Sign in to follow this  
JPCast

TRU vs Dalhousie

I am currently choosing between 2. I am hoping to work for big law in Calgary or Vancouver. I am wondering where, if need be, is more likely to be advantageous in terms of my goal?

Thanks in advance 

TRU would seem to fit that bill.  Not sure how big the difference in cost is?  You will find for TRU alums in BC and networking, OCIs and so forth will be easier.   If you have connections already and have been living in BC then go for a trip to the East Coast for three years if the tuition is lower.

Tuition difference is negligible. I dont have any connections to BC. However, Calgary would be my end goal.

I've got a few friends at TRU and they've told me while it's mainly focused on Vancouver and the interior of BC's legal market there are quite a few people taking part in the Calgary recruits. 

1 hour ago, JPCast said:

Tuition difference is negligible. I dont have any connections to BC. However, Calgary would be my end goal.

Dal is a better choice if Calgary is your end goal and you have no connections to BC, with the caveat that you don't mind the additional travel cost for potential interviews in 1L/2L. Dal has a significant alumni network in Calgary big law that is a big advantage.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more. 

Dal has a wide reach across the country since 50% of our students come from outside Atlantic Canada. I know several third years that are articling at the big firms in Calgary. Bennett Jones especially seems to like Dal students but we have students at all major Calgary firms. They definitely take the most from UofA or UofCalgary of course. Dal also has a  more established reputation in the legal community but I can't speak much to TRU. That's just my take on Dal from experience and from grads working in Calgary who went through Dal law. We probably have more students from Vancouver than Calgary so I would say even more representation there. I know a few students summering in Vancouver currently.