anonlawstudent1234

When to leave Toronto for Calgary?

I’m currently working at a seven sisters firm in Toronto for my 1L summer and I go to school in ON. I’m from Calgary, but when I left, I left thinking I wouldn’t return, and my goal was to get a job in big law in Toronto. Now that I’ve spent some time living in Toronto, I think I would eventually want to go back to Calgary, but I’m not sure when the best time to leave is. I am debating not accepting a hire-back offer if one is extended to me after my 1L summer and instead participating in the Calgary 2L recruit, but this scares me because there is no guarantee I would get a job in Calgary, and I really like my current firm. If I don’t participate in the recruit, the other option is to try to get to Calgary after articling or after 1-3 years of practice. I already feel like it is getting harder to leave Toronto - all of my friends are here and while I know a lot about the legal market here, I don’t know much about Calgary firms. However, even though I like it here now, I can’t see myself settling here for my career. How valuable do you think it is to gain Bay St experience before going back to Calgary, and if it is valuable, how long should I stay? How hard is it to establish a network after leaving? I know a lot of this depends on what I value, but any insight into timing would be much appreciated.

Do you want to work in TO for a few years before going back, or do you want to go back ASAP?

Thanks for your reply. I’m fine with working in TO for a couple years, but I am also happy to work in Calgary. I am not sure if it’s important to set up a network in Calgary now or if I can wait/how helpful Bay St. experience is.

Does your firm have a satellite office in Calgary?

You will be a much more desirable lateral candidate with a few years of work under your belt. Grind it out in TO and pop around to another market after. A lot of lateral moves happen in the 3-5 year call range.

Not sure which sister, but if she has an office in Calgary you can request a transfer. I know people who have done this         (But my friends did it the other way, 1L in Calgary and 2L in Toronto)

a few did have to re-interview during 2L OCIs but I understand it was more of a formality than anything else