Born2Law

Wedding Planning While Articling

Does anyone have any experience with wedding planning while Articling? I recently got engaged (very exciting), and thinking about getting married next summer, but I dont know if I'll be able to handle planning while trying to Article. Any advice or anecdotes?

Sooooo,

Not trying to get gender-normative on ya here.... but

Kinda depends if you are the planner or the plannee if you get what I am saying.

Lots of folks around here have done a great deal of things during law school and articling. I myself have two kids, both of which were born during my schooling. While you should strive to focus your attention on articling, that doesn't mean you can't do other things.

As well, from my experience, planning a wedding is not that much work. We had our wedding in a different city, and even then, it didn't take up that much extra time. Lists help a great deal; know what you need to plan and when you need to plan it. Honestly, you'll be fine

16 minutes ago, Rumpy said:

Sooooo,

Not trying to get gender-normative on ya here.... but

Kinda depends if you are the planner or the plannee if you get what I am saying.

Hahaha, definitely the planner in the relationship. 

7 minutes ago, goalie said:

As well, from my experience, planning a wedding is not that much work. We had our wedding in a different city, and even then, it didn't take up that much extra time. Lists help a great deal; know what you need to plan and when you need to plan it. Honestly, you'll be fine

Ok that's so reassuring. Everything has kind of been a whirlwind, and every wedding website makes it seem like the world's largest ordeal!

50 minutes ago, Born2Law said:

Ok that's so reassuring. Everything has kind of been a whirlwind, and every wedding website makes it seem like the world's largest ordeal!

Of course they do. That way they get to charge you thousands of dollars for the pleasure of doing it for you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Planning a wedding does not need to be difficult, time consuming, or horrendously expensive. Certain things can take up larger chunks of time (like dress shopping and visiting venues) but honestly, people make it out to be a way bigger typing than it needs to/should be. And if you’re dead set on a big to do because that’s your thing, just get a wedding planner.

6 hours ago, Born2Law said:

If you were the groom I’d say stay away. It’s the brides day. Just make sure you’re happy with the food and music. 

As the bride it’s a totally different beast. Considering getting a wedding planner who will help you throughout the process, be there the day of, help with the negotiations and so forth. 

Hire a wedding planner. You won’t regret it. Keeps both of you happy and (relatively) stress-free.

• Like 1

Honestly I am very happy I’m not paying for a planner. Planning a wedding is like doing a very simple deal in a very long time frame - not pleasant, but certainly doable.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hqjet said:

If you were the groom I’d say stay away. It’s the brides day. Just make sure you’re happy with the food and music. 

As the bride it’s a totally different beast. Considering getting a wedding planner who will help you throughout the process, be there the day of, help with the negotiations and so forth. 

No. It's both their day. 

• Like 8

If you'll be articling in the same city, it won't be a problem.  And, of course, it's both their day! 

I agree with Hegdis. Hire a planner. Find one who comes recommended by people you know and who has various options for the level of involvement. You can decide on having them from the beginning and helping with venue viewing and choice, through all decision-making, and up to and including the day of, or just assistance on the day of which truly is invaluable. They will deal with making sure all vendors have arrived in a timely manner and are doing what they're supposed to do. They check catering options, and special meals for those who need them. They make sure the music is ready, that the guests have water or fans if it's an outdoor wedding and it's a warm day, that the signature cocktails are ready for a toast, really everything that needs to be overseen on the day, including getting everything packed up at the end of the afternoon/evening when you are leaving the venue. Oh, and they can also provide transportation home for those who need it. The advice, cost savings, and assistance on the day of the wedding are all worth every penny you'll pay. It doesn't matter whether you're having an intimate gathering or a large affair with everyone your family ever met, having the assistance of a professional will ease the stress and make your day special.  And it won't cost you 'thousands of dollars'.

Congratulations! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to let that one go. My comment was just aimed at being wary of advertising.

It's your special day. Only you know how complex you want it to be, how much money you want to spend on it, etc. Have fun :)

13 hours ago, Hqjet said:

How very heteronormative of you. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

How very heteronormative of you. 

Hetereonormative?

18 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Honestly I am very happy I’m not paying for a planner. Planning a wedding is like doing a very simple deal in a very long time frame - not pleasant, but certainly doable.

Did you use any websites or apps that you can recommend?

5 minutes ago, Born2Law said:

Did you use any websites or apps that you can recommend?

Nope. My wedding is gonna be in Europe, so we did all of this from a distance and presumably our resources wouldn’t help you much. Also, she’s not a great project manager or budgeter, so most of this fell to my shoulders. Still I would say it’s not an exceptionally tough task - just a very slow motion small-ticket transaction. 

• Like 1

Just don't get married. My grandmother thinks I'm going to hell, but everyone else has stopped asking when we're planning on getting married. Even my aunts don't inspect her finger for a ring every time they see us any more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

Just don't get married. My grandmother thinks I'm going to hell, but everyone else has stopped asking when we're planning on getting married. Even my aunts don't inspect her finger for a ring every time they see us any more.

This is the correct answer.