. My recommendation? Shell out a few hundred bucks if you can afford it. Law School is a massive investment anyway, and it doesn't hurt to have a slight edge.

Edited by Yabbie
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yabbie said:

No, I received positive feedback on my statement from exactly the right people. There is quite a bit of complexity in the admissions process: I know practicing lawyers who don't know that UofT and Osgoode are different schools, for example. I wouldn't have possibly known that Windsor Dual has easier entrance standards, unless I was previously advised. The other alternative is spend hours on this site, which I did anyway, but most people have lives. My recommendation? Shell out a few hundred bucks if you can afford it. Law School is a massive investment anyway, and it doesn't hurt to have a slight edge.

I don't know who "exactly the right people" are, so I can't quibble with that.  You, however, can't disagree that you may have been admitted with a personal statement that you wrote yourself.  How could you not have known that the dual has easier standards?  That information is here and various other places online.  To be honest, if someone can't figure that out, then they lack basic research skills.  As for the bit about not having time to research these things yourself, for the vast majority of people who are probably working in low-ish paying summer jobs, I don't think that saving a bit of time is worth $300.  I strongly disagree that these consultants give you an edge that you couldn't get yourself with a little bit of effort.

Those practicing lawyers are idiots.

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

I don't know who "exactly the right people" are, so I can't quibble with that.  You, however, can't disagree that you may have been admitted with a personal statement that you wrote yourself.  How could you not have known that the dual has easier standards?  That information is here and various other places online.  To be honest, if someone can't figure that out, then they lack basic research skills.  As for the bit about not having time to research these things yourself, for the vast majority of people who are probably working in low-ish paying summer jobs, I don't think that saving a bit of time is worth $300.  I strongly disagree that these consultants give you an edge that you couldn't get yourself with a little bit of effort.

Those practicing lawyers are idiots.

I don't mean to beat a dying horse, but research is really a very basic skill that any potential law student should have prior to law school. It shouldn't take $300 for someone to tell someone which school may or may not be easier to get into as that is readily available on here. In fact, if you just post to ask here which schools you can get into based on your specific stats, plenty of people can give you a rough idea.

I personally don't know how lawyers not knowing the difference between UT and Oz shows that the admissions process is complex when something like that would take simple search. The best an applicant can do is send in an application and wait. It might be a bit more complicated than that, but I think only marginally.

Unless consultants are privy to the inner workings of the admissions process for every school, people are better off finding someone with good writing skills to edit the applicant's statement and paying them less than $300. The research part can be done on your own.

Edited by MelonMango
  • Like 2

I heard that Mr. Singer at Key Worldwide was really good.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The funny thing is the consultant probably got all of their information that they provide from here. "You dropped 150 grand on an education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library"

Edited by SlickRick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SlickRick said:

The funny thing is the consultant probably got all of their information that they provide from here. "You dropped 150 grand on an education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library"

How do ya like DEM apples?

Edited by KhalilMack
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, SlickRick said:

Now I'm looking around and wondering which one of you is a consultant...

5 minutes ago, wtamow said:

Now I'm looking around and wondering which one of you is a consultant...

Enter the Matrix

• Like 1

I would like to introduce you to the "Scientific Consultants for Academic Matching"

Scam will Guarantee* your acceptance to law school**

We use our extensively researched "Chances Calculator"*** then combine it with our vast knowledge of law school admittance requirements****  to separate you from your money before law schools get the chance.

Send money...

limited time offer.

*some limitations apply, must have 170 LSAT and above 4.0 gpa to qualify for Guarantee.

** no guarantee of which law school... a lot of very successful jailhouse lawyers out there you know

*** we read all the chances threads on Lawstudents.ca

**** also gleaned exclusively from Lawstudents.ca

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Yabbie said:

Ah Yabbie, you never fail to let us down with another outlandish post. You may as well have lit your $300 on fire. One could easily learn much of what they need to know re:admissions in a few hours browsing any schools admissions tab, and you even admit you spent this amount of time anyways. Moreover, any question you had for said "admissions consultant" you could have posted here and gotten the information you need; whatever question you had has likely already been answered ten times over.

As noted above, research is a basic skill and anyone applying to law school should possess the ability to interpret personal statement requirements and prepare something on there own. Perhaps the $300 would be worth it if the consultant had a direct line to Jesus himself, and obtained some invaluable insight that gets a below average applicant into U of T. Your situation also isnt overly compelling, you got into TRU and maybe one other school with a 162?  

Edited by AJD19
  • Haha 1

Isn't the U of A an index school? You can predict your admissions results there before you even submit an application.