Karenkat

Logistics for first year

Hello! 

I have some questions regarding first year and USask things.

Parking 

What’s the situation? Do most students drive, bus, walk ? Is there even enough parking on campus? 

Registration

So I know we get assigned sections but when do I get a student number or access to paws? Is it not till August? 

Student lounge 

Is there a student area or lounge? I’m coming from Uregina Business where we have a nice lounge with tables, a fridge, storage, etc. Is there something like that? 

Lockers

Is there lockers to rent in the law building (so I don’t have to carry around my winter coat and stuff). How does a person get one and is it even worth it ? 

Classes.

Any words of advice for classes, profs or anything else. This is like a catch all for any words of Wisdom.

Parking: A lot of students bus. There is parking, but the lots are far away and who gets passes is decided on a lotto system. It’s more expensive than the U of R and personally, I prefer the bus to get to the College. 

Registration: Yes, you will get access sometime in August as well as the orientation information. 

Student lounge: We have the lawby with foosball, tables, and chairs. It’s not massive, but it has microwaves and is a nice enough space. 

Lockers: Yes, there are lockers to rent for LSA members. That’ll be dealt with first day when you buy your membership. 

Classes: Go to class, stay on top of readings, work on your CANs throughout the semester, make sure you ask questions/go to office hours, and most importantly have fun! 

• Thanks 1

Hey, thanks for doing this! What was your class schedule like (generally speaking) for 1L? Were you in class all day M-F, half-days, depends on the day? Trying to get a feel for how much time we'll actually be sitting in classes.

38 minutes ago, lawstudsask said:

Hey, thanks for doing this! What was your class schedule like (generally speaking) for 1L? Were you in class all day M-F, half-days, depends on the day? Trying to get a feel for how much time we'll actually be sitting in classes.

You can see last year's 1L fall schedule here: https://law.usask.ca/documents/students/jd/2018-2019-first-year-T1-timetable.pdf

• Like 1

Just a quick question, is there College of Law merch available? Such as hoodies and backpacks etc., I need to to buy a new backpack but I'll hold out if I can get a College of Law one.a

10 hours ago, Sandman96s said:

Just a quick question, is there College of Law merch available? Such as hoodies and backpacks etc., I need to to buy a new backpack but I'll hold out if I can get a College of Law one.a

Nothing through the bookstore. The LSA usually does a clothing order that arrived around December last year, but backpacks weren’t an option (not to say that they wouldn’t be an option this year because I honestly don’t know). 

• Like 1

Quick question from me as well, I've looked at our schedule and we're pretty darn busy every day. When exactly does one eat lunch? Can we eat in class? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Dill3377 said:

Quick question from me as well, I've looked at our schedule and we're pretty darn busy every day. When exactly does one eat lunch? Can we eat in class? Thanks!

The first year class schedule isn’t released yet so I assume it will be similar to last year. Last year, first years didn’t have classes over the noon hour and I assume it will be the same again. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, lawstudsask said:

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, Dill3377 said:

The 2019-2020 1L Schedule was just released this week. 

Fall/Term 1: https://law.usask.ca/documents/students/jd/2019-20-First-Year_T1.pdf

Winter/Term 2: https://law.usask.ca/documents/students/jd/2019-20-First-Year_T2.pdf

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dill3377 said:

Just saw this, appreciated! Too bad we don't get to eat lunch...lol

You have a break from 11:15 to 1 most days. Guest speakers are not every week, and usually involve free pizza. Tutorials are broken into even smaller groups and you'll have 1-2 of them for an hour on Wednesdays at varying times (meaning you'll often get a lunch break). Not to mention that you're done at 12:30 on Wednesdays. The Kway tutorials are new, but they are certainly not every week and that is a range of times where everyone's tutorial is scheduled. 

Edited by Bolieve
I'm dumb and spelling is hard.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bolieve said:

You have a break from 11:15 to 1 most days. Guest speakers are not every week, and usually involve free pizza. Tutorials are broken into even smaller groups and you'll have 1-2 of them for an hour on Wednesdays at varying times (meaning you'll often get a lunch break). Not to mention that you're done at 12:30 on Wednesdays. The Kway tutorials are new, but they are certainly not every week and that is a range of times where everyone's tutorial is scheduled. 

Ah I see, I figured maybe not everything was mandatory, but didn't want to presume. Expect the worst, hope for the best, sort of situation. Thanks again!

Quick question, now that the orientation package is posted, when will we be assigned into our sections? Just a little worried since I still haven't registered for any classes yet.

23 minutes ago, Sandman96s said:

Quick question, now that the orientation package is posted, when will we be assigned into our sections? Just a little worried since I still haven't registered for any classes yet.

I think the college automatically registers 1st year students. Seeing as how it seems usask does things relatively late, I'd guess we'll find out our sections during orientation. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cigarettes said:

I think the college automatically registers 1st year students. Seeing as how it seems usask does things relatively late, I'd guess we'll find out our sections during orientation. 

This is correct. First day of orientation you'll pick up a personalized package with your personal orientation schedule and you'll find out about your sections at that point. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 9:39 AM, cigarettes said:

When I called Doreen to ask about confirmation of enrolment (I need it for loans) she said they were finalizing the schedule this week so we should get our assigned classes next week 🤞 .I hope that helps ease worries.  Now I’m starting to worry that I understood the conversation wrong though. 

Edited by Karenkat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Karenkat said:

When I called Doreen to ask about confirmation of enrolment (I need it for loans) she said they were finalizing the schedule this week so we should get our assigned classes next week 🤞 .I hope that helps ease worries.  Now I’m starting to worry that I understood the conversation wrong though. 

No, you're correct. You will receive an email with your section/professors before the first day of orientation. You may also want to check your confirmation of enrollment on the Registration page of PAWS because it should show you as a first year already even though you haven't "formally registered" for classes. That's what happened for me when I was in 1L, and I was able to get my loan before classes started. 

5 hours ago, mickey21 said:

No, you're correct. You will receive an email with your section/professors before the first day of orientation. You may also want to check your confirmation of enrollment on the Registration page of PAWS because it should show you as a first year already even though you haven't "formally registered" for classes. That's what happened for me when I was in 1L, and I was able to get my loan before classes started. 

PAWS must hate me then, all I get is an error page! I will take another look in a week or so. Thank you

I see people starting to post 1L textbooks for sale on Facebook is it worth it to get used textbooks or is it easier to get them through the bookstore. I’m mainly worried about getting the right edition, do they change often?