just checked today and turns out that Alberta student aid's 2019 application is open now! 

if you secured an LOC it might be more beneficial to take out a govt loan so you don't pay interest on your balance during school rather than spending money on the LOC. 

cheers

Do I apply with Alberta student loan even if I'm going to BC?

10 hours ago, JPCast said:

that’s a good question. When I moved to Alberta from BC for undergrad, my first year of undergrad I had to apply using BC student aid. definitely ask one of their people if that policy has changed 

I am fairly certain that you apply to the province you are currently a resident of. I live in BC and will be attending U of A so I have to apply for student aid in BC. If you live in a province for 12 months you are considered a resident of that province. 

I am fairly certain this holds for other provinces as well but you should ask someone at student aid to be sure.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JPCast said:

Every provincial student loan program should have something called "residency requirements"

https://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/eligibility/

Residency for Independent Students

• Alberta is the province in which you have most recently lived for 12 consecutive months while not a full time post-secondary student, or
  • You have never lived in any other Canadian province for 12 consecutive months and are attending a post-secondary school in Alberta

Residency for Dependent Students

• At least one of your parents must live in Alberta

Basically you determine whether you're a dependent student or independent student and then see if you meet the criteria. For independent students the criteria is usually the last province you lived in for 12 consecutive months without being a full-time student. For dependent students it depends on where you parents live. 

23 hours ago, bigfudge2017 said:

just checked today and turns out that Alberta student aid's 2019 application is open now! 

if you secured an LOC it might be more beneficial to take out a govt loan so you don't pay interest on your balance during school rather than spending money on the LOC. 

cheers

The max loan that one is eligible for per year for law school is $22,500 ( https://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/loan-limits/annual-loan-limits/) so it won't necessarily cover everything.

After tuition (roughly $13,500), you're left with around $9000 to spread out over eight months, and that's IF they approve you for the maximum amount.

IMO it's definitely worth going for a government loan first but unless you live at home or otherwise don't have too much in the way of living expenses you're going to need both the LOC/a part time job and the government loan.

• Like 1

The max loan that one is eligible for per year for law school is $22,500 ( https://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/loan-limits/annual-loan-limits/) so it won't necessarily cover everything

From what I've been told BC student aid offers less than this - around 16k. So there is no way you can live without a LOC - assuming independence from one's parents. I am hoping BC offers closer to the level of funding Alberta offers but I guess I will find out in the next few months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJR said:

From what I've been told BC student aid offers less than this - around 16k. So there is no way you can live without a LOC - assuming independence from one's parents. I am hoping BC offers closer to the level of funding Alberta offers but I guess I will find out in the next few months.

Yikes, that's basically your tuition and maybe a couple months' rent! I'm hoping they offer more, too, for your sake.

13 hours ago, RGoodfellow said:

The max loan that one is eligible for per year for law school is $22,500 ( https://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/loan-limits/annual-loan-limits/) so it won't necessarily cover everything.

After tuition (roughly $13,500), you're left with around $9000 to spread out over eight months, and that's IF they approve you for the maximum amount.

IMO it's definitely worth going for a government loan first but unless you live at home or otherwise don't have too much in the way of living expenses you're going to need both the LOC/a part time job and the government loan.

Absolutely I agree you’ll need both, but ultimately it’s still better to have as less as you can sitting on your LOC since they’ll add the interest to your balance monthly.  

My application was approved yesterday for 16k so if I was living on my own I would definitely need to dip into my LOC. 

How much do 1L textbooks typically come out to be in total? Couple grand? 

17 hours ago, bigfudge2017 said:

Absolutely I agree you’ll need both, but ultimately it’s still better to have as less as you can sitting on your LOC since they’ll add the interest to your balance monthly.  

My application was approved yesterday for 16k so if I was living on my own I would definitely need to dip into my LOC. 

How much do 1L textbooks typically come out to be in total? Couple grand? 

In my experience, you are able to get textbooks for *much* less than the estimated price by buying them used from upper years. I think I spent ~400-500 total for 1L.