Msurlile

Still RFR June 2019

I'm sure I am not alone in this situation and I am losing my mind! Support group for those still waiting for ANY kind of news! What are your stats? Why do you think you are still RFR?

I guess I should give my own stats haha

CGPA: 3.4
LSAT: 151
EC: Very strong; Club head, Varsity, Music, Charity, Spent half my time doing activities unrelated to my program
LOR: Strong
Personal statement: Pretty proud of it
100% Bilingual

I know my grades are kind of sucky, but I'm confident with the rest of my profile. I also applied with extenuating circumstances which is probably also why this is taking so long :(

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Msurlile said:

I'm sure I am not alone in this situation and I am losing my mind! Support group for those still waiting for ANY kind of news! What are your stats? Why do you think you are still RFR?

Hi, I received this response from McGill on June 4:

We understand that you are anxious to receive a decision from the admissions committee and we are doing our best to process files as soon as possible. In all likelihood you will hear from us in the next couple weeks, and at the very latest by the end of June.

I am sorry I cannot be more specific.

Hang in there! We still have hope!

Edited by hopefulcanadian
Fixed Spacing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hopefulcanadian said:

Hi, I received this response from McGill on June 4:

Hang in there! We still have hope!

I guess time is the price to pay to be looked at as an actual human and not just a bunch of numbers! At this point, no news is good news as they say!

You're not alone. RFR 4 life.

CGPA: 3.8 / 4 undergrad - 3.5 / 4 grad diploma
LSAT: didn't take
EC: Lots of work experience since graduating from programs - was president of school club in undergrad
LOR: One strong, one unknown
Personal statement: Strong

Level 6 in French through the CSDM 

12 minutes ago, IndefinitePurgatory said:

You're not alone. RFR 4 life.

CGPA: 3.8 / 4 undergrad - 3.5 / 4 grad diploma
LSAT: didn't take
EC: Lots of work experience since graduating from programs - was president of school club in undergrad
LOR: One strong, one unknown
Personal statement: Strong

Level 6 in French through the CSDM 

Did you have to apply as a Mature candidate?

3 hours ago, IndefinitePurgatory said:

Yeah, you?

I applied as a Uni student since I'm still enrolled in undergrad studies, though I forget if Uni and Mature were lumped in the same category when applying 

Same here. I'm a CEGEP applicant, and I had my interview 3 weeks ago. I wonder if they might be waiting to access this last semester's grades? That would be... not great. I don't even know if that's a thing. I'm surprised we're not just waitlisted at this point.

1 hour ago, montrealchild said:

Same here. I'm a CEGEP applicant, and I had my interview 3 weeks ago. I wonder if they might be waiting to access this last semester's grades? That would be... not great. I don't even know if that's a thing. I'm surprised we're not just waitlisted at this point.

They don't take into account winter grades (and it would be unfair to applicants who have already been rejected). Beyond CEGEP, you have to upload your transcripts yourself.

hang in there! I got accepted last year on June 12th, and I have other friends who got accepted throughout the summer. You guys should be thrilled you made it so far - it genuinely means that are considering you! good luck to all!

(p.s - if I had to give any advice at this stage, it is that you should write a LOCI! - that is, if you got waitlisted. I got admitted almost immediately after. But this is my experience so I take it with a grain of salt!) 

(p.p.s someone wrote above that they emailed the admissions committee to ask when they would receive a response - I don't think this is absolutely necessary as they are super aware of your situation! Bugging them won't make them make a decision faster, I don't think!) 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if ready for review means that they have simply not even looked at our application yet? Or has it been looked at and they are in the process of deciding?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a1234 said:

Does anyone know if ready for review means that they have simply not even looked at our application yet? Or has it been looked at and they are in the process of deciding?

No no, it is being reviewed don't worry

1 hour ago, a1234 said:

1 hour ago, Msurlile said:

No no, it is being reviewed don't worry

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the application hadn't even been opened yet, and that once it had, the status would change to 'under review.' 

I'm also concerned because I applied as a mature student - which I thought would necessitate an in person interview (as others have said they've had) if I was under consideration, but that hasn't been scheduled yet. 

22 minutes ago, IndefinitePurgatory said:

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the application hadn't even been opened yet, and that once it had, the status would change to 'under review.' 

My application went immediately from RFR to Accepted, so I don't think there is an "Under Review" stage, but it might be different for students applying in different categories (I had applied as a university entrant). So I believe that RFR indicates that they have been/are reviewing your file and just have not yet made a firm decision.

23 minutes ago, IndefinitePurgatory said:

I'm also concerned because I applied as a mature student - which I thought would necessitate an in person interview (as others have said they've had) if I was under consideration, but that hasn't been scheduled yet. 

As for this, I was under the impression that the only category of students who are obligated to be interviewed are CEGEP applicants; otherwise, I believe that the university only asks for an interview if they require further information/want a better idea of your profile and who you are. (Although I am not entirely sure and may be wrong about this.)   

1 hour ago, IndefinitePurgatory said:

From their website:

What do "items outstanding", and "ready for review" mean on Minerva?

"Items outstanding" means that your file is incomplete. You are responsible for verifying which documents are missing. The Admissions office will update the status of your application as and when each document is received.

"Ready for review" means that your file is complete and ready for review. The status of your application will remain "Ready for review" until a final decision is made by the Assistant Dean.

Just now, montrealchild said:

Still RFR. I am losing my mind. I really hope I don't have to wait another weekend for some closure.

Hopefully we should be getting some news by Friday. I assume they would want to wrap things up before the St-Jean weekend and the start of vacation season, at least for the initial decisions process not counting the waitlist 😕

Me, every time I go check Minerva only to see that Ready for Review status still goin strong 😂😭

547.jpg