Can any current 2Ls/3Ls at Oz give some insight into their schedules. How many days a week are you on campus? Do most/many students have 5 day schedules?

• Like 1

You pick 100% of your own classes in upper years so the schedule will be what you make of it. I can’t think of a single person who didn’t give themselves at least 1-2 days off. Almost no one gives them self a 5 day schedule unless they have a clinic or intensive that requires it 

• Like 1

You can check last year’s upper year schedule here by logging in:

https://ozdomapp1.osgoode.yorku.ca/myosgoode.nsf/jdschedules.xsp

I imagine professors, dates and times may change to some extent, but it will give you an idea of what your interested class schedule would have looked like for the past year (which could very well be similar for the upcoming year). Noteworthy, not a lot of core, “black-letter” law lectures are scheduled for Fridays. So, barring clinics/intensives or special interest seminars, it’s fairly safe to assume you could schedule yourself Monday-Thursday at minimum, and more realistically 3 days a week.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TrqTTs said:

I imagine professors, dates and times may change to some extent, but it will give you an idea of what your interested class schedule would have looked like for the past year (which could very well be similar for the upcoming year). Noteworthy, not a lot of core, “black-letter” law lectures are scheduled for Fridays. So, barring clinics/intensives or special interest seminars, it’s fairly safe to assume you could schedule yourself Monday-Thursday at minimum, and more realistically 3 days a week.

Extremely helpful. Thanks for that

2 hours ago, TrqTTs said:

Agreed. I would say the 3 day week was pretty standard. I have one insane friend do a 2 day week.  It that would have you in class all day. I could don’t it

my fall term I had class 2 days a week and winter 4 days a week in 3L. I know a lot of people try to build their schedules around lecture times etc. but I never did that - for the $$ you pay I took what I was interested in regardless of time of day and enjoyed my experience much more. with the subway now going to campus it wasn't such a big deal to commute, and I just made use of the library when I only had a couple hours of class in a day.

Posted (edited)

How many credits do people typically take in 2L? I was thinking of just doing around 24 just because I expect the 2L recruit to be very time consuming and stressful.

Edited by harveyspecter993

9 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

How many credits do people typically take in 2L? I was thinking of just doing around 24 just because I expect the 2L recruit to be very time consuming and stressful.

There’s a certain number of credits you have to have in order to graduate. There is also a semester limit on the number of credits you can take. So realistically you don’t have much wiggle room in any particular semester. The 2L recruit will take some time but it’s not, in my opinion, something that requires you to have a reduced schedule. In any event I don’t believe it will be possible simply with how the numbers work out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ryn said:

There’s a certain number of credits you have to have in order to graduate. There is also a semester limit on the number of credits you can take. So realistically you don’t have much wiggle room in any particular semester. The 2L recruit will take some time but it’s not, in my opinion, something that requires you to have a reduced schedule. In any event I don’t believe it will be possible simply with how the numbers work out. 

Yup. Agreed on this. DO NOT try to reduce the overall number of courses for the year. 

Most you can do is put both of your yearly 3 credit courses in the first semester so you have a smaller workload. But I do NOT recommend doing this, your second semester will be a jaunt through hell. 

Take a bird course like Trial Ad instead. It's really useful and fun but also not graded. 

You have to take between 14-17 credits per term. Depending on the credit load of each course that’s 4-5 courses. I agree with zinez. If you’re super worried you can take Trial Ad or Lawyer as Negotiator in the fall for 4 credits which is pass/fail. But ocis are not so intense that you need to manipulate your schedule to accommodate interviews. The bulk of the work is creating the applications and that’s done over summer. The actual in firm interviews are done over reading week. It’s not some insane process that you need to prepare all term for