Sign in to follow this  
StuOttYa

2019 Ontario bar exams

Thought I'd start a space to talk about the Ontario Licensing Exams this year. How is everyone feeling?

I feel like it could go either way, I had just enough time to answer every question while looking up most of them. Still felt like a big time crunch though, I'm worried I may have rushed too much when reading the questions and missed key details 

I missed 15 questions on each part of exam :( overall time was the major issue for me.

though, I had enough time to look for most of the questions I answered.

however, I feel like some questions were not covered in the materials. Anyone had the same experience? 

Really struggled with that. Consistently got 85%+ on all practice tests while simulating test day situations,  so it's not like I wasn't prepared.

I felt the OLE index was terrible for Professional Responsibility, and for other sections I struggled to find things as well. 

I know that post-exam people tend to focus on the questions they couldn't find/guessed on, but I found that 2nd half to be extremely difficult. Especially Public Law.

I found the OLE index so bad for pro res too.. I was left guessing a lot of them. And public was definitely tricky in my opinion. I also noticed the same concept got tested like 4 times which started to throw me off a bit.

I have a personal theory (backed up by no authority whatsoever) that a lot of the PR questions they ask you on the bar are just "gut feeling" questions, and not something that can be directly referenced in the materials.

Like, "Should you steal from your clients - yes or no?" - there's probably no "should I steal from clients" section of the materials. But that's just my impression from having written the exam a few years ago.

• Like 2

I found Public Law to be super tricky as well -> I felt like a lot of the questions were not in the materials. Also, such an asshole move on the LSO's part to include a question from the addendum and from the By-laws. I definitely wasted too much time on those questions.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, 

I was so traumatized by the exam that I did not get the chance to ask how did everyone else do with it?

my main issue what the time. 

I missed 15 questions on each exam and overall found some questions were not covered in materials.

did anyone else find time an issue?

1 hour ago, beyondsection17 said:

I have a personal theory (backed up by no authority whatsoever) that a lot of the PR questions they ask you on the bar are just "gut feeling" questions, and not something that can be directly referenced in the materials.

Like, "Should you steal from your clients - yes or no?" - there's probably no "should I steal from clients" section of the materials. But that's just my impression from having written the exam a few years ago.

I mean, there's always a rule that governs it that you can find, but the questions need to be factual while the rules need to cover a variety of situations. PR is pretty fair and not that hard if you think for a moment. The answer is almost always "reach out to your client to discuss".

• Like 1

There was one really really bizarre question in public law.  The other difficult ones I think were in the materials, but you had to get the answer from multiple places in the materials and I don't think I always had the time to do that.

They can't fail all of us though.

I don’t know really. There’s nothing else I could do to better prepare I think. But yet I am very unhappy with how the exam went overall. 

Questions were super tricky and did not have enough time to look for answers. 

I don’t know how they will mark the exams I’m only hoping that majority will pass 

34 minutes ago, Ester said:

I don’t know really. There’s nothing else I could do to better prepare I think. But yet I am very unhappy with how the exam went overall. 

Questions were super tricky and did not have enough time to look for answers. 

I don’t know how they will mark the exams I’m only hoping that majority will pass 

I get why you're nervous, you ran out of time and couldn't answer 30 questions.  However, there are 240 questions, maybe only 200 get graded.  You missed 30 out of 200, that leaves 85%.  The LSO does not disclose the cut-off but the cut-off is probably way lower than 85%.  If the cut-off is 85% I probably failed too, as would half the test takers.  I don't think the pass rate is actually 90%, but I guarantee it is not 50% either.

I heard rumors that grading is kind of curved too. 

Thank you its good to know at least that they don’t except thousand students get 85%.

but we dont really know we should wait and see. I guess the results will be out end of July sometime.

Hey Ester, define “missed”? As in you just didn’t put an answer down?

Pretty much everyone I talked to found it particularly difficult.

Hmm. I found it to be difficult but nothing really unexpected. Part 1 was more difficult for me than part 2, but Public law was kind of killer. I read prof resp a few times so rarely had to look up stuff for it and that saved me a lot of time. 

That said, I was more comfortable with these subjects than I am with the solicitor material... not excited for this next test...

57 minutes ago, hopefulfamilylaw said:

Hmm. I found it to be difficult but nothing really unexpected. Part 1 was more difficult for me than part 2, but Public law was kind of killer. I read prof resp a few times so rarely had to look up stuff for it and that saved me a lot of time. 

That said, I was more comfortable with these subjects than I am with the solicitor material... not excited for this next test...

Neither am I! 

I can’t even think of studying for solicitor ! I thought Barrister would be more interesting and also easier to pass and I was wrong. 

I don’t know how am I going to pass next one. 

10 hours ago, Born2Law said:

I found Public Law to be super tricky as well -> I felt like a lot of the questions were not in the materials. Also, such an asshole move on the LSO's part to include a question from the addendum and from the By-laws. I definitely wasted too much time on those questions.

Remember, each question is worth the same amount. If after reading it for a couple seconds you get the impression you don’t know the answer, skip it and come back. Get all the “easier” questions knocked out of the way so you have time to get back to the tougher ones. 

If you’re struggling on a question for more than 1.5 mins (or whatever the timing works out to) circle anything and move on. 

To be honest, the more I reflect on the exam, the more I realize that it was probably one of the dumbest ways of testing us to see if we're "ready to become lawyers". In no way do I feel like I retained any of the information that I was forced to read, and honestly, it just seems to be a money-grab by the LSO. 

• Like 1

You're not really supposed to be demonstrating you retained material. You're demonstrating you can dig through materials to find the right answer, which is something you have to do in practice.

People who can't pass can't even do that bare minimum which is why they don't get let into practice.

• Like 4

I ran into a big timing issue at the exam and not feeling great about it. I acknowledge it was definitely my fault not practicing with the index enough or doing enough practice questions before/timing myself, I approached it thinking its going to be a breeze, and now I'm feeling like shit about it. I had to randomly bubble a lot especially in the first half of the exam (maybe 30-40 questions total part 1+2 bubbled randomly). Now I feel like shit about it and having some stress. Does this affect firm hireback? what's the way to go about it talking to my firm if it does happen that I failed? I know I'm skipping ahead, given that results aren't out, but I just feel terrible about it and taking it pretty badly with the whole stigma about it.