Sign in to follow this  
StuOttYa

2019 Ontario bar exams

Failed the barrister and passed solicitor.

Very disappointed right now...studied my ass off...didn't have time issues on the exam.

I found the exams tough, but I either knew the answers or made educated guesses...I didn't make any blind guesses.

Now I'm working long hours and worried how I will study all this again. 

pass / pass - felt good about both exams (except real estate, like c'mon what was that!?) and had to randomly answer the last 10 or so q's in the first half of the barrister.

anyone know anything about how exams are scored as I've heard several different rumours about it.

There definitely has to be a higher pass required for the June exam. I was confident in about 80% of my answers and still failed the exam. 

Somehow passed both exams. I was sure I failed barrister because I ran out of time at the end and had to blindly guess 20 questions. I was so scared that I was actually drafting what to tell my articling firm about failing. I would say what probably saved me is that I looked up every single question using the index apart from those. 

Tips for people who re-take or who are taking it for the first time: start studying as soon as you get the materials, buy the index, do all the practice tests you can find, use a time card on the exam. 

The second that email came, my heart sank.

Passed both.

Doing practice tests was the best thing for me. Seriously. To anyone still studying, do some practice tests. Emond was really good for solicitor, and OLE was good for Barrister

16 minutes ago, InsertPseudonymHere said:

The second that email came, my heart sank.

Passed both.

Doing practice tests was the best thing for me. Seriously. To anyone still studying, do some practice tests. Emond was really good for solicitor, and OLE was good for Barrister

I thought OLE was a mess - questions were mostly too easy imo. I thought Emond used unnecessarily wordy questions. There weren't any double negative questions on the real thing. That being said, the value of knowing how to navigate your TOC and index cannot be overstated. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, grishamlaw said:

I thought OLE was a mess - questions were mostly too easy imo. I thought Emond used unnecessarily wordy questions. There weren't any double negative questions on the real thing. That being said, the value of knowing how to navigate your TOC and index cannot be overstated. 

Yeah I mean the questions were not always representative of the actual exam. However even those wacky double negative questions helped provide a higher level understanding of the index (which as you said is very important) 

Edited by InsertPseudonymHere

If you do the work, you can't fail

All of us who made it to law school and passed has the requisite intelligence and common sense to do this. Believe in yourself. 

I think my biggest tip for future students is to study your indices. On the train on the way to the exam I decided maybe I would colour code my indices to match my materials (very ambitious of me to think this could be accomplished in a few hours). I only got like halfway through one index, however, taking the time to read all of the key terms in the index was really useful. So, if I had to do the exams again, I would set aside time to do that.

Passed both. I honestly feel like I won a weird lottery. It is impossible to know how to prepare for this exam and each of us prays what we did will suffice. My heart goes out to anyone who failed one or both of the exams. I know you must feel demoralized and defeated right now, but you shouldn't. You are way ahead in preparing to write it again, and LSO reports that 95% of people pass both within 3 sittings. You got this and we're all cheering you on <3.

• Like 6

Writing in March. I need to buy practice tests and indices. What is the consensus on the best ones out of Edmond, OBEC, OLE and LexPD? Help!

On 11/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, Gleery said:

November solicitors. Thoughts? Feelings?

I am extremely anxious about Nov exam results. Any thoughts on when to expect the results to be announced?  

3 hours ago, Raha said:

I am extremely anxious about Nov exam results. Any thoughts on when to expect the results to be announced?  

between dec 10-20. based on the last 5  years it came out between this time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brokendoor said:

betweendec 10-20. based on the last 5  years it came out between this time. 

Thanks a lot. Then, lets hope for an early Christmas's gift.  😍

On 7/25/2019 at 7:19 AM, CoffeeandLaw said:

I think my biggest tip for future students is to study your indices. On the train on the way to the exam I decided maybe I would colour code my indices to match my materials (very ambitious of me to think this could be accomplished in a few hours). I only got like halfway through one index, however, taking the time to read all of the key terms in the index was really useful. So, if I had to do the exams again, I would set aside time to do that.

hey can you let me know what the index is, and where to find it? Is that what we create or buy somewhere? I just got my materials 

12 hours ago, Lawschoolia2018 said:

hey can you let me know what the index is, and where to find it? Is that what we create or buy somewhere? I just got my materials 

Check the articling students forum. Last year a big group of mostly U of T students teamed up to make indices, and generously shared them (with a request users make a donation to one of a handful of recommended charities). That's what I used, and I found them effective. I believe they intend to do the same this year.