lecavaleur

CBA Membership: Is it worth the fees?

Hi all, 

Lawyer in my 4th year of practice in Quebec. 

Since being called, I've passively considered CBA membership a few times, because I see that it is very widespread in the legal community. 

However, each time I consider it, I see the price tag and quickly change my mind! Currently in Quebec, it's $712.84 (taxes incl.) a year for regular membership.That's a hefty chunk of change for a magazine subscription and the opportunity to purchase CPD at a discount.

So, my question is whether or not it is worth it? Is there value somewhere that I'm just not seeing which justifies the high fees? 

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, lecavaleur said:

Hi all, 

Lawyer in my 4th year of practice in Quebec. 

Since being called, I've passively considered CBA membership a few times, because I see that it is very widespread in the legal community. 

However, each time I consider it, I see the price tag and quickly change my mind! Currently in Quebec, it's $712.84 (taxes incl.) a year for regular membership.That's a hefty chunk of change for a magazine subscription and the opportunity to purchase CPD at a discount.

So, my question is whether or not it is worth it? Is there value somewhere that I'm just not seeing which justifies the high fees? 

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.

If you’re paying out of pocket probably not. I’m all for networking but that’s a hefty price tag and there are always more affordable/free events. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been able to justify the fee personally. I would maybe attend one or two cba events per year. There are other organizations offering the same types of events, papers, and discussions for much less. 

I thought a law firm should pay for the membership, no? 

Depends on your practice area, I think. When I was doing a lot of private M&A and real estate, it was valuable. Now that I'm in-house doing something more narrow, it has very little value, and if my company didn't pay for it, I def would not keep my membership.