AJD19

U of A vs USask

I have already accepted my offer to U of A, and am fairly confident U of A is the better choice for numerous reasons, but just thought id see what others thought. Im from BC and have no preference where I live/practice. 

18 hours ago, AJD19 said:

I have already accepted my offer to U of A, and am fairly confident U of A is the better choice for numerous reasons, but just thought id see what others thought. Im from BC and have no preference where I live/practice. 

Both are fine.  U of S might wind up being cheaper, both in tuition and cost of living.  But there's no wrong call here, and nothing obviously preferring one school over another given what you say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

Both are fine.  U of S might wind up being cheaper, both in tuition and cost of living.  But there's no wrong call here, and nothing obviously preferring one school over another given what you say.

Do you think it would be advantageous, career wise, to study in Alberta as it undoubtedly has a better legal market?

Depends on what your goals are. USask would be cheaper, both for living expenses and tuition. U of A would be better if your goal was to practice in Alberta, but it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I also wouldn't say Alberta has an undoubtedly better legal market. There is plenty of demand for lawyers in Saskatchewan, depending on where your interests lie.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AJD19 said:

Do you think it would be advantageous, career wise, to study in Alberta as it undoubtedly has a better legal market?

U of A is undoubtedly better if you want to wind up practicing in Edmonton.  For Alberta as a whole U Sask is just as good.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Statements about the real quality of foreign legal education may come down to opinion. I mean, there's probably an objective truth to that somewhere, but we'd need to consult education experts and academics to get at that. Statements about the results of foreign legal education in the Canadian job market are not matters of opinion. This is a question of observable reality. And that's what almost everyone cares about and ends up asking. "If I go to this school, and come back to Canada, will I be able to find a job?" On that basis, it's a bad idea - or at very least, it's a plan of last resort. To put it another way, it may come down to opinion, but isn't that what the employment marketplace is? When you're trying to get someone to hire you, their opinion about whether you're the best candidate for the job is all that matters. The sum of all opinions of all employers is what determines the outcome. There's no question that individual situations will vary. There's no doubt at all in my mind that in specific examples, there must be employers on the market who would take a foreign grad over a domestic grad - perhaps alumni from the same schools, or someone who for whatever reason is inexplicably more impressed by Leicester than by U of T. But overall the trends are very clear, and are observable by all lawyers working in the field. And that's exactly why a consensus has emerged here. Take all of that for what you will. No one is saying you have to like it, or even agree. But it's true information from lawyers who are paying attention.
    • I agree the Gandhi example doesn't necessarily prove anything and I agree with you that going to law school in the UK is stupid as a Canadian, unless you go to a top school and plan to start working in the UK and transfer. However, as someone who has lived in London for 7 years and having gone to law school there (not UCL) - you are completely wrong about relative rankings. Comparing UCL to Leicester is laughable, Magic Circle firms recruit more from UCL than any other university including Oxbridge. In fact UCL is ranked above Oxford and on par with Cambridge with the additional advantage of being directly in the heart of London bloomsbury for the entirety of law school. Like I said I agree it's stupid to go to a UK law school and come back to Canada, I ended up doing that although mostly due to unforeseen events. However, going to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE and coming back to Canada is not really comparable in terms of stupidity to going to Leicester. 
    • This is a weird theory and I don’t agree with it. Mixing up homonyms and spelling errors are about the same level of error, and one certainly isn’t “way worse” than the other.  OP, I wouldn’t worry about it. Everyone makes errors when they’re writing. It’s preferable to avoid them, but not worth stressing about ones you’ve already sent out into the world. 
    • Where are you getting 2019 stats from?