Yabbie

How competitive was the 2019 cycle?

Posted (edited)

Been following this board closely and it seems like its been an interesting cycle. With the information they received, does anyone care to comment on how competitive the cycle was at their respective schools?

I heard TRU has 3200 applicants for 150 spots, which was unprecedented. 

Edited by Yabbie
  • Like 2

Is that stat accurate? Because according to Osgoode admissions they received 2,700 applicants for 290 spots this cycle. Odd that TRU would have received that many more applicants. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

University of Toronto received more than 2,100 applicants for 205 spots this cycle. Western received over 2,000. Seems unlikely that TRU would receive that much more than the other schools. 

I'm getting my information from official (rejection) correspondence. 

Edited by penguinh
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Yabbie said:

Been following this board closely and it seems like its been an interesting cycle. With the information they received, does anyone care to comment on how competitive the cycle was at their respective schools?

I heard TRU has 3200 applicants for 150 spots, which was unprecedented. 

Keep in mind the yield rate of those accepted. The actual acceptance rate is likely much higher than the spots per applicants figure. 

Edited by gopz

21 hours ago, Mydream123 said:

I am so sorry about all of this guys. I have been rejected as well (was expecting it) but Leanne said this year it was extremely competitive - the most it has ever been! She told me with my stats, I would surprisingly would have got in last year. 

This year over 3200 people applied - so people feel great that you were on a waitlist. I have a great L2 but my LSAT's were horrible and she said in order to be considered I need a 155+. It is starting to get more competitive so just put in the work for the LSAT. 

For someone who has had better experiences with the LSAT - I am not giving up, if you trouble with anxiety - apply for accommodations which I what I have done. 

They are changing the policy for rewrites - so take advantage of that and rewrite before it is restricted. WORK HARD TO INCREASE YOUR LSAT!!!

Basing the information off this. At the same time, it seems UofA had a less than competitive season- with people with far lower stats getting in.

I can see TRU(or windsor or sask) having more applicants than UofT. These schools accept people with 3.3 and 156 kind of stats. If you accept that stats are curved, these kind of applications are probably a standard deviation away from the 3.9/167 applications you see at UofT. The less competitive schools probably receive more applications because there are exponentially more applicants with a realistic chance at those schools. 

• Like 3

Right, the applicants whose stats are competitive for UofT likely aren't applying to TRU. 

UBC's early admits had high stats as usual, but it seems like there hasn't been much, if any movement off the waitlist this year. 

Yup, its probably way harder for an average windsor applicant with 3.5/160 to get in than for an average Uoft applicant 3.9 and 167 to get into UofT. Just because the applicant pool is so much smaller in the latter. Higher Entrance Stats=More Selective may just be a commonly held fallacy.  

Official numbers of applicants are typically released once the cycle is complete.  

Keep in mind that the number of applicants doesn't necessarily reflect that the cycle is more, or less, competitive.

So is it just going to get worse from now on? I don't know what else I can do with a 3.7 CGPA and 155 LSAT, sure I can retake the LSAT and get to to a 158 but was that ever going to really make the difference with thousands of applicants each cycle. I literally got turned down from everywhere and i'm just waiting on Windsor, which after this cycle, i'm more than positive is a rejection. 

1 minute ago, SpaceLawyer said:

So is it just going to get worse from now on? I don't know what else I can do with a 3.7 CGPA and 155 LSAT, sure I can retake the LSAT and get to to a 158 but was that ever going to really make the difference with thousands of applicants each cycle. I literally got turned down from everywhere and i'm just waiting on Windsor, which after this cycle, i'm more than positive is a rejection. 

The difference between a 155 and 158 is not small. 155 is around the 64th percentile, with 158 being around the 74th percentile. That is thousands of test takers (and in that percentile, hundreds of actual applicants). 

In my opinion, it should make a fairly significant difference. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LegalArmada said:

The difference between a 155 and 158 is not small. 155 is around the 64th percentile, with 158 being around the 74th percentile. That is thousands of test takers (and in that percentile, hundreds of actual applicants). 

In my opinion, it should make a fairly significant difference. 

I mean it's a bit of an issue when people with significantly lower LSATs and GPAs have been getting acceptances. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

I mean it's a bit of an issue when people with significantly lower LSATs and GPAs have been getting acceptances. 

Okay. Maybe they have better ECs, references and personal statements? You can't dwell on people who get in with lower scores. There's nothing you can do about them except make your application better. Getting a higher LSAT is one way you can do that. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, LegalArmada said:

Okay. Maybe they have better ECs, references and personal statements? You can't dwell on people who get in with lower scores. There's nothing you can do about them except make your application better. Getting a higher LSAT is one way you can do that. 

After having both my parents die during my undergrad, keeping a 3.7 out of 4.0 GPA having a 4.0 Masters with two scholarships participating in every EC i could in university, and having 7 years of work experience. Yeah I'm a bit salty my 155 is apparently the issue. Especially when I applied in access.

Edited by SpaceLawyer
  • Sad 2

https://report.lsac.org/ThreeYearComparison.aspx

You can look at the LSAC three year comparison for total number of applicants/applications in Canada. Applicants are down 1.8% and applications down 4.9% relative to last year. 

I'm not sure why TRU would have a sudden influx of applicants. Was that information from an official source?

Hi guys,

I spoke to Leanne and she told me this, even on the last day of applications they had over 200 applications.

This year has been competitive she said applications doubled this year for TRU.

She said last year I would have gotten in and my LSAT scores were in the 140's and how it is impossible this year.

She said for next cycle I need to aim for 155+ 

Maybe next cycle will be less lol - fingers crossed!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I plan on doing my usual statistical analysis of the cycle (given the info on this forum and provided through the lawapplicants.ca site), at least with respect to Ontario schools, sometime in late July once the cycle has more or less concluded. I’ll let you all know if it appears to be more competitive this time around!

• Like 2

I think this year the schools have been more holistic. I've seen lots of people with great stats rejected while lower stats have been accepted. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Ryn said:

I plan on doing my usual statistical analysis of the cycle (given the info on this forum and provided through the lawapplicants.ca site), at least with respect to Ontario schools, sometime in late July once the cycle has more or less concluded. I’ll let you all know if it appears to be more competitive this time around!

Please include Western schools. Us Westerners don't appreciate Ontario-centrism(in politics or law school stats);)

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Yabbie said:

Please include Western schools. Us Westerners don't appreciate Ontario-centrism(in politics or law school stats);)

That's a hell of a lot more work I'd imagine.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:35 AM, Mydream123 said:

Hi guys,

I spoke to Leanne and she told me this, even on the last day of applications they had over 200 applications.

This year has been competitive she said applications doubled this year for TRU.

She said last year I would have gotten in and my LSAT scores were in the 140's and how it is impossible this year.

She said for next cycle I need to aim for 155+ 

Maybe next cycle will be less lol - fingers crossed!!

I couldnt imagine even applying with a score in the 140's 

• Like 3