StuOttYa

2019 Ontario bar exams

11 hours ago, ymdr1 said:

I ran into a big timing issue at the exam and not feeling great about it. I acknowledge it was definitely my fault not practicing with the index enough or doing enough practice questions before/timing myself, I approached it thinking its going to be a breeze, and now I'm feeling like shit about it. I had to randomly bubble a lot especially in the first half of the exam (maybe 30-40 questions total part 1+2 bubbled randomly). Now I feel like shit about it and having some stress. Does this affect firm hireback? what's the way to go about it talking to my firm if it does happen that I failed? I know I'm skipping ahead, given that results aren't out, but I just feel terrible about it and taking it pretty badly with the whole stigma about it. 

If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine wrote it a few years ago and felt so terrible about it that she cried. Turns out she passed.

I don't think anyone felt very good leaving the exam; yet, most pass. 

I know this doesn't answer your questions, but try to not get in your head about it too much -- as hard as that is to avoid that. You might be making yourself sick over nothing, when you should be using this time to prep for solicitors (if you're writing this month). You've learned what you need to do to excel on the next one, and that's an important lesson whether you passed or failed the bar. 

Good luck on solicitor if you're writing soon! 

17 hours ago, Rashabon said:

You're not really supposed to be demonstrating you retained material. You're demonstrating you can dig through materials to find the right answer, which is something you have to do in practice.

People who can't pass can't even do that bare minimum which is why they don't get let into practice.

Hmm that makes sense, but given that my entire legal education was centred around me learning how to do this on a computer/ using databases, I just think there are testing methods that are more accurate representations of the profession, eg a computerized exam and having access to legal research softwares to find these answers.

Then again, I have no idea about the cost/benefit of a different testing method, and maybe I'm just bitter because of being stressed for Solicitors.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Born2Law said:

To be honest, the more I reflect on the exam, the more I realize that it was probably one of the dumbest ways of testing us to see if we're "ready to become lawyers". In no way do I feel like I retained any of the information that I was forced to read, and honestly, it just seems to be a money-grab by the LSO. 

Totally agree with you. Could not put it into words in any better way ! 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 11:50 PM, Orches said:

Hey Ester, define “missed”? As in you just didn’t put an answer down?

Pretty much everyone I talked to found it particularly difficult.

Hello Orches, 

by missing I meant I did not even get the chance to fill in the bubbles. I was so traumatized that I could not even talk to people after exam but I overheard some people saying that they could answer all questions and only were not sure if they missed any details in the questions... 

I felt so silly I thought I was the only person having had time issues

16 hours ago, ymdr1 said:

I ran into a big timing issue at the exam and not feeling great about it. I acknowledge it was definitely my fault not practicing with the index enough or doing enough practice questions before/timing myself, I approached it thinking its going to be a breeze, and now I'm feeling like shit about it. I had to randomly bubble a lot especially in the first half of the exam (maybe 30-40 questions total part 1+2 bubbled randomly). Now I feel like shit about it and having some stress. Does this affect firm hireback? what's the way to go about it talking to my firm if it does happen that I failed? I know I'm skipping ahead, given that results aren't out, but I just feel terrible about it and taking it pretty badly with the whole stigma about it. 

Well at least you bubbled all. That probably gives you maybe half of what you randomly bubbled right answers. So I wouldn’t stress so much if I were you. You still did a way better job than people like me who missed to even randomly bubble.

honestly I don’t think that will affect your employment chances. 

I know a guy who failed Barrister and Solicitor once, passed second time and got hired at a large successful firm. 

I felt like garbage. Went into it cautiously optimistic, and then couldn’t believe how much “educated” guessing I had to do. There were so many repetitive themes (expert evidence, transcripts) that I did not get right. And then public law was a total crapshoot. 

I agree with an earlier comment about the PR being gut feeling. The more I learn and study the more I realize I got so many wrong. 

9 hours ago, Alias said:

I felt like garbage. Went into it cautiously optimistic, and then couldn’t believe how much “educated” guessing I had to do. There were so many repetitive themes (expert evidence, transcripts) that I did not get right. And then public law was a total crapshoot. 

I agree with an earlier comment about the PR being gut feeling. The more I learn and study the more I realize I got so many wrong. 

I agree with you on the repetitive themes (more noticeably examination/discovery for me). PR felt like almost every answer was to get your retainer before doing anything for the client. Lots of questions felt too complex or lengthy which just led me to be frustrated about wasting time reading the question to make sure i didn't miss any detail; as a result i would just make my best guess and move on. 

The exam was tough and truly felt like a race against the clock, but I know people who missed up to 20-30 questions completely and passed...gotta look at this positively going into the dreaded solicitor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ester said:

Who’s taking solicitor this November? 

Probably me, as a rewrite.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Born2Law said:

I'm gonna attempt the June one too

Good luck. 

Where did you get the sample questions from may I ask? 

6 hours ago, Ester said:

Good luck. 

Where did you get the sample questions from may I ask? 

I bought the OLE indices, and those came with a sample exam!

18 minutes ago, Born2Law said:

I bought the OLE indices, and those came with a sample exam!

Thanks 

7 hours ago, Alias said:

Probably me, as a rewrite.

Why rewrite? If you are writing it in June maybe you should wait for the results to come out first 😛

do you know any other place to buy sample questions from other than OLE? 

3 minutes ago, Ester said:

Why rewrite? If you are writing it in June maybe you should wait for the results to come out first 😛

do you know any other place to buy sample questions from other than OLE? 

Jumping in - but I know a few people who bought it from Emond

• Like 1

Has anyone bought the solicitor summary from Ontario Law Exam? It says they were last updated in 2016 but I'm wondering if they'd still be legit. Really just looking for any useful summary/chart/whatever at this point as I feel like I 100% will not be able to get through reading all the materials in time.

48 minutes ago, ALtheOctopus said:

Has anyone bought the solicitor summary from Ontario Law Exam? It says they were last updated in 2016 but I'm wondering if they'd still be legit. Really just looking for any useful summary/chart/whatever at this point as I feel like I 100% will not be able to get through reading all the materials in time.

I would read all the materials provided by the law society. I don’t think relying on a summary would do. 

2 hours ago, Ester said:

I would read all the materials provided by the law society. I don’t think relying on a summary would do. 

Oh ya definitely I'm still trying to read the materials, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the summaries as a supplement to better understand. The Bar Exam Crackers summaries were last updated in 2016 so I was wondering if anyone had bought them and knew whether they were still decent or not. 

Ugh anyone else having horrible thoughts thinking they failed the barrister? When do the results come out, and are there any tell-tale signs to know whether you failed? What are some speculations about the passing rate/grade?