Sign in to follow this  
vng2

Call to the Bar Apparel tights?

For the call to the bar ceremony: If you're wearing a skirt, do you wear pantyhose or tights? What's the protocol with a skirt? Are both acceptable? Does it have to be nude hose or can it be black? Could you wear black knee high socks? Do you wear socks on top of the hose? On the LSO website it said black socks but does that apply if you're wearing a skirt too? 

Edited by vng2

Chill. If you are wearing a skirt, black or nude hose would be fine. The idea is to look professional, that’s all. 

I wore black nylons, I think. But skin-tone (whatever that means for you) would also be fine. I wouldn't wear knee-high socks -- that would look off, to me. What do you picture someone in court in a skirt suit wearing with it? Do that. 

No knee highs. The socks requirement applies when you’re wearing pants only. As others have said, hose or tights are fine (skin tone or black).

No bare legs for the call. I’m in the camp of you shouldn’t bare leg it to court either, but there won’t be anyone checking there at least. They did check at the call (you may get lucky and they don’t for yours or they miss you, but last thing you want to be doing is running around looking for nylons right before because one of the facilitators has called you out on it).

5 hours ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

#1 - what the hell - why aren't you gowned for you bar call?

#2 - since when are bare legs inappropriate for court?

Of course I'm getting gowned, but I want to wear a skirt with it instead of trousers and so I wanted to know the protocol as nylons, tights, etc. part isn't published on the law society page for the apparel and I think it may be hot in the June call. 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:09 PM, Malicious Prosecutor said:

#1 - what the hell - why aren't you gowned for you bar call?

#2 - since when are bare legs inappropriate for court?

Regarding your second question, some people view it as fine to not wear them and others don’t. Often it’s a perception of formality; while not necessarily the most comfortable of attire, nylons or tights in my view look more professional and make the wearer look more put together. Others disagree. When I was called to the bar (not that long ago, 2014), they were indicated as required apparel for the call. That plus visually noticing the difference between female lawyers who wore nylons and those who went bare legged helped solidify my decision. I’m less strict about wearing them in office; if I don’t have clients coming in or I don’t have to go out for discoveries, etc, I probably won’t wear them in the office in the summer. But I always wear them to court. 

I’m less strict about wearing them in office; if I don’t have clients coming in or I don’t have to go out for discoveries, etc, I probably won’t wear them in the office in the summer. But I always wear them to court. 

This is my approach, as well, but I do sometimes wonder if I'm being old-fashioned and going without would be fine all the time? One of the reasons I do wear them sometimes is because shoes are more comfortable with them on, but a lot of the time the real reason I'm wearing them is I worry I'm too informal without. 

(This is a tangent from the original thread, and maybe I should take it to the women's workwear thread, instead, but I would be curious to hear the opinions of others on this board who wear skirt suits as to their feelings on nylons/tights.)

FWIW: I wore a skirt to my bar call last month with bare legs. Pretty sure no one noticed or cared. I very rarely wear pantyhose with skirts/dresses unless it's cold outside. Whether or not I have clients or I am gong to court don't factor in.

caveat: I don't practice in ON

1 hour ago, MissJE said:

FWIW: I wore a skirt to my bar call last month with bare legs. Pretty sure no one noticed or cared. I very rarely wear pantyhose with skirts/dresses unless it's cold outside. Whether or not I have clients or I am gong to court don't factor in.

caveat: I don't practice in ON

I have ghost-like white skin, often with bruises thanks to a rambunctious dog, so I always wear tights/nylons or pants. You're welcome.

1 hour ago, sarstan said:

I have ghost-like white skin, often with bruises thanks to a rambunctious dog, so I always wear tights/nylons or pants. You're welcome.

Thanks?

I just wore pants and avoided this whole issue. No socks, pantyhose or tights. So scandalous! 

If you're that concerned you can always call and ask them directly. 

Typically yes there's a place to change, but it's more of an open room from my recollection than private change space - most of the women in my Call came in wearing their bottoms and just changed into the Gown shirt in the change room.

I know off topic - but I saw this yesterday down-town and it bugged the heck out of me.

You can wear your court-shirt and vest out and about (i.e. walking to court or to the bar ceremony). Please - do not where your gown or your tabs outside when you're walking out and about.

Very faux-pas - tabs and robes are for in Court, not for gallivanting downtown when you're on lunch. 

(I'm couching this in 'on-topic' as it relates to the question about whether there is some place to change at the ceremony: you can go wearing your shirt and vest and carry your tabs and gown - once you're in the facility put those puppies on - no need for a change room - in my experience that's what a lot of lawyers do for Court - we walk down in our vests and shirts and put the gowns and tabs on once we get there). 

Edited by TheScientist101
  • Like 3