StuOttYa

2019 Ontario bar exams

2 hours ago, chezjackie said:

Ugh anyone else having horrible thoughts thinking they failed the barrister? When do the results come out, and are there any tell-tale signs to know whether you failed? What are some speculations about the passing rate/grade? 

Everyone is having those thoughts, you aren't alone! results come out 6 weeks after solicitors.

• Like 2

RANT:

I'm terrified for the solicitor exam. I thought the bar was the easier of the two and I'm really unsure if I passed or failed that one. I haven't taken solicitor-type courses other than business organizations, employment, and real estate, so I don't have any of the foundational knowledge I relied on to answer questions in the bar. I don't know how I'll keep the required pace for the solicitors exam. 

/RANT.

17 hours ago, StuOttYa said:

RANT:

I'm terrified for the solicitor exam. I thought the bar was the easier of the two and I'm really unsure if I passed or failed that one. I haven't taken solicitor-type courses other than business organizations, employment, and real estate, so I don't have any of the foundational knowledge I relied on to answer questions in the bar. I don't know how I'll keep the required pace for the solicitors exam. 

/RANT.

Lol, I feel like taking real estate gives you a huge advantage though? 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, StuOttYa said:

RANT:

/RANT.

Feeling exactly the same way. 

Has anyone encountered any "Real-Estate Law 101" type articles/blogs that they would recommend to better understand this material?

On 6/15/2019 at 1:18 PM, StuOttYa said:

RANT:

/RANT.

I'm in the same boat over here for solicitor. tbh I'll be going into the exam without having read all of the materials - I still have 200-300 pages to go and can't manage to get through more than 20-30 pages a day. I haven't taken any solicitor classes other than tax and have had several breakdowns trying to read these materials due to extreme boredom. I honestly felt that carefully reading all the material for the barrister's didn't help and I still had to look everything up (overall I felt the barristers was fine though), so I'm just going to rely on charts and wing this one to preserve my sanity

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, anonymouslawyer said:

I'm in the same boat over here for solicitor. tbh I'll be going into the exam without having read all of the materials - I still have 200-300 pages to go and can't manage to get through more than 20-30 pages a day. I haven't taken any solicitor classes other than tax and have had several breakdowns trying to read these materials due to extreme boredom. I honestly felt that carefully reading all the material for the barrister's didn't help and I still had to look everything up (overall I felt the barristers was fine though), so I'm just going to rely on charts and wing this one to preserve my sanity

The breakdown from extreme boredom is definitely a thing. 8 hours of pure rules a day is mental torture. 

Edited by grishamlaw

On 6/16/2019 at 6:50 AM, grishamlaw said:

Lol, I feel like taking real estate gives you a huge advantage though? 

Yah very glad I took real estate. Wouldn't say it's a huge advantage tho. I don't even understand some of the business stuff.

Is anyone practicing calculations?

8 hours ago, VitaminD said:

😥I am so not looking forward to this tomorrow...

I feel you

1 hour ago, judaspriestmakinthelaw said:

Anyone else not sleep at all last night? Yikes 

You're not alone, couldn't sleep before the barristers either 

On 6/5/2019 at 11:24 PM, Ester said:

I heard rumors that grading is kind of curved too. 

Thank you its good to know at least that they don’t except thousand students get 85%.

but we dont really know we should wait and see. I guess the results will be out end of July sometime.

This rumour pops up every time there is an exam sitting. It is just that, a rumour. If you read through the LSO website they tell you exactly how the exams are graded. (hint: not on a curve)

Using best practices for licencing exams, the passing grade is determined ahead of time but not published. In theory everyone writing can pass or everyone writing can fail. 

They use the Angoff method for marking the exams, similar to most other exams. There is no curve.

Pass rates that have been released have pass rate at 83% (2013-2016).

This information is all available on the LSO website. 

the solicitor went exactly how i thought it would go..pressed for time and lots of educated guesses. However it wasn't as bad as other ppl made it out to be..i guess now we wait. 

Don't know whether I should feel relieved or worried at this point 

Felt fairly confident that I’d pass after the morning session. The afternoon though ... ripped me a new one 

• Like 4