Lawguy767

Summaries/outlines/CANs

I am reentering practice and I need a quick refresher. Are there any sites where I could download summaries? Law school doesn't matter as long as they are recent. Looking for admin, constitutional and civil procedure.

This is a terrifying thread. Read Halsbury's or Hogg or another textbook. Don't rely on freaking law students' summaries and outlines of their law school courses FOR PRACTICE.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I'm  not....I'm looking to read them to get a general lay of the land from which i would do my own research and further study. These courses are taught by professors who cover topical/recent cases and issues, which is why I'd want to have a look at them. This would be a basic starting point and that's all 

Ffs get off your high horse and calm down.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lawguy767 said:

I'm  not....I'm looking to read them to get a general lay of the land from which i would do my own research and further study. These courses are taught by professors who cover topical/recent cases and issues, which is why I'd want to have a look at them. This would be a basic starting point and that's all 

Westlaw CLE will do a far better job at doing that for you. Supplement that with the leading cases, then textbooks by leading academics.

I don't trust student summaries for my final exams....

14 hours ago, Lawguy767 said:

That's literally what a textbook is for. There's literally no other discipline or situation where someone would ask for a student's notes to get the lay of the land in an area.

• Like 2

I mean, I have looked at my old notes that I had as a very preliminary look at research. I practice a very different kind of law than Rashabon and I agree that I'm a bit... horrified? that a lawyer would want access to law school notes to re-enter practice. At least pretend to try and look at Canlii Connects or reputable lawyer blogs for the quick refresher. There are also CLEs to address refreshers/introductions to areas of law.

I mean, one of our basic obligations is "competence to practice" and looking at a 10 page summary isn't giving you that.

Edited by artsydork
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, artsydork said:

I mean, I have looked at my old notes that I had as a very preliminary look at research. I practice a very different kind of law than Rashabon and I agree that I'm a bit... horrified? that a lawyer would want access to law school notes to re-enter practice. At least pretend to try and look at Canlii Connects or reputable lawyer blogs for the quick refresher. There are also CLEs to address refreshers/introductions to areas of law.

I mean, one of our basic obligations is "competence to practice" and looking at a 10 page summary isn't giving you that.

I review my old Civil Procedure notes from time to time as a general refresher on the rules. I find it helps to keep my memory fresh, however, if I have a live issue to research I’d go to the rules directly, then secondary sources and so forth. 

Old notes can help in a general sense as a refresher and help point you in the right direction, but obviously look to more modern relevant sources when working on a file. 

Ignore the arrogance on this thread - there’s a lot of it. Tune them out and do what’s best for you and your clients. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hqjet said:

I review my old Civil Procedure notes from time to time as a general refresher on the rules. I find it helps to keep my memory fresh, however, if I have a live issue to research I’d go to the rules directly, then secondary sources and so forth. 

Old notes can help in a general sense as a refresher and help point you in the right direction, but obviously look to more modern relevant sources when working on a file. 

Ignore the arrogance on this thread - there’s a lot of it. Tune them out and do what’s best for you and your clients. 

Just so that we're all on the same page:

Arrogance: having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Rasha's comment boils down to "Don't rely on summaries - use a textbook"
Pzabby is "Use Westlaw CLE"
Mine "Artsydork is super cool. Also, what Rasha said"
OP "Don't judge me!"
HQ "I look at notes as a start but then do actual research"

The only arrogance I see is a lawyer that thinks they don't need to have an actual functional knowledge of law. And summaries are dated - I graduated in 2013 - so much has changed in my practice since then. Then the issue of summaries/cans is that certain elements of a case may not have been researched. Plus the student could have actually had the issue wrong. 

Sources are important.
Edited by artsydork
  • Like 3

I've had occasions where I've been talking through legal issues and had a "I think I remember there was a case where the Court held x" moment. I then look through my notes and voila, there's the case. Obviously, I'm still reading the case, noting it up to make sure it's good law, and doing further research into relevant sources, but notes can be helpful to an extent, however limited. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, artsydork said:

Just so that we're all on the same page:

Arrogance: having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Rasha's comment boils down to "Don't rely on summaries - use a textbook"
Pzabby is "Use Westlaw CLE"
Mine "Artsydork is super cool. Also, what Rasha said"
OP "Don't judge me!"
HQ "I look at notes as a start but then do actual research"

The only arrogance I see is a lawyer that thinks they don't need to have an actual functional knowledge of law. And summaries are dated - I graduated in 2013 - so much has changed in my practice since then. Then the issue of summaries/cans is that certain elements of a case may not have been researched. Plus the student could have actually had the issue wrong. 

Sources are important.

Right and you’ve just nailed the problem on its head. It’s immediately shutting down the ideas of others as being wrong or terrible or backward and that x knows best. That’s what I’m seeing per your comment and the comment of others on this thread and this site in general. 

You’ll notice how I offered my own experience, suggested the idea of OP and offered an analysis as to its merits, rather than automatically shitting on him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hqjet said:

Right and you’ve just nailed the problem on its head. It’s immediately shutting down the ideas of others as being wrong or terrible or backward and that x knows best. That’s what I’m seeing per your comment and the comment of others on this thread and this site in general. 

You’ll notice how I offered my own experience, suggested the idea of OP and offered an analysis as to its merits, rather than automatically shitting on him. 

k